USWNT v Costa Rica, July 22, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jul 19, 2016.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Finally final.
    US combs Costa Rica 4-0

On to some tournament in Brazil.

From a goalkeeping standpoint, who gets the W?

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #77 lil_one, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Some notes from the "frontlines" of a very hot day in Kansas City (@Myrtle , wish I had known you were there!):

-It was HOT and fairly humid. According to my phone, it was still over 90 degrees at the end of the match (after 10 pm). I don't blame the players a bit for slowing the game down in the second half. But I couldn't help but think that the weather was great prep for that game in Manaus.

-I was super impressed with Sporting KC's stadium as it was my first time there. Its easily one of the nicest stadiums I've ever been to. Great food and drink options, good facilities, and from what I could see, nearly every seat having a good view. However, I was disappointed that I didn't see any FCKC booth or info anywhere (inside or outside the stadium). Unless I missed it.

-Warmups: Because I love getting to go to a game live to see the warmups and cooldowns (I'm weird like that), some comments on the warmup routine: They started with some basic jogging, skipping, movement warmup. It looked to me that each line of players was being led by a veteran through the drills, the 4 veterans being Lloyd, Sauerbrunn, Morgan, and Kling. Then they did some short-short-long passing before they split up into starters and subs. Starters did a 4v4 game with 2 free players, and subs continued some passing patterns. Then they split up into defenders and offense for a short bit. Defenders did some passing patterns while offense did some shooting. Then they ended with the starters doing a half-field drill with some switching of field and working the ball down the field for a cross or shot.

-Pugh...she's somehow even more impressive in person. Fast, confident in taking players on. I did notice a short conversation that Pugh had with Dawn Scott on the sideline about 5 minutes before she came off. I wondered if she was just exhausted and asked to come off.

-I was on the defenders end in the 1st half, so I really got to observe their communication. IMO, Sauerbrunn doesn't get enough praise, but when you watch the way she (along with Solo) marshals that back line throughout the game, you have to think she's the most undervalued player on the team. She is such a key piece for them at Rio.

-After Dunn came off, she was seen by a trainer, but it looked minor. She was moving well during the cooldown. I think it was just an abundance of caution to just take her off the field rather than let her play the last couple of minutes.

-As someone already noted, Pinoe did not dress for the match, but was out on the field in street clothes (along with the other alternates) after the match hanging with the team.

-I would have to rewatch the game to make any meaningful comments about players, but as for the game, I had a great experience at Kansas City! I don't know about the team, but I am ready for Rio!

exref, kolabear, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Pretty sure it's the keeper on the pitch when the team gets the winning lead.

It's a talking point stat like game winning goal.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's what I assumed. Regardless, it was good to see Naeher come in in relief.

5. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sorry I missed you! You aren't a fellow Kansas Citian are you? Sporting Park is an amazing place to watch soccer so glad you enjoyed it. I was disappointed in the appearance of the grass but they just hosted a huge concert and this summer has just been brutal. It's usually nicer. Even with the awful weather I had a great time, grateful to live in a city that hosts these types of events. I am extremely disappointed with the non existent FCKC advertising. The organization has taken a major step back in that regard.

A few comments although you already covered most of it. Glad Dunn appeared to be alright.

- This game was 100 times better than WWC qualifiers in KC fall of 2014. The WWC qualifier was no better than a mediocre high school I coach. This team looked much more poised to win a championship. I guess it worked out ok anyway.

- Went to the game with some old college teammates who don't follow the team very close. Most impressive players in their eyes were Pugh and Dunn. Definitely peaked their interest.

- Solo will always have the best game face. I've never seen it up close except for on TV, but at the Park tonight she looked awesome. Not a huge fan of hers but got to hand it to her for her game face.
    - Morgan always impresses me in person, even if not her best game. Pugh was close behind though. Wow, that's girl is amazing!

- This game made me excited for the Olympics which was the opposite of what qualifiers did. Can't wait to see them play in Brazil!

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. First time to your lovely city as well. :) I actually drove in from west TN where I've been visiting my parents. I convinced my mom to go with me for her first WNT cap. :thumbsup:

exref and Myrtle repped this.
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, if Ellis is thinking both about the Olympics and the next World Cup, this could make some sense. HAO, pretty clearly, is not going to be on the WC team. (This is not intended to say anything about my assessment of the two players. They're very different, and I've seen HAO far more than Mewis. I've always liked the way HAO plays, even if it's pretty monochromatic.)

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If I had to rationalize it I would say Brian was already gimpy and Lloyd was coming off an injury so Mewis would back them up in case of problem....but then again u could have picked Mewis in the OG 18 instead of Pinoe for the exact same reasons :whistling:

9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in Big D.
    What a game, what a game.
    I know, I know......Oh...Geez...Shocker - JD had a great time at the USWNT Match........Well, yeah.

The Heat, oh dear Lord in Heaven above, the Heat and the Humidity. I challenge all of you to look up "sweltering" in Webster's, if they did an update over the weekend I bet there will be a picture reference to CMPark on July 22, 2016. What were there, 2, 3 water breaks? The players would have welcomed 1 or 2 more. Funny though, I have never, ever, not once been affected by dehydration during a soccer match. Any guesses why??? HeHeHeHeHeHe. If USSoccer was trying to replicate the Subtropical Climate of the Brazilian Jungle in advance of the Olympics - - - Connnnnnngratulations, you succeeded. However, no mere Meteorological or Atmospheric condition can detract from the Sports Nirvana created by the Greatest Team in the Universe and any Parallel Universe (see what I did there Semb:D).

So, so appropriate that Meghan K. got the 1st assist on a cross, our left back, who spends more time within 15 yards of the opposition end line than she does within 15 yards of her own end line. Love Love Love Her.

Huge, humongously huge shout outs, props, hi-5's, attaboys and thank yous to the Outlaws. C o n t i n u a l....... T h u n d e r o u s.........N e v e r e n d i n g cheers, chants and songs many that were picked up by most in attendance throughout the Match. The KCAO Guys and Gals brought it and then, similar to the T&T match there in October 2014, they brought it some more.

Post match ahhhhhh post match, Pinoe, Heather, Ashlyn and Emily joined the squad on the field...didn't see them before. After their usual victory lap the squad signed - did they ever, not the standard 4-6 players - it seemed like 12 -15 Ladies signed and greeted for a long time. Alexandra The Great signed, Tobin signed. So many players I couldn't keep track. With so many signing, it was absolute total chaos down where I was by the rail. I mean, imagine 100's of screaming 9 year old girls and one screaming slightly overweight Czech. There were times when 4 players were within 20 ft me signing - - can't remember that ever happening before. Not a big autograph guy but I certainly don't turn them down if a player is walking by.

[​IMG]

Morgan, Allie, Mallory, Whitney and Emily
    The Kid scored.

Good Luck in Brazil Ladies​
    [​IMG]

Come back Safe and Healthy