News: USSF makes it official!!!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by doogiemo, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes.

Good venue, good fans. Don't mess with success.

2. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  3. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Yeah!

(sorry to SLC)

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it wasn't snowing.

I just want the airports to stay open.

5. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Plus hotel.

Rental.

Lots of beer. Tickets.

x2 for fiance.

I can justify that if I get to go snowboarding in Utah.

Or take a cheap train up to Seattle.

Not to freaking Columbus, Ohio.

6. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but they don't have nearly as many guys playing in Europe as we do. Galindo, Pardo, and Osorio in Germany; Castillo, Vela, and Dos Santos in England; Salcido in Holland; and Marquez and Guadardo in Spain. You could also include Blanco in Chicago, if he gets called up, in terms of being accustomed to the cold--of course, you probably wouldn't include the guys playing in Spain.

But even playing in northern Europe isn't really adequate preparation. Average temperature in Columbus in February is something like 27 degrees--it hardly ever gets that cold in Europe except in Scandinavia or in the mountains.

And as mentioned, it's as much psychological as anything else. I'd love to see our guys come out for kickoff all wearing short sleeves, kinda like some cold-weather NFL teams do late in the season to psyche out their opponents.

7. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well...my day/week/month was just ruined. Who was responsible for claiming it was at Rio?

8. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    A Mexican

9. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure there's a forum for you. Try searching snowboarding or a forum for daytrips. Perhaps you can find some hints on outlet shopping on your snowboarding trip. The rest of us here will have our eyes on Columbus so you're just in the wrong forum.

10. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Going to see U.S v Mexico should be good enough IMO.

11. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great way to spend my 30th birthday (week)

12. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is USA vs. Mexico. If they played this game in the town dump of Minot, North Dakota, it would be worth the trip.

13. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Our house
    Is a very very fine house
    With two goals in the net
    This used to make us sweat
    Now everything is easy cause of you.

14. Warzycha

Warzycha Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Denver, CO
    SUCK IT SNAKE EYES!!!!!!!

The game is in Columbus! Please don't come to the game, I'd hate for our worthless crowd to disappoint you!!!!

15. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    then don't go... it's that easy...

16. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    If you saw the tape of the 2001 game, you'd think otherwise. During the national anthem, a couple of those guys looked actually scared of the cold that day. Not disadvantaged, scared.

Luis Hernandez took it out on Brian McBride's eye socket, but, alas, it was a beautiful thing to watch them look around the stadium in awe of the cold.

Viva La Guerra Fria, bitches!

For every 2 articles, he was right 0.

:eek:

17. othakidfrmaltalomahs

Jan 25, 2008
    RC/ALTA LOMA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hahahaha

anyways...any COLUMBUS FOLKS WILLING TO HOUSE 3 hispanic men who are making the trip from LA??? hahaha WOOH IM EXCITED LETS KICK SOME MEXICAN BUTT!!! I MEAN FREEZE AND KICK SOME MEXICAN BUTT!!!

18. othakidfrmaltalomahs

Jan 25, 2008
    RC/ALTA LOMA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously.....

19. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Once again, you're making yourself looking foolish. I was one of the biggest proponents of the game being in Columbus. I just laughed at your characterization of events during the MLS season

20. Warzycha

Warzycha Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Find an appropriate place for the thread and tell me what really happened at Crew Stadium. Let me know where I can find your characterization of events during the MLS season. You didn't laugh, you called them crap. I can't wait to hear your take! If you have doubts about the crowd in Columbus, they will be answered on Feb 11th.

Everyone else, look for the absurdity of Frankie Hedjuk wearing tights b/c of cold weather, then parading around after the game with no shirt on!!!! (not expecting him to play, but probably be called into a camp in Columbus and probably be on the bench!)

21. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I don't know how much clearer I can make it. Either you will get it or you won't. My comments were solely about how grandiose your view of the Crew supporters end was during the MLS season; including specific games.

It has NOTHING to do with Columbus hosting the WCQ or the atmosphere gained. How you could read my last post and come away with it thinking I had doubts is beyond me. Again I was the biggest proponent on BigSoccer; having been to the previous WCQs. I have no doubt because I know what it was like before. Didn't have nor need the Nordecke then. This time won't be any different.

22. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i forgot about that one. :D who coined that term, Univision or Telemundo? Not 'coined the term' I guess, moreso used it in this particular contest.

I remember when they brought that out back in 2001. I think I watched the game exclusively on Spanish TV that year. "La Guerra Fria" -- they do a much better job of promo-ing their soccer stuff than ESPN. i remember seeing La Guerra Fria promos like weeks before the actual game one year. it's a good thing ESPN doesn't do that stuff, or they might actually drum up some mainstream interest for the game. and we wouldn't want that. :)

What I'm getting at is these Columbus games really add to the myth/legend of this US/Mexico series. it's a very good thing.

23. Warzycha

Warzycha Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Great, looking forward to your explanations of what happened since you said mine were crap. Don't know how much clearer I can make it. If my view was crap, what is the correct view? In another thread so these US fans don't have to listen to us!

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    it was a head-to-head collision with Rafa Marquez the put McBride out of that game.