USWNT v Germany (SheBelieves), March 1, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Feb 27, 2017.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I have some time to sit down and write, here's some thoughts:
    • The US listed the formation as 3-4-2-1, with I guess Williams as the point of the spear. In play, I think it was more of a 3-4-1-2 with Press and Williams playing even and Lloyd sitting right behind them. The three-back is supposed to open things up more in offense by having so many forward, but it wasn't really doing that in the first half. I think we did see the team able to find more seams and making more runs in the second half. I'm starting to see the value in the formation, but I still wonder if a three back will hold up against a team like France, who I think will get in behind more than Germany did.
    • Overall, Germany had better control of the midfield and did well in pressing our midfield, but the US did well in defense in keeping most everything in front of them and forcing Germany to take outside shots. The US had the better of the chances. I also thought we did well in our midfield dropping to defend, which is the biggest reason in my opinion for our back three holding up. All four of the midfielders did great in dropping back and covering the backline. In the first half, I think we did actually too well at covering and defending and not enough attacking.
    • I'm still not convinced on Short. Although she did fairly well in defending (even though she did get turned a couple of times), she had multiple silly giveaways. I wonder how JJ would look in the backline of 3. She's a better pure defender although JJ also tends to kick the ball into nowhere land.
    • Williams had a quiet first half with some notably poor first touches. She also seemed to struggle on making smart runs although I wonder if it was partly a lack of chemistry, her runs not being where Lloyd and Press expected them. All three of the frontline weren't making great runs though in the first half. Williams gained confidence though after she scored, and had some great touches in. She had a really great turn in the 75ish minute although her shot was off.
    • Dunn didn't have a great game, and I can't pinpoint exactly what it was. She played even more poorly when she switched to the left. When Pugh came on, she was able to open things up more although that may have partly been because Germany was getting tired.
    • Heath's corners were odd. Many of them were coming out closer to the penalty mark rather than the top of the 8. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it did contribute to us not being able to get any good chances off the corners.
    • I don't think Lloyd was getting involved enough in the first half. She was more involved in the second half, and looked pretty good. She did seem to take less shots than usual, and I wondered if that was instruction from Ellis or not. In one case towards the end of the game, I thought she should've taken the shot instead of passing.
    • For the most part, I liked Mewis instead of Horan sitting back by Brian. I think Mewis is generally better in defense than Horan, and Mewis is also developing a pretty good sense of spraying the ball around. I think they'll be even better once Mewis and Brian develop better chemistry together and can read where each other are going to be.
    • Naeher was solid. She had a great save in the first half.
    • We need to be tighter on finishing, but I expect that after 4 months away from the field. I would have liked to see another youngster get a few minutes in at the end, such as McDonald or Lavelle getting time instead of Horan. But mostly, I have few complaints; the game as a whole was good, not great but about what I expected after the extended time away.

jnielsen, cpthomas, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Caversham

Caversham Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I agree with most of what lil_one said and will add some more:
    • I was surprised the 3 back worked so well. A lot of the success was due to the superb midfield assistance and poor German attack. I'm still interested to see how the 3 back performs defensively against France. A back 3 is theoretically supposed to lead to more offensive chances which did not happen.
    • One of the two forwards needs to be capable of holding the ball and playing with back to goal. Both Press and Williams were frequently dispossessed when performing this role and it killed multiple attacks.
    • The US had trouble playing out of the back primarily because both Brian and Mewis had trouble getting open. This is partially due to the German press, but the US also needs it's wide players (Dunn and Heath) to play wider, like one foot on the touchline wider; and also needs more movement from its front three (Lloyd, Press, Willams). Both of these things should hopefully open up more space in the center midfield.
    • The US started looking better immediately after Pugh came on. Pugh probably won more take-ons than the rest of the team combined and probably started 4-5 attacks by herself as a result of these take-ons.
    • The US corners were horrendous. Heath's horrendous delivery was obvious, but often we only had 4 players in and around the box, this should be closer to 6-7 players. We also lacked height in the box.
    • I'm not convinced that Short is good enough at this level. She was beat multiple times and had multiple bad give aways. I don't think JJ would have made as many mistakes. For those concerned about JJ's long ball nowhere land passes, both Short and Sauerbrunn had those this game as well, I probably counted 20 from both combined.
    • I'm not convinced that Williams is good enough at this level, especially with that first touch.

lil_one, sitruc and Namdynamo repped this.
  4. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On crosses - - wind big factor(for everyone)
    Williams - - ridiculous, ridiculous speed/bursts
    Coach Jon - - Legend
    On to NJ

CoachJon repped this.
  5. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Does anyone else miss JJ getting on the end of free kicks and corners? I don't think Loyd / Long are enough of aerial threat.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think Lynn Williams will be a star with the USWNT. Some of you are judging a young kid who just made the team a few months ago and dismissing her as not ready at this level. I say B.S. This kid is tall, fast, and athletic and has a nose for goal. You can't teach that. Everything else you can. Her touch isn't all that bad and the move/turn she made in the 69th minute is pure professional, reminded me of the young Abby Wambach. The USWNT needs a tall, physical forward with mobility, and who has a nose for goal.
    She is still young and learning, but will be star in the coming years. Give her time.

For the Casey Short doubters, IMO, she is the new left back for the USWNT. I see her a lot as a Red Star. She can zoom down the left flank and get back with ease. Her coming out last NWSL season was when the Red Stars played Spirit in Chicago and Short completely shut down Crystal Dunn down, which is extremely difficult to do. Jill Ellis was in the stands that game and saw what she saw. Like Williams, she is young and a newbie, will get better with each game.

The one that worries me is Julie Johnston. Seems like she has lost her starting position in the middle of the defense to Long. Julie is not a left or right defender, she is a middle defender. Her situation will be interesting to watch.

Even Morgan's position on the team is not etched in stone. She will be on the team, but whether she is a standard starter under the new Ellis philosophy, we have still yet to find out. I personally like the Williams - Press combination.

Jill Ellis has a couple of years to experiment before the next WWC and she is doing that by bringing in new kids and telling the old ones, bye, bye. Thank You Jill! Solo is gone, Rapinoe is gone and hopefully we'll see a couple more of the older generation leave the team soon. Too much talent in the NWSL to keep bringing in the same ole, same ole.

CoachJon repped this.
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ok, saw it this morning.
    1. Steffi Jones has had nothing to do since November except pick out teal uniforms and figure out how to expose Long in the 3back. Well, at least the uniforms showed up. Long was given the night off while Sauer & Short did a good job slowing down the German wide attack.
    2. Thought Mewis had a good match
    3. If Press were trying to kick the ball thru the Gateway Arch in a big game she would manage to hit it.
    4. Williams made the German defenders look sloth like. That said, she is still one of those power hitters who go 1-5 with 4 strikeouts and a home run and everyone goes "did u see the ball she cranked out of here?"
    5. When was the last time the US threatened to score on a corner kick...2015 WC?
    6. Horan timeline ... #9 - #6 - #8 -#10 - #9 Plays well into the Ellis theory that position doesn't matter.
    7. U would have thought Dunn would be the most played in but looked like she hadn't seen a soccer ball before.

8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A few observations
    The corners were brutal but mostly due to wind (why are we playing these games on the northeast coast in March?)
    I thought the 3 back scenario slowed the game tremendously. The incessant needless passing out of the back did nothing for the game. To my recollection Naeher did not play a single punt (in the first half she had a 15 mph wind at her back)
    The midfield was non existent while they tried to lay out of the back
    Williams had some great speed but horrible finishing (what was she thinking on that breakaway)
    and finally,our midfield was woefully awful trying to jam the ball in the middle of the field when we had wide open runs outside

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, building the attack out of the back is our new style and I like it. That's the way pro soccer should be played. The rest of the world plays like that, especially on the men's side and so should we. More technical savvy is how we should be, like the Japanese. So what if the game is slowed down. Ever watch a Brazil game or a Mexican league game? It takes a half an hour to bring the ball past midfield with all the passing back and forth.
    The days of kicking it long to Abby are over.

cpthomas and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  10. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #85 RevsRule, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    So My take on the game is this:

1) I liked our overall speed except Sauerbrunn and Lloyd.... They were both looking much slower than the others to me

2) I did think we were having trouble creating many shots but this is the second best team in the world.

3) I've always liked Press but she needs about 3 good chances to score one

4) I like Lynn Williams. Fast and physical. She screwed up on the breakaway. I see her as the replacement for Morgan

5) Pugh is a starter. She is do good in every way. Could just see the quality of the passing get better once she entered

6) There is no need any more for Rapino or Solo. She is an embarrassment and only marginal now, and Solo is too much trouble and the others look good enough to carry the team. Good a time as any to make the break

I think Lloyd is the next to go. Shes not mobile enough to play the withdrawn forward. Father time has caught up with her

MRAD12 repped this.
  11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm not a Casey Short doubter, I thought she had a nice game.

I just hate to see Kling relegated. Imo, (after Carli), Kling was our most key player at the WC. She was our best playmaker, as an overlapping LB.

jjmack repped this.
  12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    My guess is that they wanted to limit the travel burden for the guests.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The philosophy has changed. What they want to do coming out of the back now, I don't think Kling is suited for.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yeah-- but so far neither is Short.

Fortunately, people get better (Short) and aren't necessarily one trick ponies (Kling.)

15. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Jill's philosophy was always for the outside backs to make runs and get forward.
    Kling is a much better all-around soccer player than Short. Short is faster, yet Kling's positioning is better.

16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few of my observations:

I agree with posters have said about Dunn. From the beginning, on the right, she was having trouble with her defensive responsibilities. It seemed like she wasn't quite sure where she should be positioned on the field. And then, she was giving her opponent too much room -- she's really quick, but not quick enough to close down the space before her opponent could get a cross off. Maybe it was just a bad game, or maybe she needs more time figuring out how to play the defensive side of that position.

I also agree with some of what posters have said about Short. She had some bad turnovers, one in particular that could have been real trouble, and I get nervous when she has the ball. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but did players stop passing the ball to her towards the end of the game?) But credit to her, she always managed to get back and do something to ameliorate the damage. And I like her work rate. I'm not sure that Klingenberg is out of the picture -- she got injured at the end of the NWSL season, and she's not fully recovered yet. Ellis has mentioned this. So, if she can recover, she may be back in the picture. The injury, however, really slowed her down and hurt her play, so if she's going to be back she needs to be fully recovered.

I wasn't as happy with Mewis as some. I actually liked Horan better, I think she's a better and more creative passer.

Long had a great game, but she wasn't tested that much. She is very composed on the ball, which I'm guessing is something Ellis really likes for that position. And, I think her passing skills are superior to JJs, by quite a bit. On the other hand, JJ is excellent in the air.

Both Williams and Press improved as the game went on and looked very good in the second half. They don't seem to be looking for each other much, though. If they're both going to be on the field at the same time, they need to develop the ability to work together better.

Overall, I was happy. Germany is, after all, the #2 team in the world.

Namdynamo, jnielsen and lil_one repped this.
  17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That may be. Though, I think Kling is one of the best passers in the pool.

If there is anything in a 3 back set up that Kling might be less adept at, imo, it would be having the speed to be a little more exposed than she would be as a 442 FB. I don't think it's the "coming out of the back" part that relegates her, it would be the defending part. Just my opinion.

On that note, I saw some reference to her somewhere as being in the outside mid/winger pool. If so, she would be in competition with Tobin for the playmaker winger (as opposed to Pugh/Dunn for the speedy winger). She won't beat out Tobin for that (though I think she's a better passer).

And, also on that note, I don't like what the 3 in the back does to Brunn's game. She's possibly the best CB in the world. She doesn't have the speed to be exposed as an outside back in a 3 player back line. And, Brunn makes nice penetrating runs on occasion with the ball, when the opportunity is there. At her spot, she's anchored to the back line. Actually, they were saying that Long, in the middle, is supposed to distribute and have some freedom to go forward. I like Long, but I think Becky would be better at that than Allie.

I know 3 in the back is kind of the trend. It gives us an extra player forward (which basically lets Carli do her "drift" thing). But, to me, it neutralizes the advantages we get from two of the best defenders in USWNT history.

I'll be pulling for Short.

Namdynamo and CoachJon repped this.
  18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Sauerbrunn over Long in the middle, we agree. I just don't think its going to happen because Ellis seems to be emphasizing the quarterbacking role of the central defender over the defensive responsibilities.

19. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I agree with you re: Ellis. But, I think that Becky is likely better at that QB'ing than Allie. She has been outstanding at QB'ing out of the back. It's my perception (I could easily be wrong) that teams were pressing her with their forward, to force the QB duties to JJ, who (imo) is much less adept at it.

SccrDon repped this.
  20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I see, and get also from some comments in a Q&A with Heath, is that the 3-back system is very demanding of the outside mids and the outside backs. This is both in terms of defending and moving forward. Especially in terms of defending, it's really demanding. Maybe Ellis prefers Becky in the very demanding position, even if she might be stronger in the middle. I do agree, however, that Becky, at times, appeared to struggle a little especially when moving forward. But again based on the Heath Q&A, the outside players are anticipating having to struggle for a while. They are seeing this tournament as a chance to gain experience and knowledge about how to play their positions against the best opposition in the world. In that context, Heath, at least, was very pleased with how the Germany game went.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know this can be a taboo subject in soccer(even though it's common talk in basketball) but Ellis started 4 much more athletic(than white folks), African Americans, and they easily were the most dominant players of the game. Do you think this might be the New World Order for Ellis? As you can see even France heading this way with all the more athletic black players they got

And it does sort of makes sense; while the US has had no problem beating a techno minded teams like Germany, it's the more physical/athletic Scandinavian squads that seem to have the US number; both Sweden & Denmark have last game wins ve US, Iceland had a tie). To beat them, we got to up our game with a lot more speedier game.

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, no, they weren't. In fact, many have already pointed out that Dunn had a poor game. And several have suggested that Short and Williams's weaknesses were exposed. Pugh played well, but didn't start.

In any case, race is not necessarily tied to athleticism here.

Namdynamo, jnielsen and Airox repped this.
  23. giatano

giatano Member

Aug 26, 2009
    old brown jug tavern newcastle
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Is Rose Lavelle , number one pick in NWSL draft, really that low in rating, that she can't
    make a token appearance in a friendly, in the East, and against a top opponent. Just 5 minutes is all im saying.
    Maybe she will be starting against England and play the entire game? Against good teams the current
    formation being used by US, puts enormous burden on the outside mids defensively and basically
    eliminates them from the attack, you live with it. You also live with Carli lloyd, who the coaches
    desperately wanted to keep out of the middle of the field, and trust your athleticism will win the day.
    Please Coach do not try to disguise this formation and these tactics as something that will bring creativity,
    and inspire the personality of the players on the ball, bringing new life to this team, The only thing that was new Wednesday was how uninspired Germany was, and how this game truly meant very little to them.

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Germans didnt use it as an excuse but there are hints that the team was still suffering from jetlag. Hence, the not performing in the 2nd half. Sunday Buli games, Monday flight to US, Wednesday game. That all was a bit too much

RalleeMonkey and jnielsen repped this.
  25. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im of the strong opinion that if you did not go to school on the West Coast, you need not apply with Ellis. I know that there are exceptions but Ellis is heavily in favor of Cali colleges for the most part.

PS - I'm still not convinced Ellis it the best option but Im giving her a chance to fail. We need an Anson Dorrance type coach that is willing to find the undiscovered talent, no matter where they are, and bring them in