USSF D2 Best Eleven announced

Discussion in 'NASL' started by teucer, Oct 21, 2010.

1. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeeper: Jay Nolly (Vancouver)
    Defenders: Greg Janicki (Vancouver), Aaron Pitchkolan (Rochester), Troy Roberts (Rochester)
    Midfielders: Ryan Pore (Portland, also league MVP), Martin Nash (Vancouver), Jamie Watson (Austin), Paul Araujo, Jr. (Miami), Daniel Paladini (Carolina)
    Forwards: Eddie Johnson (Austin), Ali Gerba (Montreal)

Congrats to them all!

2. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many will be in MLS next year? Pore and Johnson are the only definites at this point, right?

3. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paulo Jr. is making a strong case for himself. He's got 3 goals for RSL in the CCL so far since he went on loan from Miami.

4. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not one would surprise me to see in MLS within the next five years. They're all solid players.

I don't see any reason to predict Araujo going up next year specifically, though he very well could; Janicki shouldn't have any trouble staying on the Whitecaps' roster for the jump, and Nash and Nolly certainly have a decent case for it. Also, as much as I'd like to bring the Montreal hate, I can't deny that Gerba's a pretty impressive player too; only way he doesn't go up with his team in 2012 is if somebody else offers him something better.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Meh,

Not sure any of them will get playing time in MLS any time soon.

Pore was a dismal failure in his previous four or five years in MLS. He led the old MLS Reserve Division in scoring, just like he's been at the top of the D2 charts, but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in regulation MLS play.

Let's face it. If you're north of 23 and playing in D2, your chances of being anything more than bench fodder in MLS are pretty much zero.

The only USL Sounder getting minutes in MLS is Letoux - and they left him exposed in an expansion draft. Former USL1 Defender of the Year Taylor Graham is the perfect example of great at D2, awful at MLS.

I'm a fan of both leagues, but despite expansion, the level of play between the two leagues has continued to grow year after year.

With 150 new MLS jobs next year (adding 2 teams plus increasing rosters to 30), I do expect any talented D2 players in the u-23 age range to get offered roster spots in MLS. I'm not sure they'll take those offers. It's a tough call between being at the end of an MLS bench playing reserve games, but hoping for your "big chance" or being on a D2 team where you can play significant minutes of league action. It's a tough choice, especially if MLS is offering more money.

But, honestly, we're just as likely to see Ryan Pore playing for Carolina in D2 as his to be on the bench (if he dresses at all) for Portland in MLS.

Most of the good D2 players I've seen this year have fatal flaws that just can't be covered up at the next level.

There are always exceptions. Especially for the younger players. Kerry Zavagnin saved his career by dropping down from the MetroStars to Lehigh Valley - then was one of the last cut from the 2006 WC team. Brian Ching made it from D2 to the World Cup.

It does happen. But it's the rare exception, that is becoming rarer. What's more and more common are players like Chris Corcianni or Lance Watson or Jay Nolly washing out of MLS.

If you want to find D2 players who have a chance at the next level, age is a huge factor. The younger the better.

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just want to give a shout out to Former Battery midfielder Osvaldo Alonso, minus injuries he has been a regular on the Sounders for the last couple years.

Ezra Hendrickson also played with the Battery from 2003 and 2004 and then went back to MLS playing with DC, Chivas and ending his carear at Columbus

Johnny Wilson went from MLS to the Battery and then back to MLS with a respectible record.

There are a few others but like you said, it isnt easy. Age playes a big part but I would also say that a players nationality plays a big part too. most MLS teams arent going to give a foreign roster spot up to a relatively unknown D2 (or D3) guy.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-5-2? Fullbacks get no love :(

8. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he did sign a contract with Portland to be in the MLS, right? That's all I was asking, not if any of these guys were going to be MLS Best XI.

Also, nice to see the RailHawks' only all-league representative not get a second of playing time in the final :confused: