USSF State Law Test

Discussion in 'Referee' started by law5guy, Aug 7, 2007.

1. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Well, I am finally going for my State upgrade. :)
    Any pointers on the test? Not really looking for a 'brain dump' but, just wondering how different it is from the 8-7 test?
    Thanks in advance.

2. OhRef

OhRef Member

May 22, 2006
    Study FIFA Q&A, Advice, and Guide to procedures. There are quite a few procedural questions

3. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

Really study the ATR a lot! That is going to be key.

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recent USSF Memorandums, too.

5. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    There are a few questions where one answer is "by the book" and the another is "common sense" or what you would do on the field. Always go with the book answer. Common sense is for assessments.

6. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    falcon.7 has provided GREAT advice here. Using common sense instead of the book answer will result in several wrong answers on the test. While taking the test, resist the temptation to let common sense prevail!

7. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely study guide to procedures, and don't forget the duties of the 4th official! There is a lot more procedural stuff on the State test than on the entry-level test.

8. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Congrats, and good luck!

9. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    84 on the written. Not as good as I would have liked it to be but... I passed :)
    Passed the run too...

Now on to my assessments.

Thanks to everyone gave advice... it came in handy.

10. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Congrats. Passing is the main concern; a better score is just icing on the cake. 84 is nothing to be ashamed of.

Let me get this straight: in your state, you take the tests first, before you have passed your assessments? In some states, I believe you first pass the assessments and then take the written test closer to the end of the calendar year. I guess it doesn't really matter that states do not handle this type of administrative detail the same exact way, but I had always assumed they did.

11. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Only 2 people in the class had all their assemssments done. so they registered at the end of the class as grade 6.

If you dont have the assessments, they counted the class for 2008 recert for grade 7, if you wanted to. Then when you have your assessments, you pay the extra $15 (the difference between the fee for Referee and State)plus a $5 admin fee to get the State badge.

OR... you could not recert as 7, then wait to do your asssements and then register as 6 (saves you $5... but, if you dont have your assemssments done by Dec 31, then you become really SOL as you then will not be registered with USSF and then cant referee anymore).

Needless to say... most people took the 'safety first' option of registering as grade 7 (that's what I did), but there were a couple that wanted to save $5. lol

12. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I went the "save $5 way" on my upgrade to 7, doing it immediately would have saved me only a couple of months before the "normal" re-registratoin. However, now, a year later, USSF still has me as an 8. Seems they messed up the recert and it hasn't been fixed up yet. Now I have to register for 2008 and I'm not sure what to put on the form (have a call into the new SRA), if I put 7 will they reject it cause they have me as an 8, and I can't put "upgrade" because all my paperwork/events were from last year. hmmmm

Would have been worth the $