USSF Development Academy 2.0

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Mar 22, 2012.

1. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Exactly!

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A better question would be why the Canadian teams should be in the USSF development academy at all. Why in the world would US soccer want to aid in the development of Canada's youngsters?

[We all know why. MLS is driving this bus........not the USSF.]

Whether the Canadians want to be in the development academy or not should be irrelevant.

3. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Is playing the 2 of the top teams in Canada better than playing the 75th ranked US team? If the whole point of the DA is to get the better players playing games vs each other. You should want to have all the best teams possible.

1 person likes this.
  4. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    But playing against Seacoast United from New Hampshire will really improve our squad! blah blah protectionist crap

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I'd like to know more about the financial relationship between the USSF DA coffers and the Canadian teams. I have no problem with letting them into the DA for competitive benefits but I'd have a much greater problem if they are getting funding from the DA budget.
    If you want the advantages of joining the US DA but fund it yourself.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It'll certainly help Seacoast United.

I personally think the United States Soccer Federation Development Academy should be promoting/financing/developing players in the United States. Imagine that. Not aiding in the development of the players from one of their closest rivals.

I mean.........we are on the USA youth national team boards after all. I care about the development of players here in the USA, not Canada or Antigua.

Let the CSA and Canadian MLS teams figure out their own developmental system.

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    They're developing their own players just playing vs our players. Financing is the key. Just how much if at all is US funding predominantly teams of Canadian youth players. Promoting.....shrug. Who on these boards is an investigative reporter type.

8. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Does USSDA/USSF provide funding to ANY of the MLS DA teams? If so, can you show where this is documented?

9. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Players develop in part by playing against better competition. The whole point is, playing against the whitecaps or TFC is going to help make teenage Johnny a better player than if he were playing against the club used in the above post for example.

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That's only part of the equation. I don't want Johnny playing against better competition if USSF is funding Canadian pro teams just as much as American pro and amateur teams.
    We can have both. Have Johnny play Canadian teams without USSF sending money their way.

11. CalBlue

CalBlue Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Tilley has had some injuries and also he went to Sweden and missed some games. Be interesting to see if he pushed back into the team when he's fully back. There was a rumour that he might go back to Europe as he has played at Tottenham in the past and they are looking again apparently!

12. ThiKuBC

ThiKuBC Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    Again I ask - where does it say USSF is paying ANY of the MLS teams or subsidizing their participation in USSDA in any way? Let alone the Canadian teams.

I say "again I ask" b/c I've just re-registered under a different username. AKA, bettermirror.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You signed in to ask a question a second time under a different username then telling people thinking that will then get it answered? I don't think anyone knows how any of the USSF DA funding works. There are hard costs and soft costs. Do they pay for travel, hotels, refs, infrastructure. Do they pay for technical directors to interact with MLS DA teams to improve play. Do they pay for Evaluations to improve the teams development. Do they pay for personnel to set schedules, scoring, Internet sites. Do they pay for the showcases which MLS teams are involved in. There are benefits that I would think DA pays for and MLS gains the rewards. Hard cash to run the program may not be involved but there is money to support them in many other ways.

14. ThiKuBC

ThiKuBC Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    haha, signing in under diff't name not related to aksing the question again. Just noting I have a new name on here. I asked it again b/c ppl are going on as if it's fact that USSF is paying the teams and I am asking if anyone has evidence to prove the claim....I'd genuinely like to know. This is news to me.

Considering Whitecaps play majority of home games in Seattle I suspect USSF isn't paying them much? Though I guess Whitecaps could say "You wanted us to join and are making us go to Seattle for home games...pay up."

Anyway, your point about "other costs" is valid...but again....has this been documented anywhere that it happens? If it isn't documented why are ppl assuming it? Specifically re: MLS teams....I can see non-MLS DA's defo getting such subsidy from USSF. Which would make a lot of sense.

15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I like you better as bettermirror. ;)
    I agree would love to know more. Just don't think they're paying MLS DA's a check to subsidize their day to day operations not directly related to game day or running the 'program' but pays alot of the soft costs. I would like to think its still pretty significant. In the middle would be how much of travel and hotel they pay.
    Indirectly they would pay the nonMLS team to travel to them so that in a way is subsidizing their play.

16. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Training in sight on RSL. Watched the 16s scrimmage the sc del sol u 17s on Thursday night and then saturday was a full intra squad scrimmage. Both of these games treated and played full intensity. SC COACH this is how the academies make up for the lack of games if they are smart. By the way way my son scored a nice goal and assist :)

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-soccer/post/_/id/5529/south-carolina-lands-rsl-az-defender

Another top RSL-AZ academy player has committed to the NCAAs.

Ive Burnett, one of the nation's top Class of 2013 prospects, verbally committed Wednesday to the University of South Carolina.

The Brandon, Miss., native attends school in Arizona and plays for the Under-18 Real Salt Lake-AZ Development Academy squad. Burnett, a defender, has started all 20 matches for RSL-AZ this season and the team currently sits in third place in the SoCal Division. He has scored one goal.

18. ThiKuBC

ThiKuBC Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Club:
    Whitecaps
  19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. ThiKuBC

ThiKuBC Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    haha, Shea asks for it with that ridiculous hair cut.

21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he's a better dribbler than Shea and just as one footed (maybe even more).

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2012/04/academy-update-fcd-returns-development-academy-action

A review of FC Dallas' youth games over the past week.

FC Dallas U-18s: 6
    Texans SC Houston: 0

Interestingly, two of the goals were scored by Chinese U18 international Jia Jie Zhuang. Another two goals scored by Jose De La Tejera, who's been lighting it up recently. He's the second leading scorer (12 in 15 games) for the team after Daniel Garcia. Somebody like Boomer will have to correct me..............but I don't think Jose is US-eligible.

In their last 5 games against academy teams , FCD has scored 21 goals (5-0, 5-0, 0-1, 5-0, 6-0). In their 25 games against academy opponents they've scored 75 goals, and have conceded 12.

I don't know if they've clinched the Texas Division crown yet, but they must be awfully close.

FC Dallas U-16s: 3
    Texans SC Houston: 0

The first goal was scored by Aaron Meyer, who recently returned from Bradenton. Another was scored by Kellyn Acosta, the former US U17.

Such is the strength of Dallas' U18 team.....................that Kellyn Acosta plays with the U16s!!!

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/academy-weekend-preview-april-21-22_aid24181

Preview of weekend DA games by TDS.

Of particular interest to me:

The Battle for North Carolina between the 4 teams in that state.

The Fire versus the Crew in the Central Conference.

It's #1 versus #2 in the Texas Division with FCD taking on Solar.

Also...U18 and U16 rankings (meaningless as they are) from ESPN Rise:

http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys-soccer/story/_/id/7826371/under-17-18-academy-rankings

In the U18 division, they've got:

1) LA Galaxy
    2) FC Dallas
    3) Colorado Rapids
    4) Shattuck-St. Mary's
    5) Chicago Fire
    6) Sockers FC
    7) Minnesota Thunder
    8) Albertson SC
    9) CASL Chelsea
    10) FC DELCO

25. ThiKuBC