USWNT - Goalkeeper Prospects

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by 8MiLLeNiuM, Feb 27, 2016.

1. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recently ran across these videos and wanted to ask if anyone has heard of this goalkeeping prospect - Devon Kerr? She's currently enrolled at Ohio State as a Freshman, and didn't have much playing time in 2015.
    Youtube Channel MovementEntertainmnet is making some pretty big claims, which I've posted below along with their Youtube links.
    It's interesting to note that Kerr has not made the recent roster for the USWNT U-20.

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That is @WWC_Movement's channel. I'm sure you've seen his posts on this forum before...

steelers07 and 8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at young Goalkeeper prospects for the USWNT is a non-starter. Solo is 34, Harris is 30, Naeher is 27, and Franch is 25. To me, Franch is clearly next in line after Harris and Naeher. IF Solo does not go to Rio for Zika reasons, that could hasten her retirement, maybe.. Even so, there are at least 3 excellent successors in line ( any of whom could be the #1 for years) in front of any other "prospects."

4. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, OK, makes sense. Thanks for the info.

5. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not too impressed with Harris and haven't seen enough of Naeher in USWNT matches to draw a solid conclusion on her. However, I'm curious, (I don't have an opinion), if Franch is so good then why does she never make the team in tournaments? My gut tells me that Ellis bases her decision on NWSL stats, regarding who she brings in as backup goalkeeper(s).

6. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #6 holden, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Franch was called in to a goalkeeper pre-camp training at the end of 2013 and looked to be on the verge of being called in for some games prior to tearing her ACL at the start of 2014. After a years recovery, she decided not to go back to WNY in 2015 and played in Norway instead. While some of us thought it strange, it might've been the best thing to do while still getting back to 100%. She was called in for the January camp this year, and if she plays for Portland how she played for WNY, there's no doubt in my mind she'll leapfrog at least one of those backup keepers for the next cycle.

Dundalk24, taosjohn and CoachJon repped this.
  7. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the input, always appreciate the insight.
    Do you know why didn't she beat out the other 2 backups in the January camp?

8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I don't think either one will be displaced prior to the Olympics no matter how well any other GK plays. There are only going to be 2 GKs on the roster anyway (the 3rd GK is an alternate), so it's better for Franch to get playing time.

CoachJon repped this.
  9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other 2 backups are excellent, older, and already entrenched. Franch is excellent, younger and still on the outside. I watched Harris from the stands for the whole 2011 Flash season - she is great. Naeher in 2014 was absolutely the best in the league, behind a terrible defense.

I would recommend looking at the history of USWNT goalkeepers and backups. During the reigns of Scurry and Solo everything has been in lock step. To me, having Harris and Naeher get past Barnie was revolutionary.

Dundalk24 repped this.
  10. banks

banks New Member

Oct 17, 2016

Her style of play is really sloppy and so is her training, footwork, ballhandling, hands, etc. She is definitely not "#1 in the world" or relatively close to that. She hardly plays at OSU for a reason. There are a lot of better keepers out there and she'a far from being the next prospect for the senior national team.