USWNT lawsuit against USSF for getting paid less than USMNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Jazzy Altidore, Mar 9, 2019.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be a dick, but are either of you guys lawyers? Experts in gender discrimination law? If not, how the hell can you assert this?

Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should be paid the same for every friendly and competitive match. The revenue the men's games gets should have nothing to do with it.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a moral argument or a legal argument? If it’s a legal argument, could you flesh it out? If it’s a moral argument, how do you respond to the counterargument that the men shouldn’t have to subsidize the women.

Here’s a question that comes to mind...how does the Fed’s spending on every other aspect of women’s soccer vs. men’s soccer, everything beyond the senior national team, compare? Was get that the USWNT is a union acting as a union, but to reiterate my earlier point about their selfishness, why aren’t they suing about everything else? I suspect the reason is that, guess what, all the youth programs are money losers too but the Fed treats boys and girls equally.

But that’s just a guess in my part.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Does that mean female professors or engineers, as groups, negotiating lower salaries than do their male counterparts is considered the fault of the universities or companies?

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nevermind, I've read an article on it.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re just repeating yourself.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    OK, so I read couple of articles on the EEOC and the Equal Pay Act. I'm an expert, now. :)

My conclusion is that the USWNT and the USMNT are not in the same industry. The USWNT is in the women's soccer industry. The USMNT is in the men's soccer industry. Therefore, the ladies have no case vis a vis the EPA. Dismissed :)

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    There's been a thread going on it for about 3 years now in USA Men:

US women soccer players want equal pay to US men's team.

dlokteff, IndividualEleven and comoesa repped this.
  9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Athletes are ultimately entertainers. Those that entertain the most get the most money. That's the way it is. The money doesn't come from heaven, it comes from paying customers.

mbar repped this.
  10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don’t youth teams get paid the same for that matter? Is it age discrimination?

12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    a simple way to deal with it would be to structure the pay scale so that both the men and women recieve an equal percentage of the revenue generated by the games they play in. If the women generate similar revenues, they will earn similar wages. It could be done as an average (yearly, moving average etc) so that the pay per game is relatively constant over the year.

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Are there posters here who believe that even if the two teams bring in the same amount of revenue, it’s fine for the men’s team to be paid more?

14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Which would make perfect sense and should be something the WNT union could negotiate for.

The ancillary stuff like per deim, practice facilities, hotels, etc-there’s zero reason those shouldn’t be identical to the MNT.

xbhaskarx, Mahtzo1 and DHC1 repped this.
  15. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Genuine question: do you feel that way because you feel that it’s irrelevant who brings in the revenue because they all belong to USSF at the end of the day, or do you feel that way because it’s the right thing to do, in your mind?

TOAzer and DHC1 repped this.
  16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Respectfully, I couldn’t disagree more. If the men’s games provide higher revenues then the men should get higher amount (but same percentage).

Or don’t pay any national team member at all (other than a modest per firm for expenses).

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    If memory serves, hotels for FIFA sanctioned tournaments are decided by FIFA. Certain national teams were staying in upper end hotels while others were stating in fleabags so FIFA stepped in. This had led to some uncomfortable situations as opposing teams are sometimes in the same hotel.

18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I feel the women should be paid the same as it's irrelevant who brings in the money. However, I don't believe for a second the women want to be treated as equals. SheBelieves, Tournament of Nations and Victory Tours should all be stopped immediately. No more guaranteed roster spots, benefits or pensions. All women should receive the same compensation for starting a family that Bradley received. Lloyd went AWOL from her club for a month after crashing out of the Olympics. I can't imagine Pulisic getting away with that. Yes, the women should receive equal treatment and pay if that's what they truly want.

19. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Is it truly the case that you didn't bother to look on the USWNT page and see that a thread had been up for 15 hours when you posted this?

And, you call yourself a WNT fan .....

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did I call myself a WNT fan?

21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    No.

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    My bad. Being one, I assume most are.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a mild supporter until they started filing these lawsuits. They threaten revenue that I believe should rightly be invested in the men's team. This turned me off.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  24. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    The answer is easy. Just split the federation. A women's fed and a men's fed. When the tv contract comes up again, SUM can negotiate their deal with each entity independently.

And, that's really what makes this complex, is the media/marketing deal for the two teams is one deal. Hard to tease out where the revenue should be attributed.

Just make 2 Feds, then the women can pull their chickensh*t negotiate a deal, sue, negotiate a deal, sue cycle on the women's fed.

If there is some FIFA problem with having separate feds, then have both under one umbrella. They could even loan each other $$ from year to year. But, it would be a loan. And, each Fed would be legally responsible for itself.

gunnerfan7 and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that USSF is far more efficient organizationally and in a better bargaining position for TV rights, advertisers, etc. when there is a single federation. But I see your point. This would resolve the issue.