Usually Wambach is smarter than this

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by thegamesthatrate, Dec 17, 2015.

1. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Take a look at this article and weigh in.

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/12...uld-like-to-fire-jurgen-klinsmann-from-usmnt/

Maybe she wants to be the next men's team coach.

Now, she might actually be a good one. And, if one wanted to imagine a woman who could be the first men's national team coach, she'd probably be at the top of the list.

But, if this is something for which she strives, this is not the way to pursue it.

Funny, I've never been a big Lloyd fan but have been vocal that she should have been Sportsperson of the Year.

Now here I am dissing Wambach even though I have been a Wambach fan for the bulk of her career. I remember taking a friend to see the Nigeria game in the 2003 WWC in Philly and telling him that watching Wambach play would make the trip worthwhile (fortunately Heinrichs put her in the game in the second half so I could be vindicated). I remember encouraging another friend to watch the Norway quarterfinal game with me in 2003 and listening to him (a huge Man U fan) mutter "Van Nistelroy" under his breath as Wambach made a particularly scintillating play in that game. I remember her rightly excoriating Solo in 2007. She has been a great source of encouragement to Alex Morgan without showing any envy for Morgan getting far more endorsements (even though Wambach is the more accomplished player and has the better athletic build). And, she handled being benched in the WWC this year as gracefully as any star.

Given her legacy of superlative play coupled with her display of good judgment in the past, her statement here puzzles me. It was as if she were trying to be the Donald Trump of soccer.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, context. Go back and listen to the podcast (I posted it in the News and Media thread). They are talking about her being a commentator or spokesperson and speaking up without giving a sh!t what people think. Then the host says, "Let's test that" and asks her what she would do to change the MNT. Then she gives the answer quoted in the article. I don't think becoming the next MNT coach has remotely entered her mind. In all the interviews about her future, she seems much more likely to become an activist (possibly even into FIFA politics) or a commentator.

Second, the criticism shouldn't be that she said to fire Klinsmann since that is what MANY fans and even journalists have already expressed and been calling for (and I think that's what you're criticizing; actually its quite unclear what your criticism is). The critique should be pointed to her complaint on Klinsmann "bringing in all the foreigners." First, I'd say her definition and my definition of "foreigner" are quite different. Second, it doesn't take into account the differences in the WNT and MNT programs. And finally, let's not forget Leroux, or for that matter Sundhage and Sermanni.

3. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    My issue was with her complaint about "foreigners." That was an ad hominem attack that was uncalled for. If she thinks he has done a miserable job as coach she has every right to say he should be replaced. That's not ad hominem.

I should have been clearer. But I figured my point in the previous paragraph was self-evident and therefore did not require specific focus. It appears my issue with the "foreigners" reference as the grounds for the complaint about what she said was not self-evident. Apologies.

Auriaprottu, Timon19 and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  4. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    #4 Namdynamo, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/diskerud-responds-wambach-think-try-201618719.html

Mix Diskerud

Calci0 repped this.
  5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares what mix has to say about Abby, he probably makes 20 million dollars more than her anyway so be lucky.

I don't have any problem with what Abby said. If we are going to grow as a country, we need a very good development program here in the states.

We shouldn't have to excavate spawn of American military personnel that knock up some foreign ladies during one of their weekend benders. Especially if these spawn spend the majority of their life in Germany, France or Norway. They have no American culture, they are in a sense European and only an American citizen in legal terms.

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

First, good youth development domestically and using dual nationals are not mutually exclusive ideas. We can do both.

Second, Mixx has every right to address Abby's comments as Abby's statement was about him as a dual national. Mixx is also a US MNT fan favorite, so many care what he has to say.

On dual nationals, if you are not personally aware of the backgrounds, please don't assume. Jermaine Jones lived in Chicago and Mississippi before his parents divorced and went to live in Germany with his mom. Mixx spent his childhood summers in the US. Moreover, where you are born does not determine how hard you will play for the crest. If they have a US passport and want to play for the US MNT, then I want them to play with everything they have. After that, I don't care where they were born or raised.

More to the point, if they meet the qualifications to carry a US passport and to play for the US MNT, then they are American. Period.

Now to connect this to the WNT, how do you feel about Sydney Leroux on the WNT? She, after all, was born and raised in Canada and played for the Canadian u-19 team. How do you feel about the large number of Yank women who play on foreign teams? Should they have instead not pursued playing at the highest level at all if they couldn't make the US team?

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Maybe she knew Mourinho would be available.

8. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Just had to quote this since so much truth needs to be repeated!!!!!

9. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I try to keep things soccer related, but this is hard to pass. Your comment seems mighty disrespectful not only to the dual-national players, but their parents too. All of who I presume you have no actual personal knowledge of. "Spawn" why you chose this word, ?!? if it was for effect, then you succeeded. I know hundreds of military families, and the negative light you've tried to cast here just isn't on the level.

Why do we care what any athlete has to say for that matter, if Mix, isn't also allowed to share his opinion. Not sure what his salary has to do with anything.

And as stated above, it doesn't have to be one or the other. You can have a good development program, AND bring in dual nationals. Germany does it, Spain, does it, the Netherlands, France, Italy etc....... I'd say they have very good development programs.

To make a blanket statement of all dual nationals is pretty bold. Heck J. Jones (he of no American Culture) felt out of place in Germany at times due to a lot of his American Culture.

sXeWesley repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Switzerland really does it: adoptions, refugees, dual nationals...all of it.

11. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How about Mexico? 10 of the 23 members of its WC squad were Mexican-Americans. One half of its U20 squad are Mexican Americans.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I assume you're talking about the women's side.

13. Mojo Jambo

Mojo Jambo Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what she would say to all the dual citizen american women playing internationally for other countries chasing the dream of playing internationally since the WNT is such a exclusive club to join. We are the female equivalent of Brazil for the men in that regard.

BostonRed and sXeWesley repped this.
  14. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Do men play soccer too?

exref and lunatica repped this.
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    o_O

16. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Your statements make Wambach's look enlightened and welcoming to foreigners by comparison.

Second, to assume that players on the men's team who have one American military parent and one foreign parent are uniformly the offspring of lust encounters is to do a disservice to many American military personnel who happen to have fallen in love with, and built solid families with, foreign spouses.

Spawn is what fish do. Comparing the romantic encounters that led to the conception of many of our excellent men's team's players to the conduct of biological fish cannot be anything but offensive.

17. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://deadspin.com/abby-wambach-st...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Still spewing the take.

sitruc repped this.
  18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
  19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief. Fortunately, she's not qualified to run for President. Oh ... maybe she is.

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well played, Mix.

sitruc repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hey, he's a better player than she is.

It's actually Abby who's been lucky- she's making a lot more than the U-16 elite guys whose teams boatrace the senior USWNT in preparatory friendlies.

Yeah, it's been almost a year. I didn't see this until now.

Spawn. Knock up. American culture. Weekend benders... wow, I sure hope this isn't the typical USWNT attitude toward Americans with dual nationality.

Easily the ugliest post I've ever seen on BigSoccer. Such an exercise of privilege, Miz Scarlett, to attack our military from beneath your crocheted blanket, between sips of chamomille tea, in a world you'll navigate quite easily with some charm and a pretty face, if ever you manage to acquire either.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Black soldiers, most likely, were the target of your sad rant. Sucks to be you, Melania

23. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Didn't a fan hold up a sign on TV after Wambach's OT goal in the 2011 WWC final saying "Abby for President"?

24. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States