USWNT v Germany (SheBelieves), March 1, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Feb 27, 2017.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a couple days away, so its definitely time for a match thread.

The US will begin play in the SheBelieves Cup with a match against the defending Olympic champions, Germany. The game is in Chester, PA, and kickoff is at 7 pm ET (The match is preceded by the England v France match at 4 pm ET). It will be shown on FoxSports 1 and FoxSoccer2Go.

US roster:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Jane Campbell (Houston Dash), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)
    DEFENDERS (6): Julie Johnston (Chicago Red Stars), Ali Krieger (Orlando Pride), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars), Emily Sonnett (Portland Thorns FC)
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Rose Lavelle (Boston Breakers), Carli Lloyd (Manchester City), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Samantha Mewis (NC Courage), Brianna Pinto (CASL)
    FORWARDS (6): Crystal Dunn (Chelsea Ladies FC), Jessica McDonald (NC Courage), Alex Morgan (Olympique Lyonnais), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Mallory Pugh (UCLA), Lynn Williams (NC Courage)

Germany roster:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): 12-Laura Benkarth (SC Freiburg), 1-Almuth Schult (VfL Wolfsburg), 21-Lisa Weiß (SGS Essen)
    DEFENDERS (9): 2-Josephine Henning (Olympique Lyonnais), 3-Kathrin Hendrich (1. FFC Frankfurt), 5-Babett Peter (VfL Wolfsburg), 7-Pauline Bremer (Olympique Lyonnais), 14-Anna Blässe (VfL Wolfsburg), 17-Isabel Kerschowski (VfL Wolfsburg), 23-Verena Faißt (Bayern München), 24-Kristin Demann (1899 Hoffenheim), 29-Felicitas Rauch (1. FFC Turbine Postdam)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): 4-Leonie Maier (Bayern München), 9-Alexandra Popp (VfL Wolfsburg), 10-Dzsenifer Marozsan (Olympique Lyonnais), 13-Sara Däbritz (Bayern München), 27-Sara Doorsoun (SGS Essen), 31-Linda Dallman (SGS Essen)
    FORWARDS (5): 11-Anja Mittag (VfL Wolfsburg), 15-Mandy Islacker (1. FFC Frankfurt), 18-Lena Petermann (SC Freiburg), 20-Lina Magull (SC Freiburg), 26-Hasret Kayikci (SC Freiburg)

This will be the first time the USWNT have faced Germany since they won the Olympics, and also the first time since Steffi Jones became head coach.

USSF's match preview: http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/02/08/16/24/20170208-preview-wnt-v-germany-shebelieves-cup

BrooklynBaby and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
  3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  4. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 jackdoggy, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    THEY'RE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCK
    [​IMG]

They have once again assembled. They are once again together. Tomorrow we get to see Carli Lloyd..Alexandra The Great..Becky…Tobin..Malloryyyyyyy and THIS TEAM.

I’ve been in a constant state of Hyperventiation for the past week. I made arrangements with the good folks at Talen to tether me to the stadium floor.

This 107-day Planetary Nightmare is almost over - - 29 hours and 34 minutes to Kick my little soccer buddies.

The Journey with these women, with this Team will always….be….GLORIOUS

jnielsen, CoachJon and Airox repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Boy, I wish I was a tenth as excited as JD is about this.

soccersubjectively, holden and Airox repped this.
  6. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best comment ever.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From USSF's Facebook page: "We are aware of the forecast and are monitoring the weather closely. As of now, the match is set to go on as scheduled. If things change, we will provide updated information asap."

8. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    The weather held for England-France. Thunderstorm odds in Chester at 50-60% per my weather app. Of course, rain is ok we just need the lightning to stay away.

9. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #9 FawcettFan14, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Looks to be a 3-5-2 (or 3-4-3 if Lloyd doesn't feel like playing defense).

--------------Naeher----------------
    ------Brunn--Long--Short--------
    ----------Mewis---Brian-----------
    ---Dunn------Lloyd------Heath---
    -----------Press----Williams-------

Namdynamo repped this.
  10. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Germany lineup: Schult; Kerschowski, Peter, Henning, Blässe; Däbritz, Marozsan, Maier; Mittag, Popp, Petermann

Front six for Germany are strong, but I think we can cut up the defense with pace and ball movement. The two center backs are slow as molasses, not sure why Steffi Jones is sticking with them.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Highlights from last Shiba Leaves. Great goal by Alex Morgan. Schult really flubbed Mewis' goal, she will be hoping for a better performance today.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I hope nobody is color blind.

13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Even the color blind can see all these neon cleats. o_O

14. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SHE BELIEVES THAT WE WILL WIN.

....and wow those red kits are boring

15. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Germany wearing green and why does watching this hurt my eyes:(

16. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Germany has used mossy green as an away color periodically. 1999 WWC comes to mind.

17. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any significance for the color mossy green?

18. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    It seems to be their thing to have a green away jersey for the Euros. For example the men wore this for the 2012 Euros:
    [​IMG]

19. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any rules or regulations regarding jersey color, or can a country pick?

20. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    They can wear whatever color they choose as long as it doesn't match with the opposing team.

21. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Indeed, our own WNT has worn black a few times (2011, 2016), and in 2008 even had a gold jersey. No joke.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's half time.

0-0

23. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    From a 2014 ESPN article.

"The reason the German second kit used to be green and white is that these are the official colours of the German FA (DFB) since around 1925. Opinion is divided over why exactly the DFB changed its look at that point and replaced the colours of the Reich with the much less symbolically charged green and white. The matter is made the more confusing by the fact that the logo -- in which the letters D, F and B were black, white and red -- remained unchanged until April 1940, when the DFB (like all other sports governing associations) was dissolved because athletic activities were controlled and organised by the party and the state.

And so it wasn't until after the war that green really became the DFB's signature colour. When the association was re-formed on July 1, 1949, in Stuttgart, the decision was made to use a new logo, designed by the artist and football coach Ernst Fuhry. For obvious reasons, the colours of the Reich were now a total no-no and discarded in favour of what also happen to be the colours that define a football pitch: green and white. (For many decades, the postwar logo consisted only of the characteristic green letters. It wasn't until the new millennium that the letters became white and the colours of the Federal Republic -- black, red and gold -- were discreetly added to the logo.)"

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/world-cup-central/59/post/1845021/a-colourful-history-for-germany

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I know the men wore anthracite, but are you sure nike didn't call at least one of those black uniforms anthracite too?

25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    After the first half I would give fair to good marks only to the defenders for the US -- Sauerbrunn, Long, and Short....The three back system is holding up. The rest of the team...well,...not bad, not good.

Germany seems a little better on the ball than the US.

Not the most exciting game I've ever seen. England vs France, now, that was a good game. Much more entertaining than this one. I hope for better in the second half.