USWNT lawsuit against USSF for getting paid less than USMNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Jazzy Altidore, Mar 9, 2019.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I've always been as big of a fan of the WNT as the MNT. The last lawsuit put me off, and I stopped watching for a while. But, after the new deal was negotiated (they should stay on the same quality hotels and play on the same quality fields) I came back. But, this trashing of the men. And, dishonest negotiate/sue cycle is b.s. I will not be following the WNT or cheering for them at WC19. I hope they flame out before the knock out rounds. I really enjoy women's soccer, so I'll watch WC19, but I'll cheer for France, Japan, and whichever other team strikes my fancy. Will continue to cheer against Germany & Brazil.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same way. This lawsuit is destined for failure. They literally just agreed to the terms of a collective bargaining agreement, and now they say the terms that they agreed to are somehow discriminatory. If they wanted equal pay, that should have been the bargaining demand. Keeping the lawsuit in the back pocket is a bad faith negotiating tactic to take, in particular with your exclusive partner who you will be dealing with for the infinite future. There's also no organization in the world that has done more for women's soccer than USSF. Just creates bad vibes all around.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #53 Jazzy Altidore, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    I'm a lawyer with some experience in these types of cases. The problem is that the women are not "similarly situated" as the men. They work in a completely different field of employment: women's soccer. It is a different market altogether--the men are not even permitted to compete for those jobs. This can further be proven up in dozens of different economic ways.

4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is certainly more "efficient" and a better bargaining position, but who is that helping more? The MNT, or the WNT? I'm inclined to think the WNT are benefiting more from the current arrangement.

I'm reminded of the absurd complaints from the WNBA. The league is propped up by the NBA (much like how the NWSL, and a half dozen failed leagues over the last decade, have been funded by the USSF), and yet the players complain that they don't receive enough compensation for "the same work".

The MNT vs WNT is less-silly, because the revenue generation may well be closer in some years. But if most of the money is tied into TV/Ads for BOTH, we come back to the issue here that we don't really know what's worth what.

I think 99 percent of people, if they're honest, know that the answer isn't in the WNT's favor...

5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't wait until some average college soccer dude gets his balls cut off and demands playing time with the women's team. That will be an entertaining shitshow.

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may not be able to give any details, but I'm interested in how to reconcile these kinds of issues, at least in my own head.

For one thing, these are collectively-bargained issues, which would mean it's understandable to want as much money as possible, which is an allowable, even encouraged, thing in capitalism.

Lying to get what you want is not encouraged, but we have "lies damned lies, and statistics", so is anyone at fault for trying to use stats to improve their position? Perhaps there are lies of omission in the suit, on both sides, which would be bad.

How do you distinguish between individuals negotiating worse salaries and companies paying less as a matter of course? And how, outside of a bottom-line metric like sales, can you compare the value of employees vs. each other without really subjective metrics?

7. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Should the Paralympic, Beach, Futsal, and YNTs all be paid the same as the MNT and WNT then?

Baysider repped this.
  8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That person wouldn't have to be men's college level.

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Dude, I want to work for you.

10. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disagree with feminism = incel. Gotcha

11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    You're right. You're not a lawyer. More like an idiot. What would be "illegal" about having two separate federations?

What's horrible about it? You've got nothing, other than name calling.

And, Incel? what does that mean? If somehow in your twisted 10 year old mind, it means that you think that I oppose women's rights, you're quite stupid. Based on their comments, the women should be beating down the USSF's doors to create a separate Fed.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The timing of the lawsuit is in incredibly bad taste. And to me it hurts the players as well...outside of their bubble, the facts don’t look good.
    Why isn’t that field “international soccer?” Isnt that what many lawsuits are about, who gets to decide the relevant comparables? I’m just wondering why you’re so unambiguous about this point.
    And now we’re back to incel territory.

Just so everyone knows, those of us who don’t live in deadly fear of Chads see a post like this and are going to have a hard time taking your posts seriously, because it’s advancing a stupid, insincere argument.

But you do you.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? Really?

Www.fifa.com

14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Find a way to work in "neckbeard", "m'lady", "edge", and "supreme gentleman", and you'll be well on your way!

You'll still be wrong, but you'll win internet points on tumblr! Yay!

RalleeMonkey and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to the Deep Thought of a soccer Renee Richards.

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling this guy has no control over anyone's employment or wages.

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who?

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The field isn't "international soccer" because there are specific employment restrictions on where the men and women compete, making the working conditions completely different. Without these restrictions, separating men and women into different teams, the women's game wouldn't even exist. Sure, you can make the "international soccer" argument but it quickly falls apart once this simple dissimilarity is recognized.

Deadly fear of chads? What does that even mean? You can't just call an argument stupid or insincere without any analysis. It is a fact that transwomen are increasingly attempt to compete against natural women in sports. And it is a complete joke.

superdave repped this.
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    They skewed the 2000 presidential election in Florida. Remember?

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah I think he meant the following:

A phrase used by sad lonely incels to describe normal people who can talk to women instead of hiding in their basement and blaming women for how pathetic they are while ranting online.

What's funny is that a chad true would be the last person to simply bend over and give women everything they want in the current zero sum gender battles the women are raising.

22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, never heard of her.

The "Deep Thought" really revolves around competitiveness. It's illegal for women and men to take steroids, such as testosterone, and compete in sports professionally. If a man takes estrogen or undergoes reassignment surgery, they've still been living and training with comparatively elevated testosterone, let alone denser bone structure and a different musculature system.

There's a reason people were upset at Fallon Fox not disclosing that she was a male fighter that simply began competing as a female...

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, recognizing these physical differences between a male-born human and a female-born human makes you an incel. Haven't you read @superdave 's posts?

mbar repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn’t talking about the technical, scientific question of the fairness of transgender athletes. I was getting at someone bringing up some college boy changing his gender to play for the USWNT. I didn’t think that was helpful at furthering the discussion.

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    You would be wrong.