USWNT v Netherlands, Sept 18, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Sep 17, 2016.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The match against the Netherlands is at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta and kicks off at 7 pm ET. It will be televised on Fox Sports 1.

There is a public training at 6 pm ET on Sept 17 (today), which I'm headed to. I'll be back with a report. :)

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Semblance17 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sitruc and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, Lil can clarify what I just witnessed at practice......looked like 6 C/D's and M/F's.
    ....and Ali wasn't running with the starters?!?!
    Luckily, my confusion does not affect my absolute adoration.

23 Hours and 29 minutes to Kick.

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to mention that O'Hara wasn't there although at the time I didn't know why.

Training Overview:
    Warm-up: 10 minutes of passing, stretching, doing their own thing. About 5 minutes early (before 6), they started a dynamic movement warmup. After about 10 minutes, they went into passing and volleys in groups of 4. If you've seen the 2-training-1 pattern in soccer drills, this was similar but was 3-training-1 and then they switched. I didn't watch the goalkeeper warm-ups as much, but did notice that there was a camera on the goalkeeper warmup. Then they finished the warm-up in groups of 4 doing short-short-long passing. Dawn Scott ran all of the warm-up.

Then the whole team gathered in the middle of the field, and Gustavsson talked a bit about tactics with some cones before they split up into a half-field scrimmage (looked like mostly shadow defending). The team that looked like the possible starting lineup was Engen (playing right back), Sauerbrunn, JJ, Kling (who played really far up into the midfield so that it looked like a 3 back); Brian, Long, Horan; Lloyd, Morgan, and Heath (Heath as RM and Lloyd and Morgan playing close together). Actually it almost looked like a 3-5-2 at times with Lloyd and Morgan up top and Kling playing in the midfield. The other team was Rapinoe, Dunn, Mewis, Krieger, Sonnett, Harris (playing as a field player) plus staff to fill out the team. Naeher was in goal.

Then the team gathered again to switch some pinnies, and the lineup (with the possible subs for tomorrow?) switched to Krieger, JJ, Sonnett, Kling (again playing far up); Sauerbrunn (playing dmid), Mewis, Rapinoe; Dunn, Lloyd, and Press.

Then they played 4v4 on small fields with full-size goals. The teams were Lloyd, Sauerbrunn, Heath, and Klingenberg versus JJ, Morgan, Horan and Brian. The other set of 4v4 was Sonnett, Long, Mewis, and Dunn versus Rapinoe, Press, Krieger, and Engen.

After 2 rounds of 2-3 minute 4v4, they split up to practice corner kicks and free kicks on one end and crossing/shooting on the other. Brian took all the corner kicks and free kicks, and it was Morgan, Lloyd, JJ, Long, Horan, and Engen in the 18 trying to finish them with only Gustavsson to play shadow keeper/defender. Gustavsson was mostly running the corner kick and free kick practice, and at the end had a pretty animated conversation with Brian in which he looked to be showing her where he wanted her to be serving the ball.

Dunn went off early and was sitting on the bench while crossing and corner practice was happening. She also left when the rest of the players started signing at the end of practice. She looked to be moving okay, but she could possibly be nursing a slight injury.

After crosses/corners, Lloyd practiced some penalties (Long also took one). While Lloyd was taking pk's, the rest of the team had some free time to practice whatever (Most went to the other end to join the shooting/crossing practice.). In that free time, Long, Horan, and Brian looked to be practicing passes, switching the field, and movement off the ball in the middle of the field.

After about an hour of practice, the team started their cool-down. Almost all of the players signed at the end, except for Rapinoe and Heath (I'm not sure about Heath, but I think that's who was sitting next to Rapinoe while everyone else was signing). Horan also did some extra stretching and looked to be getting some treatment while everyone else was signing, but Horan did come over and sign after that. Sauerbrunn was also the only player I noticed who came back to sign a few extra after the staff had already called everyone else to go back towards the locker room.

exref, jackdoggy, lunatica and 3 others repped this.
  6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice write-up, thanks for the insight. I'm curious, why aren't more forwards taking practice PK's? I love the fact that Lloyd always puts the extra time into that part of her game and only wish more players would follow suit. I was certain that we'd be seeing Morgan and Press practicing PK's more often.

exref repped this.
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Because Lloyd never comes off :)

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also wondered why no one else practiced pk's, but thought it could have been because it was public training. Also Lloyd was taking pk's on an empty net, so it wasn't the best situation for real pk practice. Harris was on the other end in the crossing/shooting practice, and Naeher was at the center of the field discussing something with the goalkeeper coach while Lloyd was taking her pk's.

I had the same question though about why no one else took a free kick or corner kick. I thought Heath would have taken a couple of them.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I forgot about this match. It was just after midnight when I first saw this thread. I saw the date, looked at my computer and saw the date and thought I missed the game somehow.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Too bad...it was epic
    Score was 13-0
    Lloyd scored three bicycle kick goals including one the half line
    Egan had a hat trick despite not getting in until the 87th minute
    Alex Morgan revealed she is Dutch royalty
    HAO disguised herself as Mallory Pugh and got another start
    Rapinoe punched Ellis in the nose as a new kind of protest

oh yeah and Sauerbrunn got Budweiser Player of the Match again.

exref, sitruc, MiLLeNNiuM and 2 others repped this.
  11. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just glad Lil was born with a photographic memory.:D:D:D
    I want the Orange.
    13 hours and 23 minutes to Kick.

12. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I'll be watching tonight, more to see if Rapinoe shoots herself in the foot or not, than the game. She's painted herself into a corner and will have to do her thing, even though it will likely result in a suspension if she does. USSOCCER has made it's position clear and she has to decide if she wants to be a part of the NATs or not. This could be the last time we see her. I see no way out for her from the mess shes made for herself unless Ellis doesnt dress her

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No photographic memory...I took some notes. :geek: I'm pretty sure the people sitting in front of me thought I was part of the Dutch federation. :D

14. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???
    :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I was rolling when I read these; I'd give you 2 Reps if I could for these last lines.

15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm, glad you'll be watching. The purpose of a protest is to have people pay attention.

One wonders how many people will watch just to see Rapinoe.

If Rapinoe is thrown off the National Team for this mild, legal, peaceful, and only mildly offensive protest how many people will boycott the WNT?

McSkillz repped this.
  16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you!!!
    Will Melis be playing for them today?
    Are the lineups available yet?

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's hibernation time. No one will notice a boycott.

18. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it funny how the ESPN2/FS1 covering the USWNT are starting 5 minutes earlier than they normally would just to show the Rapinoe thing.

kernel_thai repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They had actually been doing this for a few of their broadcasts before this.

20. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I currently serve in the military and won't be watching the USWNT until Rapinoe's protest ends. I have worn the flag and been shot at/attacked while doing so. I respect her right to protest and will continue to support the Reign, but if she can't stand for the anthem she doesn't need to play for the National team. Just my opinion...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Melis retired from the NT after the Netherlands failed to qualify for the Olympics.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    FS1 has pre game listed at 7pm and kickoff listed at 7:30

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wouldnt be surprised to see her there tho with Seattle being off. Maybe FOX chats her up.

24. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's too bad, she's still one of the best European players out there.
    I guess with Miedema coming in, the Orange aren't overly concerned.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders