USSF Presidential Election :: February 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Oct 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope didn't play in college and I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Maybe calling her not a soccer person was the wrong wording but he's one of those types of people that will exploit any weakness someone may have and not hold back. It's not sexest, I don't care if it's a man, woman or red panda she was a part of the problem. Same as Cordiero. I have my concerns about Wynalda as well. While he doesn't have the business background he had touched almost every part of soccer outside of owning a team. Player, coach, TD, broadcaster, analyst, columnist and radio host. He would make a better TD than president. I also liked Winograds interview as well.

Patrick167 repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can’t talk about “the game” and the schedule that way and make any sense. You just can’t.

Just take a second to think about it. It’s obvious if you have an open mind.
    Wuh?

Berniebros need to understand that there was nothing nefarious about Hillary being a vastly better candidate within th Democratic nomination process. Just to prove how bassackward your thinking is, Bernie did great in caucuses, which are anti small d democratic AND more of an “insider” thing. Hillary crushed him in primaries.

3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think your calendar is a good one. I wasn't suggesting they have games in January. Just that it isn't that big a deal and you can play in most MLS cities in February. They already play early March; it isn't that different. Using your dates, August could be played primarily in the northern MLS cities then the schedule balanced out by playing in the mostly southern cities in February/March.

4. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “This is a good old boys club,” says Gomez when asked if American soccer has a problem with key figures putting themselves above the greater good of the program. “The same leadership has been recycled for a decade or more. It’s that simple.”

Perez agrees. “Right now it’s too much friendship, too much status quo,” he says. “People fail and there’s no accountability. People who think it’s fine that we didn’t qualify for the World Cup, that’s not true. People who know football know we haven’t been good for years. It has to do with our vision and plans. At the end, what it came down to is that we didn’t know what we were doing.

“The only thing I can tell you is this: We have to have accountability. Without accountability, you tend to relax, you tend to be careless.”

According to Gomez, the new president will be inheriting numerous staff members who aren’t receptive to criticism.

“This is a good old boys club.” — Herculez Gomez, on U.S. Soccer
    “Here’s the problem with U.S. Soccer officials,” Gomez says. “They almost get angry when you bring up the point that they’re not doing enough. For as much as it angers them — and they text and call and email and try to bully people behind the scenes — it doesn’t change the fact that they’re not doing enough.”

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/201...eam-hispanic-player-development-sueno-alianza

Seriously, instead of absorbing criticism and enacting change USSF officials are bullying people behind the scenes? We've seen this elsewhere behind the with the whole "fall in line mantra".

As each day unfolds we see just how much of a mess we are and how much our powers that be don't have much interest in the actual game.

Not only were those who questioned what we're doing largely correct but it seems it's much worse than we thought.

The major red flag is we've move beyond incompetence and lacking the know-how. We've gotten to the point it's arrogance, underserved exceptionalism and worse, traces of xenophobia.

juveeer, sXeWesley, Statman and 3 others repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the season starts and stops is 100% a business decision and 0% about the game. Having established that...any schedule that has teams being in the road or at home for more than two weeks will hurt the business of MLS. We know that too many games in a row is bad for attendance. So, to me, the schedule can’t start any earlier than 2weeks before a good start date for the coldest city (I’m guessing that’s MNUTD.)

Denver ‘s weather is so weird and random that you just have to grow it out as an outlier.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Soccer in the USA was founded, nurtured, and controlled by Englishmen for a long period of time. In that time, the organization caught the vice anglais, that the French thought was BDSM but in reality is nepotism & clique-ism. Reason why the inventors of the modern game have lagged for decades, too, because they're more into promoting the cousin-of-my-friend than the people who can do the job.

juveeer, Excellency and Patrick167 repped this.
  8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    There is nothing sexist about saying Carter doesn’t have the soccer experience needed to run our Federation.

I’ll keep any of my views about men and women out of this. I don’t think being a great college player 20-25 years ago makes one knowledgeable enough about the sport to run our federation. There was no professional league and access to foreign soccer was limited in the early 90s. Many division 1 soccer players at the time weren’t really fans of the game, just happened to have played growing up and athletic enough to play in college.

We have very few people with the soccer knowledge to run our Fed and that threshold is well beyond college soccer. It is knowledge of all the professional leagues in the US, it’s experience with the international game, it is experience/knowledge of how things are done in other countries, it’s knowledge about youth soccer in the US from the youngest recreational up to the highest DA level, etc. As an example, I believe Chris Norris over lapped with Carter at W&M and don’t think he is qualified.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=762

It is pretty clear to me that no one person has the experience and our best bet is a soccer person and business person as the #1 and #2. There are pros and cons for each as the head, but given where we are and how we got here, I’d prefer it be a soccer person a the #1. None of the so called soccer candidates bring a real comfort level of being up to the task. Given what we’ve got I’d probably go with Wynalda as President, Winograd as Vice-President and then hiring a technical director (with sub directors for the various areas of the game). Transparency across these key functions would be the key.

Hararea, Pl@ymaker and 2in10 repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I educated you privately, because we're not supposed to get seriously into politics publicly. All I did was briefly express a fact.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric Wynalda Discusses His Financial Problems –– and Everything Else

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/17/sports/soccer/eric-wynalda-ussoccer.html

"His candidacy has been called Trump-like. Wynalda rejects the label"

So I guess that's settled then, if he rejects the label...

"spent months eviscerating the very organization he hopes to lead"

Okay so one thing in common maybe...

"insisted that he alone has the skills to run an organization"

Okay so he's presenting himself as the only possible savior to the frustrated masses... that's it right?

"spent part of the last decade warding off creditors"

"personal financial turbulence"

"having a bit of a temper"

"his campaign is being financed in part by [an entity that is at odds with the one he hopes to lead]"

"little experience to prepare him for the task"

"filed for personal bankruptcy"

"I drastically overestimated my income"

"On the campaign trail, he has pulled no punches"

"Between the insults... delivers a rousing pitch"

[​IMG]

superdave repped this.
  11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, he isn't Trump. Trump fcks other people wives when in Wynalda's case it's kind of opposite.

russ and superdave repped this.
  12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Hopefully the next USSF Pres. can bury away those arrogance and ignorance that doomed us this cycle; open their eyes to learn a few things from Iceland.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yeah, sure, but does their federation have a $140 million surplus?

14. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Sure, we have $140M and still failed to qualify. If they have that kind of cash, perhaps they would be winning the WC by now.

15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it too late to get Herc to run?

Pl@ymaker and sXeWesley repped this.
  16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Immediately following Couva, certain media personalities were very angry. Guys like Twellman and Lalas were especially upset. Then there were guys like Herc and candidates like Martino that were upset but more cautioned with their criticism. Fast forward to today and Lalas and Twellman seem to have come around to, "some minor fixes needed, don't touch MLS, it will be ok." Meanwhile, it seems like Martino, probably by talking to delegates, seems to have come almost all the way to Wynalda's positions and has become angrier and less amenable to the MLS/SUM/USSF b.s. Herc, especially since JoGone and the Brad Rothenberg comments has really become radicalized.

I really wouldn't mind Wynalda or Martino becoming the USSF President with the other becoming the new GM. Then I'd expect them to bring in guys like Herc, Hugo Perez, Heath Pearce, and maybe even Hope Solo as an advisory committee for the GM.

Guys like Grant Wahl, Steve Davis, and Brian Straus don't seem to be upset at all. Strange, as the failure to qualify has probably impacted media jobs most of all. Tyler Dunne made a great point on Oct. 12th, that probably 100-500 media jobs related to the World Cup in the US probably just got eliminated with the USMNT. My initial impulse is that the ones still with jobs get their income from MLS/SUM/USSF and they don't want to rock that boat. Wahl and Straus work for Sports Illustrated and Wahl did fall into the piece about the dinner with Gulati, Carter, Garber, and NYC adult associations. But they joke on their podcast how they aren't doing much and they don't seem to be really digging into things. Wahl will retweet NYTimes stories on the election but why is the NY Times finding stories before him? Wonder how much SI advertising is tied to MLS/SUM or their partners like Coca-Cola, et al.

All the media guys have mostly been around since 2002, yet we have no idea how much equity stake in SUM Sunil Gulati has or whether he draws a salary from that company. Just the fact Sunil is involved with SUM seems like new information.

17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Does anyone really believe that guys like Wahl is a real soccer journalist?

I haven't seen a piece from him, ever, that would indicate he had done any "real" journalism or investigative reporting. Guys like them are nothing more than paid mouth pieces by MLS/SUM/USSF.

When were the last time, if ever, you see these guys stand in front of a mic during a press conference and be critical and interrogate the US Soccer leaders (Gulati, Arena, etc.).

juveeer, puttputtfc, sXeWesley and 3 others repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bradley and Altidore have brought credibility to the league like nobody else and would not have done so had they been retained in MLS because the selling price was too low.

taking the longer view on schedule as well: I'd like to see the final played on the week end before Thanksgiving because that way there will be no soccer widows over the holidays and mothers everywhere will be encouraging their kids to walk up to dad and ask him to go to a soccer game instead of tackle or NBA. If this means starting earlier, then consider that teams from north already play pre season in southern climes where they set up a base of operations so there would not be much problem playing first 2 months of season in Cali, Tex, Florida, etc. and pack in the home games in beautiful summers in Toronto and Vancouver and Montreal - when there's no hockey.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The one thing that differentiates the successful entrepreneur from the failure is that the successful entrepreneur brushed himself off and got out of the gutter and tried again after going bust the first time while the failure just gave up.

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    us soccer is well past the entrepreneurial stage

21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States