USWNT lawsuit against USSF for getting paid less than USMNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Jazzy Altidore, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    we are hearing voices that the rest of us can't hear

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO TRUE SCOTSMAN

3. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so the men can sue for equal pay then?

4. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    just saying that if everything is pegged to attendance and/or tv viewership, the usmnt is showing poorly.

5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copa America Centario made much more money than anything the women get involved in.

Marko72 and superdave repped this.
  6. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    and how about since then?

7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since then the tens of millions of dollars earned by the men's tournament are sitting in USSF's bank account. They have so much money they don't know what to do with it. Not from the women, never from the women. Deal with the facts Jack.

And then we have upcoming Gold Cup and more men's tournaments. Remind me, how much money does the women's Gold Cup make?

8. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    well that's a bit disingenuous, no? you missed a women's world cup. but keep pushing back.

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    How much did it make the Fed? Keep in mind it was in the ideal non-US location.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a lot of cherry picking here where each side points to a big money maker. What is the total for either over a four year cycle? That would be the best comparison as events always repeat but only on a four year cycle. Not sure how forthcoming the Fed is with reporting events though so even that may be hard to be accurate on.

Marko72 repped this.
  11. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    A real hard-ball approach would be to offer them the same per game pay as the men, and then after they accept it (thinking they'll earn more yearly income) schedule the exact same number of games as the men.

12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sure this is not news but the question I have is: FIFA awards $440M prize money in total for the 22 WC. They are proposing a $60m purse for the 23 WWC. How would supporters of the USWNT explain this disparity and why have they not sued FIFA?

The US fed can’t miracle up money to balance the disparity in prize money, and Cindy Parlow Cone now wants the USMNT to just donate their prize money to the women to balance the scales? T

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just make sweeping claims about discrimination, arguing that differential in revenue generation doesn’t justify pay discrimination. Which is wrong in this context.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New news: today US SOCCER asked the men and women’s to accept the same bargaining agreement.

15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question still stands though: there is a massive disparity in prize money for the two tournaments without a significant difference in the specific work performed. Yet no one in their right mind would suggest awarding a prize purse of $440M for the WWC. Is that not exactly the kind of discrimination they are claiming? Same job, same pay.

16. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    same work performed...but for some reason the men's game attracts a much bigger audience...that's the reality of the marketplace for the two games

17. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    but different sources of pay. fifa is not governed by our laws/constitution etc so pay/prize money etc from a foreign entity in a global tournament would be irrelevant to US laws and policies. The payments to US players (from USSF) playing in those tournaments is what is relevant.

I'm not a Lawyer, but that is my take.

Guinho repped this.
  18. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    perhaps FIFA should give up oversight of the women's game...let a different organization take over, negotiate rights etc

that way there won't be any questions about the people who run the men's game discriminating against the women

Pegasus and ttrevett repped this.
  19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my point. It seems there is a very basic and obvious answer for the money discrepancy that for some reason can’t be said in US court rooms.

20. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am curious whether any of you are members of a bar anywhere

I am a member of the California State Bar

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It actually is not the same work. The teams play in different competitions, with the men not even eligible to play in the women's competition. That's an MSJ issue if I ever saw one.

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a member of a California state bar as well as a bar patron elsewhere.

Guinho repped this.
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it isn't the same job. And there are many industries where the same outcome takes place. For example, if I'm hiring for a women's lingerie model, I can pay a different (and higher) rate than I would pay for a men's underwear model. And that's because the jobs are different; gender differentiation is inherent in the role. The same applies for men versus women sports.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #274 gunnerfan7, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    What frustrates me is the insistence that people deny the physical, financial, and popularity realities surrounding the sport.

I understand that USSF's employment of both teams is what opens the door to these kinds of arguments, but if you keep telling people that the sky isn't blue, they're going to eventually tell you to kick rocks. It's not at all clear that the WNT and MNT perform the same jobs. The fact that only one team would be able to succeed playing in the other's competitions would seem to suggest a pretty one-way reverse-compatibility that complicates the idea of "equal work". It's clear that there are differences in money and fan eyeballs. Is such a difference today the result of the accrual of popularity in the Men's game over decades? Yes, the Matthew Principle strikes again. If such a thing matters to you, and you're of the opinion that such a reality requires a redistribution to close the gap, then be flat-out about that instead of pretending that water isn't wet.

If the MNT union doesn't kowtow to whatever the USSF tries to negotiate collectively with the WNT and MNT unions, I can't see a way forward with the USSF's governance of the WNT. They could choose to simply not deal with the MNT, but I don't think that's the way this would work out.

25. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    The women's game doesn't need FIFA or the USSF. It should have it's own organizational structure, free to pursue its best interests without hindrance from FIFA and USSF.

Alternatively, the men's game can set up its own separate and independent governing structure.