USWNT formation in WC19

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by fire123, Jul 19, 2019.

1. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I have not gone back to rewatch all the games the US played so this is strictly from memory. I think we used some 4-3-3, 4-5-1, did we use 4-4-2? I thought the 5-4-1 we used at times to keep England and France from scoring was pretty good. What's your thought.

2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    We also used a 4-1-4-1 during the Netherlands match.

I thought it was very smart and effective way to defend once we had the lead and with our talented midfield, we were able to pass out of traffic to counter quickly and break down the defense.

3. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They started every game of the WC in a 4-3-3. In fact, they've started their last 45 games in a 4-3-3. The last game the USWNT didn't start in a 4-3-3 was against Australia in the 2017 Cup of Nations, which they lost 1-0. They were in that 4-4-2 for 5 straight games and the 7 games prior to that they played a variation of the 3-back.

In the 2019 WC...

After going up 3-0 against Thailand, they switched to a 3-3-4.

Against the 5 European teams, they switched to a 4-5-1, 5-4-1 or 4-1-4-1 to close out the games.

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It can also turn into 325 when attacking.

5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Formations are mostly meaningless. It is about instructions. I have seen a 3-4-3 that was really a very defensive formation. It was effectively a bunker.

I have also see a 6-3-1 that was VERY aggressive producing a varied and potent attack by sending different sets of defender forward at different times.

Some formations morph more easily. The 4-4-2 and the 3-4-3 are the two generally most commonly discussed and used with the 4-3-3 following closely. The reasons for those are that those formations are some of the easiest to change in nature by simply changing instructions to one or two or, sometimes, three players.

The importance of a formation is not what it can do but rather how it can answer what is happening on the field.