USSoccer Suspends Hope Solo for 6 months

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, Aug 24, 2016.

1. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Context and circumstance matter. Intent also matters, even under law.
    The two situations are very different.

i'm confused why you think they have the same "effect" though. That's making a lot of biased assumptions.

2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    did you read what i wrote? the USSF released a statement, that is not a contract...which is what you wrote. that is false. it's not in their contract to stand during the anthem.

3. ziggy1010

ziggy1010 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    What do you think the value would be? The CBA goes until 12/31/16, unless extended. On the face of it, it doesn't appear the $ would be that significant. Certainly a lot less than the legal costs for both sides to fight it in court. Though I wonder about the current CBA clauses about getting pregnant while under contract, the fact that they get 50% of salary while on leave, have 3 months to get full pay once they come back, etc. If Solo wins in court, it could be a few extra $ for that. Either way though, I don't see USSF ever allocating or calling her up again. And most definitely not if she takes aggressive court action, attacks the USSF, etc.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The common effect was team rules were broken. Superman sank ur ship saving the planet from aliens or Superman sank ur ship trying to impress Lois. End of the day ur business is out one ship regardless. Way too much thought is being put into what Rapinoe is trying to do way to little into what she is actually doing. There r many ways she can help with her very worthy cause that arent detrimental to her employer.

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The value of Solo's contract seems to be an issue. It's been suggested that the terms extend beyond the end of the calendar year and this might be why they were forced to both suspend her and terminate her contract. As to the end of the CBA itself it is general the position of management to extend term past the end date if labor agrees.

6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Sorry Kernel, this is the most naive and ill informed things you've posted.

1. Your common effect argument makes little sense. Cause and Intent are imperative to any argument or legal case. example: 3 people die. (common effect) - first person was murdered in a planned, premeditated attack . 2. second person was murdered by accident. 3. murdered in self defense....you get were i'm going with this right? Intent matters in law and in logic.

2. It's very naive for you to think that everyone agrees that the effect of Pino's comments and Hope's comments are the same or even negative at all.

7. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    It won't be in the contract (it would be impractical), but it may be in their bylaws. Or not. NFL doesn't seem to have such a rule, NBA on the other hand has very specific rules on what to do during anthem, where exactly to stand, etc. They've suspended people over it in the past, although they don't do it every time. It will be interesting what the NBA does in this case, if people kneel during their season.

8. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Termination seems to save them a few dollars, as 3 months end in November. They don't have to pay for December. Besides, termination is hard to challenge in court, as federation doesn't need a reason to terminate a contract (as I understood it, anyway). As long as they pay for 3 extra months, they can terminate for any reason or none.

Suspension is necessary because technically, if it was only termination, Solo could be invited back again, whenever Jill decides.

Maybe in reality Jill never would want her back. But it probably would be a situation with more distractions. Media would keep asking about Hope and if she'll be invited for the next camp, and the next, and the next. 6 month suspension removes those questions.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think it's more than that but I dont claim to know the details of the contract. It is certainly the first time I ever heard of someone getting both fired and suspended at the same time.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    1. In ur argument Rapinoe was the only one with intent...Solo was just blowing off steam. Solo had the nerve to think she could get away with a comment that wonld have just been shrugged if a male athlete had said it. But no, Im not naive enough to think that all crimes deserve the same punishment. Let me quickly sum up my position on Rapinoes protest....I dont care if she ever stands for the national anthem again. It doesnt offend me in the least. Two things do offend me. First she is selfishly doing this on her employers time. Rapinoe has both the time and the media access to lend her voice to this issue on her own time. She has celebrity and if she is serious about her stand she should use it. Second, the protest has been mostly ineffective. While she has managed to stir conversation on whether it is unAmerican to protest the flag, I hear very few people discussing the unconscionable treatment minorities have been suffering at the hands of some police officers.

2. For me Rapinoe lost the high ground with her statement after the Spirit incident. Her deduction that a veteran taking issue with her protesting the flag must have homophobic undertones was just as classless as Solo confusing good tactics with cowardice.

skybolt and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  11. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From USSF:
    Hosting of International Matches and Tournaments
    IV. National Anthems.

The national anthems of the competing National Teams shall be played prior to the commencement of any match. In all cases, the national anthem of the designated “home” team shall be played last. All players and members of the delegations are expected to show the proper respect for all national anthems. There is no obligation to play National Anthems for club matches.

http://www.ussoccer.com/about/federation-services/international-games/operating-procedures

HouseofCards and chungachanga repped this.
  12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The suspension was for 6 months, which extends past the date of the contract which expires 12/31/2016. The speculation I've seen from reporters is that USSF would still have contractual obligations to Solo if they did not also terminate her (perhaps meaning calling her back in at the end of her suspension, but that could mean something else...no one seems sure.). The only way to avoid those contractual obligations was to suspend and terminate.

kernel_thai repped this.
  13. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    That makes it sound like USWNT contracts auto-renew every year once signed (until terminated / retired). Could be.

14. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am inclined to agree. If there is not a new CBA agreement by the end of December, both sides can agree to continue under the existing CBA until a new agreement. Under suspension only, Solo could become pregnant within the six months, go under maternity pay for 2017, and USSF may then have to again offer her a contract in '18. (last thing they may want is a Solo then coming back fighting for/expecting to be/assuming she is the #1 GK). Or, as a member of the PA negotiation committee, I wonder if failure to offer Solo a contract for '17 could violate labor laws as a possible form of retribution. I suspect USSF felt now was the least bad time to cut her.

15. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    THIS IS NOT THEIR CONTRACT FOR THE 10TH TIME, the players do not sign this.
    (regardless you do realize, it says "expected". it does not say "mandatory".)

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

So..

Cops are killing unarmed black people and the USSF has to save face over Rapinoe and Kaepernick?

I'm kind of puzzled how they will save face considering a cop just got charged with first degree manslaughter today , and it may go to murder.

Stop killing innocent people and Rapinoe won't take a knee. Why isn't Jill Ellis taking a knee?

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  17. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    It's an interesting point too.

18. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Nor is this the statement that USSF made regarding Rapinoe as you previously indicated.

19. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    YES THEY DID. oy vey. you people.

After Rapinoe took a knee on Thursday, U.S. Soccer released a statement that read, in part: “As part of the privilege to represent your country, we have an expectation that our players and coaches will stand and honor our flag while the national anthem is played.” U.S. coach Jill Ellis had said she would deliberate on whether to punish Rapinoe for Sunday’s game, but SI.com has learned that no punishment is forthcoming tonight in Atlanta.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...ccer-colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protest

20. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    where is this quote from Rapinoe though, i'd love to see it. and i'm so glad she's again brining up LGBT and their lack of rights.
    I'm curious how she worded it... considering what you're taking away from it.

21. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Their statement reiterates the expectations from the above piece. They have written expectations, and they issued a statement that backed up those previously written expectations.

I am glad they are not going to punish Rapinoe, let's move on to the next piece of drama, which will surely be back to the CBA.

22. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    you're making up arguments

- I never said Hope didn't have intent.
    - Rapinoe has NOT broken any rules, they are advised to stand, they don't have to. The fed is not punishing her.
    - claiming both "The common effect was team rules were broken" is false.
    - Therefor these claims have no legitimacy.

- "I hear very few people discussing the unconscionable treatment minorities have been suffering at the hands of some police officers." TURN ON THE NEWS.

yes, you can have your opinions on Rapinoe, that i don't care.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    How can u read the statement u typed and take it to mean Rapinoe didnt break a team rule? If no rule was broken why was Ellis deliberating on punishing her?

As to the second section in a bold I was referring to people in the soccer community who Rapinoe is trying to reach with this protest. If anything she has managed to divert attention from the real problem. The thousands who booed Rapinoe in Atlanta were expressing their believe that she should not be protesting in this way not that her cause wasnt just.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Ellis isn't an attorney? They probably told her to back off. The players and USSF are in litigation. It could also have something to do with people she's demonstrating about getting murdered by cops.
    What side does the USSF want to be on there?

The USF would be looking for the trifecta of bad moves this year. Considering the lawsuits against the players and expiring CBA's this year, now weighing in on the wrong side of civil rights, the USSF would stir up a hornets nest it would take years to get past.They ought be worrying how they are going to get a CBA. Punishing a player leader in that isn't going to help. She's one of the players in litigation with the USSF right now, remember?

If you want to talk laws, the NLRB has a bunch of them about punishing labor organizers.

If you think Rapinoe broke a team rule, state the rule -- exactly.
    Anything about 'expectations' isn't a rule. An expectation is about the USSF, not anything Rapinoe did. Using wording on expectations isn't something that's in the cards.

25. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC