USSF Presidential Election :: February 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Oct 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

That's some good shit.

Need more of this stuff to expose the ugliness that hides behind the MLS/SUM/USSF mafia.

TheRightPants, TOAzer and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

That's the only path forward for US soccer to truly become a major player in world futbol.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    That is an article about soccer that reads like it is written by real journalist who isn’t controlled by some outside force.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of Carter's comments the other day were shocking. Either lying or totally clueless.

5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I say both

TOAzer and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    This has been the case for a while now.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y’all need to read the article. A pay to play club is trying to get money because Rubin played here as a child.

It’s very clear the intent of the FIFA rule is to encourage free or nearly free soccer for youngsters. US style pay to play clubs aren’t relevant to that intent.

“The landscape” may be waking up, but you’ll have to link a different article to prove it.

mbar and ceezmad repped this.
  8. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Carter is going to win. This thing has already been decided, bought and paid for.

I still have a small inkling of hope for Wynalda.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The general principle in politics is: "if they win, they're part of the system; if they're not part of the system and still win, they can be bought; if they can't be bought, they're killed or forced to resign."

Works for countries and CEOs in corporations, at any rate. And, of course, the best trick is to make one of the GOBs win while making people believe s/he's the outsider. That's a good one, worth a laugh.

TOAzer and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    My apologies for not checking in the last few days. Please read stuff that's been written.

sXeWesley repped this.
  12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Any good links? I'm lazy that way.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s like saying, herpes is going to win. I have a small hope I’ll get HIV instead.

mbar, Hararea, ursula and 3 others repped this.
  14. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because the ussf is a business that's why they have business people. just like every federation. Do you realy wanna back to the days of "soccer people" like joe barriskill? Some people needs there heads out of the clouds.

mbar repped this.
  15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    And they have business people on salary and working full time. But the Board of Directors and President oversee what the CEO is doing with the business. Further, the business of the USSF is to govern and foster the game of soccer in the USA. It is not to make a profit.

Probably a whole soccer technical side needs to be created separate from the business side and answering to a GM that is on par with Dan Flynn and reports directly to the BOD. This is how most sports clubs and franchises run. To just have every decision made based on the business aspect of the problem and not the soccer aspect is short sighted and leads to things like missing the World Cup, being in court over solidarity payments, being in court over 2nd division sanctioning, being referred to the USDOJ twice in a year for criminal investigation; and being sued in the CAS.

mbar, Master O and 2in10 repped this.
  16. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No that's because the NASL owners are nutjob

17. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your right we should go back to the 70s and 80s were the uSsf was teethering on bankruptcy

18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Let's make this more concrete. In the season when Carter was an all-region goalkeeper, the All-American was Karen Richter (now Hoppa). So Hoppa trumps Carter in playing ability and probably also in brains (Hoppa graduated Magna Cum Laude).

But the thing that really makes Hoppa a soccer person is the fact that she has spent the past 25+ years coaching, while the only actual soccer thing Carter has done since 1990 is play in some rec leagues. She's apparently never even bothered to coach a peewee team.

Unless you want your fed to be run by a marketer or a puppet, Carter isn't remotely qualified.

bsky22 repped this.
  19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I love the straw man! Yes, let's go back to the 70s. Silly.

The USSF should make enough money to do its primary job of governing and promoting soccer in the United States. Its primary job is not to make money off of soccer in the United States. I think the focus has been on the latter for a long time.

Suyuntuy, 2in10 and Winoman repped this.
  20. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a link to the full forum with all the candidates:

Seems like we should have done better than this group as a whole, but I guess in the case of USSF president you get what you pay for.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Consolidating posts from different forums since they probably belong here.

Here are the presidents of some federations

Germany: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhard_Grindel
    England: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Clarke
    Italy (former): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Tavecchio
    France: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noël_Le_Graët
    Spain: Juan Luis Larrea, but couldn't find a page for him

Politicians and business people. I'm sure some federations are run by distinguished soccer players, but it certainly doesn't have to be the case.

This is why I like Carter's idea (if not necessarily Carter herself) of setting up a blue-ribbon committee to look at player development. It's not enough just to have people with soccer expertise, you need people who have had success in high-level organizations. In the US, the overlap of those groups is small so you are going to have to have a mix of people.

It's important to have people with domain expertise in technical jobs, but you don't necessarily need that in leadership positions. Organization skills are much more important in what's basically a loose affiliation of non-profits and businesses. Wynalda's and Martino's organizational experience is at such a low level that they will be lost trying to get something done.

For me, anyone who is elected president should move to appoint technical directors for both the men's and women's national teams. These should be domain experts. Also, appoint a committee to look at youth development with half of the committee consisting of people from outside soccer but who have had high-level business success with sports organizations.

After that, there isn't much for a president to do besides chair meetings.

22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Here is how i see the candidates from a scale of revolutionary to staus quo.

Hope Solo
    Erik Wynalda
    Kyle Martini
    Steve Winograd
    Paul Caligiuri
    Steve Gans
    Carlos Cordeiro
    Kathy Carter

23. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone that has Twitter needs to share all of these stories/reports/interviews of Bradley, Arena, Howard, Rongen and @ every one of the candidates. Let them know that this is not acceptable ways of thinking and this attitude is why we are in the mess we are in.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    This is the US. If you don't have a hotline to Goldman Sachs, you ain't got shite.

2in10 repped this.
  25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem would be who picks those in charge of panel. Same 'ol bunch that caused the problems that are there now? That's a reason to not have a business person in charge. Could be fixed if she named her soccer expert that would deal with that side so voters can determine if that expert can deliver what she promises. I would hope it's not Rongen or the blue ribbon panel might to to a more brownish color.

juveeer and Hararea repped this.