USSF Logo socks

Discussion in 'Referee' started by AspireNatlRef, Aug 16, 2007.

1. AspireNatlRef

AspireNatlRef Member

Jul 13, 2007
    New Orleans
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering...

Have the USSF logo socks gone out of style. I only wore them once when all of the crew had them, but haven't found another Krewe(hell I live in new orleans:eek:) that had them... so is this no longer really an issue. I only got them cause I thought they were what was going to be required but now not so much....

And I should have put a poll of have them but rarely use them... oops...

ANR

2. mvgary

mvgary Member

Jan 12, 2006
    I use Logo socks because:
    1) Some referees only have logo socks. Really.
    2) Three referees at home and my kids always took my striped socks (even out of my bag).

3. ref47

ref47 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    n. va
    i bought a pair last year, just in case the entire crew wanted to use them. haven't taken the hangtag off yet. too many refs in my area do not worry about having the same socks. i guess they don't read the guidance.

4. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    In this area you wont' see them until you do state cup type of games. the average youth refs don' thave them, they have the 3 stripe socks.

5. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say I use them 1 out of every 4 or 5 games. Not sure where that fits on your poll. I guess that's "all the time". Also, not sure what the difference between 1 & 3 is.

6. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    I have 1 pair of them -- the original large logo version. I don't like how they look, especially on refs with large calves -- the logo spreads out too much and becomes unrecognizable. The newer version has a smaller logo that looks better when it is on the leg.

I wear them every few games. Most youth/amateur games they are not worn, but at tournaments or pro games many refs like to wear them. I still think the logo socks are considered the 'in' thing for referees at the higher levels. When it is my choice, we do not wear them.

I did not vote in the poll because none of the answers fits my vote.

7. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    I think I've worn mine once in 3 years.

8. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    When I went to ODP and Regionals everyone I worked with wanted to wear the logos. Personally I don't like them. I think the traditional 3 stripes is better, but somehow it's a power trip because they spent the money to buy the socks with the logo you can't even tell what it is unless you're a ref. But they are wearing it at all the MLS games, so that's good enough for me.

9. AspireNatlRef

AspireNatlRef Member

Jul 13, 2007
    New Orleans
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know the poll was flawed. Ment to have 3 read, Have them and rarely use them... my mistake, as noted in my original post sorry. Flawed flawed flawed...

ANR

10. Citiref

Citiref New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Always logos for me. I think the almost all black looks better, though stripes are sharp too. I can't remember the last time I wore stripes.

11. ref47

ref47 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    n. va
    atr 5.1. ... Referees and Assistant Referees must wear the same color jerseys and the same style socks, ...

12. jacoismyhero

jacoismyhero New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I wear them all the time. The three stripes at the top give a shorter look to your leg, whereas the straight black on your shins on the logo socks gives a sleeker look, I think, similar to the current FIFA socks. The new logos in particular look good, since they're smaller and recognizable. Plus they have the OSI logo... as I've mentioned before, I'd probabyl buy OSI-logo'd underwear.

13. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    FYI

the logo socks at OSI are on back order until the end of september

14. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Around here, most refs have and wear the logo socks. In most matches we don't stress if the entire crew's socks don't match, although when doing State Cup etc. I will make sure to have both on hand.

I also think the logo socks are quite comfy, which is why they are my first choice.

15. intechpc

intechpc Member

Sep 22, 2005
    West Bend, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have and prefer to wear the logo socks whenever possible. I'm all about "looking the part" when I referee. Unfortuantely, very few referees in my area share my goal. Hell, even at Region II ODP there were very very few that actually had the logo'ed socks (heck some of the refs were wearing Score or Law 5 jerseys)>

16. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    I guess it is just matters of opinion. I find the logo socks to be less professional/looking the part.

17. Tarheel Ref

Tarheel Ref New Member

May 3, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Logos for me as much as possible. I carry the stripes all the time in case we all really need to match, but always prefer the "italian" logo socks to the striped ones.

Although I do think they look better, there is an additional factor for me...they seem to be made of lighter material than all the various striped pairs I own and therefore, especially during the summer, are more comfortable and less heat-retentive than any thicker pair.

18. Tarheel Ref

Tarheel Ref New Member

May 3, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    One day in the not-too-distant future, we all might have to!:cool:

19. propes

propes New Member

Jun 22, 1999
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    At Region II in 2004, everyone wore the logo socks - it just seems to be less popular this go-round. I had one game where no everyone had logos, but it seemed that people were realizing how silly they look.

Personally, I'd like to see the three stripes go - I like a straight black sock, and then the logo would just be an alternative. Assuming we could go that way for HS and college, too (which is a pipe dream).

20. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    In CYSA North State Cup matches, they force all crews to wear the logo socks. No logo socks? No ref.