USWNT in the ToN 2018

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jul 13, 2018.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Australia announces their roster:

I LOVE the way they made the announcement.

Roster:
    Mackenzie ARNOLD (GK), Tameka BUTT, Ellie CARPENTER, Steph CATLEY,
    Alex CHIDIAC, Larissa CRUMMER, Lisa DE VANNA, Caitlin FOORD, Emily GIELNIK, Katrina GORRY, Elise KELLOND-KNIGHT, Alanna KENNEDY, Samantha KERR, Chloe LOGARZO, Clare POLKINGHORNE, Hayley RASO,
    Amy SAYER, Kyah SIMON, Emily VAN EGMOND, Lydia WILLIAMS (GK)

jackdoggy repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    com·plete and to·tal awe·some·ness
    adjective
    obtaining or possessing extreme magnificence; usually reserved for supreme deity

noun (see below)
    uswnt.jpg

We are 1 week away which of course means that pacing and chain-smoking has commenced.
    163 agonizingly long hours and 5 minutes to kick in Kansas City

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    A-rod over Williams or Sydney is a joooooooke. She's never been good enough, let alone now.

I hope Dunn gets pushed into the attack. Imo, she and Pinoe are our best options in that attacking wing position.

Namdynamo and jjmack repped this.
  4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I half-expected Amy Sayer to introduce herself :laugh:

Lechus7, jackdoggy and lil_one repped this.
  5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan roster:

Goalkeepers: Sakiko Ikeda (Urawa Diamonds Ladies), Ayaka Yamashita (Nippon TV Beleza), Chika Hirao (Albirex Niigata Ladies)
    Defenders: Aya Sameshima (INAC Kobe Leonessa), Saori Ariyoshi (Nippon TV Beleza), Rumi Utsugi (Seattle Reign FC), Shiori Miyake (Nippon TV Beleza), Aimi Kunitake (Nojima Stella Kanagawa Sagamihara), Nana Ichise (Mynavi Vegalta Sendai Ladies)
    Midfielders: Emi Nakajima (INAC Kobe Leonessa), Moeno Sakaguchi (Albirex Niigata Ladies), Hikaru Naomoto (SC Freiburg), Rika Masuya (INAC Kobe Leonessa), Rin Sumida (Nippon TV Beleza), Yuka Momiki (Nippon TV Beleza), Yui Hasegawa (Nippon TV Beleza), Narumi Miura (Nippon TV Beleza)
    Forwards: Nahomi Kawasumi (Seattle Reign FC), Yuika Sugasawa (Urawa Red Diamonds Ladies), Mana Iwabuchi (INAC Kobe Leonessa), Kumi Yokoyama (AC Nagano Parceiro Ladies), Mina Tanaka (Nippon TV Beleza).

Brazil training camp roster (full team to be announced later):

Aline (UDG Tenerife) Bárbara (Kindermann), Letícia Izidoro (Corinthians), Tainá (Corinthians), Jucinara (Valencia CFF), Joyce (UDG Tenerife), Rayanne (Flamengo), Tamires (Fortuna Hjorring), Rilany (Grindavík), Ana Carolina (Flamengo), Tayla (Santos), Daiane (Avaldsnes), Kathellen (FC Girondins), Djenifer (Iranduba), Juliana (Flamengo), Nenê (Corinthians), Adriana (Corinthians), Raquel (Ferroviária), Millene (Corinthians)

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #31 luvdagame, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    hinkle.

she's, imo, the best lb in the league, so she has to be picked.

however, picking her goes against everything the league stands for re its lgbtq fans AND against every basic rule about togetherness especially on women's teams.

impossible position for the coaching staff.

is the solution to release her as one of the 2 who don't make the final roster?

otherwise this may blow right up into the mainstream media & take all the fun out of this tournament.

7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't care for overt shows of religiosity but if Hinkle is not preaching in the locker room -- and she doesn't seem the type who would -- I'm fine with her.

CoachJon, BlueCrimson, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    So, if the best American player at a position was a Muslim, would you not pick her?

I mean, many Christians advocate gay rights, but still ...

9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I try my best to steer clear of these issues (which may make me a social wimp) but some of these topics swerve the atmosphere into politics. All my life as a participant or viewer I’ve used Sports as an escape from all the sh*t of RL.

Recently, over on Twitter someone asked when the last time a player was booed at a Match …….that is easy – Pinoe, September 18, 2016 Georgia Dome vs. Netherlands (after the kneeling episode).

Enough of the serious stuff, I need to get back to my unconditional adoration.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #35 MRAD12, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    As far as I have read or not have read, the only thing Jaelene Hinkle did was say that she wouldn't wear the the jersey with the pride symbols. I have never heard of her discriminating against a gay person, or say anything derogatory against gay people or said she hates gay people or against LGBT rights, etc..
    She simple did not want to wear the uniform that had the pride symbol on it. That's all.
    It was her religious conviction and in my opinion she has every right to it.
    It does not mean she is a bigot, in my opinion.
    Everything I've read was that Jaelene Hinkle is a very nice person.

What if in her mind, for instance ,wearing the pride symbol may mean jeopardy in going to Heaven one day? Who am I to say she is wrong?

My belief may not be the same as hers, but I do believe we need to be tolerant of peoples sexual orientation as well as peoples religious convictions.

Maybe wearing the pride jersey should be a player choice from now? If you want to wear it, wear it, if not you don't have to , you can wear a kit without the symbol.

As long as she's not harassing anyone or personally discriminating, Jaelene Hinkle should absolutely be called up to the USWNT because she is one of the best backs this country has.
    Her making a tackle, heading the ball out of the box or passing to Megan Rapinoe will not be affected by whether she is wearing the pride symbol on her jersey or not.

jnielsen, Tokonta, CoachJon and 7 others repped this.
  11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    NO Nagasato? Wow.

Semblance17 repped this.
  12. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know not of this Joy Fawcett you speak of; however, I do worship the ground that “The Great” Joy Fawcett walks on.

13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Discovery: For those with access to NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), there are some live matches televised from the 2018 Women's Sevens Rugby World Cup starting in 15 minutes from now.

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It was never officially announced (and that sucks) but she somehow retired from NT about two years ago, when she was playing with 1.FFC Frankfurt and she refused a call explaining to the coach that she wanted to concentrate on her club career.

As I said, at the time she didn't actually claimed that she was leaving NT for good, but I've got the feeling that the situation remained the same, or, like you, I would wonder why she's not in the team right now. Many of us on the Nadeshiko Japan thread are persuaded that she's not in NT anymore by choice, though no-one of us is actually sure about that. :cautious:

jnielsen repped this.
  15. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #40 McSkillz, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    One of those US players doesn't belong on the team....the one that believes gay people go to the hot place. IF she doesn't support equality and civil rights then she doesn't belong on this amazing team that represents the US. USA should represent all communities, colors, ethnicities and orientations. If she doesn't like it, she shouldn't be representing the US. This is an outrage and many of my friends are angry about this too. What's next? Selecting a white supremacist on our team? Is this where our country is headed? Hiring people who are prejudice and full of hate? Hopefully she treats our LGBT players okay. I hope Rapinoe stands up and speaks out about this.

L'orange repped this.
  16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #41 MRAD12, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    From what I've read, she never said all that. She never said anything about other people. Apparently she has gotten along with all her teammates throughout her career and I'm sure she has played with gay players for a while now. Where do you get prejudice and full of hate? Why wouldn't she treat fellow players who are gay, OK?

In my opinion, Hinkle's decision is not about fellow players gay or straight. This is about HER only. This is about HER wearing the pride symbol, not other players wearing the pride symbol or other player's sexual orientation. She is not infringing on other people's right to wear it nor has said anything against it as far as I know.

This is about Jaelene Hinkle and her relationship with her God, that's all.

Again, maybe USSF should consider wearing the pride symbol optional? I don't know.

CoachJon, Crazyhorse, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Huh. I thought she wasn't getting called in because she went thru a spell of injuries. That's too bad.

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #43 luvdagame, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    muslims play on teams in non muslim countries all the time. I don't think that's much of a challenge.

with regard to hinkle, i'd certainly pick her. but a few posts above suggest that my "take all the fun out of this tournament" comment may be on the right track, & that before jumping in i may need to consult the religio-cultural sensibilities of the other players, & maybe my bosses & the fans as well.

i don't envy the coaching staff at all on this one.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So who will be at the game(s) in Chicago on 8/2?

I of course will be there and it is so cool that the Championship ceremony will be held at Toyota Park.

I certainly hope the Red Stars front office has a nice display at the game to advertise the Red Stars. A golden opportunity for them to bring attention to the team to women's soccer fans who will be coming from all around the area including states bordering Illinois and beyond.

CoachJon repped this.
  20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    But, if you picked a Muslim, I imagine you'd get more responses like this:

"One of those US players doesn't belong on the team....the one that believes gay people go to the hot place. IF she doesn't support equality and civil rights then she doesn't belong on this amazing team that represents the US. USA should represent all communities, colors, ethnicities and orientations. If she doesn't like it, she shouldn't be representing the US. This is an outrage and many of my friends are angry about this too. What's next? Selecting a white supremacist on our team? Is this where our country is headed? Hiring people who are prejudice and full of hate? Hopefully she treats our LGBT players okay. I hope Rapinoe stands up and speaks out about this."

21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    But, only atheists, right? All religions have a proscription against gayness. Even the Dalai Lama says that if you're Buddhist you shouldn't be gay.

22. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC 2 mbt.jpg
    .....................................⇧..............⇧....................⇧..................⇧
    .................................Bad *ss......Bad *ss..............Bad *ss............Bad *ss

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So on Monday Ellis cuts Hinkle and Ohai. Color me surprised.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    1021521927947599880 is not a valid tweet id

25. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Those “soccer reasons” couldn’t be her NWSL play. She must really stink at practices during camp...and there must be a greater depth of prospective heathy bodies at her position than we ever realized.

MRAD12 and jjmack repped this.