USWNT v Netherlands, Sept 18, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Sep 17, 2016.

1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I heard that as well. Makes me wonder what the new contract will look like.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well....
    Jackie Melksham was from number 7 Australia and ms. Petignat was from number 15 Switzerland.

The Canadians might point out which ref came from number 20 Denmark.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Or if this is an in case there is a strike viewing. Unless a new CBA is in place next year USSF face a possible work stoppage.

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd only accept if BS agrees to give me a one-month grace period before creating a "Fire lil_one" thread. :laugh:

Semblance17, Airox, MiLLeNNiuM and 2 others repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I've only been there for football. Are you saying the crowd was quiet or that it was hard to hear the crowd because of how sound travels in the venue?

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The crowd was incredibly quiet (other than the Outlaws) until the US tied things up.

Semblance17 and sitruc repped this.
  7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Depends on you. If you drop Heath, I'll start the thread immediately.

Semblance17 repped this.
  8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well it's not fair using current ranking. Melksham might still not reached Australia's ranking in 2011 but it wasnt #7. Pederson was from Norway and I dont think they were top 10 in 2012 either and the Swiss have never been top 10. Regardless, a crew from Trinidad probably doesnt work a lot of matches between teams the level of the US and NL and their problems with the speed of play showed.

9. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be much better than 50-50 in favor of Rapinoe in future games. But not for a good reason. In the future, the people who would boo Rapinoe simply won't be there. They're not going to spend money to support this nonsense.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Stay on point. I asked you if you think all flag wavers are Patriots and if you have ever expressed doubts about any flag wavers motives.

Instead you turn this to Rapinoe being washed up. Ok, let's do that.
    There were lots of people on the pitch tonight who weren't good enough for the number one team in the World, including the keeper and the entire back four. Rapinoe wasn't on the pitch when we went down 0-1. She did get the ball in the box to a player for Long's goal.

Engen was a wet mess. She had to get subbed out by Krieger, who at least understood that a defenders job is to defend( where was Brandi's commentary when we needed it?)
    Saurbrunn got beat on a regular basis, including the Denmark goal. Johnston was out of position, apparently thinking the folks in red were Thailand. They both looked slow. Saurbrunn is gettin on in years and showed her 31 year old legs might be done. ...what was Johnston's excuse?

Naher had a good stop, let in a poor goal, and was casual about protecting the ball with a forward running on to her. I not so sure throwing Hope's phone number away was Jill's brightest move. The current Kepler situation is not a step up.

And Press still doesn't know how to put a ball on frame.

I could go on. But I know one subject and we'll talk about that. We started with Rapinoes motives and your hunches. I asked what other hunches you have about flag wavers.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I do not think all flag wavers are patriots and doubt their motives.

Do you think Rapinoe may have extra motives or can gain personally from this?

There is a difference between being washed up and not recovered from an injury.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Nonsense. The USA cheers winners. Controversy sells seats. Tonight was over 15K. Compare to attendance in friendlies before she took a knee, and it's right on average.

That's pretty amazing considering this isn't a victory tour.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    First off Klingenberg isnt catching the starting forward from the weight watchers all-star team let alone a fast forward but for me the defensive breakdown wasnt one of speed. For whatever reason Johnston and Sauerbrunn were standing about five feet apart when the counter started.

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I didn't defend Kling. I said the whole back line was poor.

And neither Johnston nor Saurbrunn showed any closing speed on that counter.

15. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Depends on how you want to look at it. I would argue that pre-Olympic friendly attendances (and pre-Copa attendances) were amazingly disappointing.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #116 Cliveworshipper, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

Yes. Exactly my point. And that was before Rapinoe took a knee. So how does it show her taking a knee is affecting attendance negatively?

I would expect that after the worst FIFA tournament result in the entire history of US involvement in women's international soccer attendance would drop.

It hasn't, which could just as well show her controversy is helping attendance.

So yeah, how you look at it may have little to do with facts.

Also very American these days.

17. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance was not going to drop for these 2 games because of Rapinoe. Those tickets were already bought. Going forward there will be plenty of people who would have gone who now won't. Who's going to spend money to go boo their national team when they can just stay home?

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Just my opinion but I thought USSF made a mistake handling Rapinoe. If I were Ellis I simply wouldnt have put her in. No grand gesture...no explanation. If Rapinoe questions it the reply is coaches decision.

Airox, Timbuck and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    we'll see. Thus far this year the poor attendance has been mostly due to poor venue scheduling, odd times, competing against their own clubs for fans, and poor opponents. If you went to the Thailand match expecting great soccer you are a jackass. Apparently that was also true tonight, but I don't think that had to do with the opponent.
    ( love to see what Jill says about her choices for starters)
    I think it's funny that the tv people are making it about Rapinoe. It's about poor coaching and poor play.

Mindless fools, obviously. People who want to watch soccer will go to games. :whistling:

20. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the "Curse of Solo," (just like the "Curse of the Bambino" of old).
    I knew it would come back to haunt this team. :ROFLMAO:

21. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    So people will still show up and support a woman's team that didn't when the gold medal, where 1 players gets in trouble and another likes to protest for equal rights?.. (she can still get fired in 30 states in America for being gay, let's call a spade a spade. How ********ing american is that? equal rights are important.)
    It's all so ...not proper for girls...and they still are admired? wtf.

the 99'ers must be really confused besides all the old white men on this board.

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  22. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, Rapione serves as a good distraction from the poor coaching and play on the field.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #123 Cliveworshipper, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

The USSF came up with a new concept partway through the game. The decided the needed a win. And the prospects for holding the lead were sketchy.

Ellis already looked like an idiot expecting Engen could handle the three back formation against the # 12 team. It took her 37 minutes to pull her. Her handling of Hope looked like it was backfiring in the second minute, and Naeher's casual handling of the ball in the face of an oncoming forward with better ball skills and Speed looked Bouhaddi-ish.
    No forward but Lloyd, who constantly bails her out, looked like they have remembered their shooting skills from youth soccer.

Can she PLEASE find a forward who can score? The Netherlands Had more USA goals than our forwards.

Credit Jill.Putting Rapinoe in and getting a third goal from her service and two yellows on the opponent was a diversionary stroke of genius.

Pay no attention to the coach behind the curtain...

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

But not in Illinois, where the USSF and nwsl are incorporated, or in Washington, where her club is.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I just looked at the replay of lloyd's goal. Engen made the nicely timed pass to Tobin to get her Behind the defence.

So ... I take back some of the mean thoughts I had....but not all.