USOC Game 1 - RSL v LAFC. Tue, June 11, 8pm MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Jun 10, 2019.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 15 to 32, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Game 1 of... probably 1.
    Do we care? Does LAFC care? This seems the easiest of paths to a cup and yet every year the same excuses are trotted out. But the league! Won't anyone think of the league!

With the U23s training in Herriman, do we have access to the 4 players in camp with them? If not, things get pretty interesting lineup wise.

Rusnak Baird and Savarino are out. Anyone else? Assuming we don't have access to the U23 players, I'm not sure how to make a starting XI, let alone gameday 18, for this one. Should be a sight.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  2. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, but, but . . . the deepest team EVAR!?!

RSLer, goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I think it’s going to be a poorly played game and will skip it. Which is too bad because the weather looks to be perfect.

4. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan on watching the game just because I'm a RSL homer and "hope springs eternal" and other motivational BS. I'm also into slamming my fingers in doors again and again and again. I always root for the coyote and just think that the next time, he'll catch that roadrunner. I dream of being Charlie Brown and showing Lucy just how far I'll kick that football.

5. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to SiriusXM FC at lunch and the host was talking about tonight's Open Cup matches. He mentioned that Petke would not be coaching tonight due to not being able to get out of attending a class for his coaching certificate. I thought that was kind of strange and I couldn't find anything on-line that mentioned it, so I don't know where he got his information.

6. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017

FWIW Gio Savarese is taking the same class and I haven't seen anything about him missing the Timbers game.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is.... par for the course in so many ways

El-ahrairah, RSLer and irondeepbicycle repped this.
  8. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmation that RSL staff doesn't even put USOC games in their personal calendars.

BalanceUT, goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The course is only offered once per year. It requires the group to meet 3x for a week in a city designated by US Soccer. This year the city is KC. My guess is that the attending MLS and USL coaches would rather miss this round of the USOC instead of missing a league or later round USOC game.

10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The famous Catch 22 bite us in the ass again.

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like 8 starters for RSL. Looks like the “A” team for LAFC.

12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70 minutes in, no subs, no desire, no execution. Oh well just another RSL match.

15 to 32 and goobx1 repped this.
  13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s an impressive 39% possession rate by the home team.

georg repped this.
  14. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Also I don't really get why this license even exists. Only a handful of MLS coaches have it. Feels like US Soccer just felt obligated to have some sort of license cause UEFA has them.

15 to 32 repped this.
  15. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's getting easier and easier not to even watch. That may make me a bad fan on some level, but I don't feel bad at all. I'd much rather watch epic NBA final games, or Women's world cup. This team is just flawed and imbalanced.

RSLer, jessyca, BalanceUT and 1 other person repped this.
  16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Complete shit show tonight.

Toia was absolutely abused all night.
    Baird looked like crap. All. Night. Long.
    Kyle is done, done, done. He spends more time on the ground trying to slide tackle a late recovery because he just can’t keep up with the speed of play anymore.
    Silva didn’t score an own goal so that was nice.

Brody whipped in some pretty good crosses and one that should have been a goal but Johnson couldn’t get it on frame.

My neck is sore and my eyes hurt from rolling my eyes as toss my head back in disbelief at what I am watching.

I won’t say this team doesn’t have heart because that’s not fair. It’s worse. This team doesn’t have a clue. From the FO on down.

Real Salt Lake could write a book on how to successfully suck the life out of a fan base.

I don’t care that this was the just the US Open cup. Play like the game matters to you. I’m pissed.

17. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad tournament if our only loss came from the eventual tournament winners. Better than losing to the Minnesota Stars—and in a year when the team was reasonably competitive. At any rate, we’ve established that RSL will never win the Open Cup... or any other cup besides the Rocky Mountain one ever again.

goobx1 repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I took my son (3 years old) to this game because the kid eats hot dogs like they're the most important part of a balanced diet. He had a blast. Never seen a kid so happy to eat a boiled stick of "meat"
    2. The crowd for this one, at the anthem, was ridiculously small. It grew as the game wore on, but man nobody wants to come on time to games anymore. In fact, it has gotten worse and worse this year. Midweek doesn't help, sure, but wow.
    3. Oh, and LAFC traveled some great fans for this one. Or at least got a bunch of LA transplants to go have some fun with them. I was jealous. They looked like they were having a really fun time. With my seats position in the stadium I can do a comparison of our SG's to the travelling one's pretty easily. It was funny to be able to hear clearly the fans almost 4 times as far away compared to the ones right next to me. But hey, we got big drums!
    4. The game? I've gotta talk about the actual game? Man, ******** this game. I had mixed emotions about the starting lineup. There is zero schedule congestion right now so putting out starters was a logical decision. However, if this club isn't going to give the younger guys a chance at the Monarchs then this is their opportunity. Instead we've got KB and Nicky playing and... I don't really know.
    5. If I didn't know any better, I'd have said that it was cool the lower division side got to host a game in the tournament. We were so outclassed in every area of the game. LA wasn't even trying that hard and just simply dominated us.
    6. I'm really happy we shipped off Acosta to Siberia and brought in Donny Toia. With all that experience at getting ran past he doesn't have any real heart or desire to try and improve. This is the type of player we need, not a young guy trying to get better.
    7. Has Brody improved since he joined the team? He seems to be the same player. What exactly happens at the Monarchs with him? I can't bring myself to attend a Monarchs game because I'd likely get kicked out for yelling at the team/club officials. But really, he's the same player we saw... what, 3 years ago? WTF is happening?
    8. Marcelo Silva suuuuuuuucks. He didn't score an own goal but the dude suuuuuucks. Why did we keep him around again?
    9. Holt is young and makes young decisions as a CB. I'm willing to give him some time, if only he could, you know, actually play for a developmental side or something.
    10. KB should have got a red card in this game. I think the ref forgot that card was an option or something. And for all that is said about him being the "leader we need"... nah man. You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. KB is a liability and it's only getting worse. And whatever "leadership" or "intensity" he used to bring, he's now doing the opposite. This team never looked like it cared and he should be the one leading that way, if all those justifications to keep him around are true.
    11. Speaking of which, Rimando looked bad in this one. Vela's goal... it wasn't well hit, at all. Rimando literally jumped OVER the ball. Just wow. Then when Ramirez tried to chip him, what in the actual ******** is Nick doing? The second goal for LAFC (which good god was that bad from the center backs and center mids) he pulls a Tim Howard and jumps before Nguyen has even planted his foot to shoot. Then the third one... he makes a soft save and is punished for it.
    12. It would be easier for me to talk about who played well in this one because of how few players that would be. I liked a lot of what I saw from Schmitt. Not a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination, but he had our best chance that, if not for a hell of a save, would have somehow leveled the game... and that's it. Johnson is proving to be a slightly more talented Robbie Findley with how awful his touch is. Kreilach was on the field? Baird had moments of great runs and then moments of Baird touches. It was just bad
    13. One player I want to highlight is Everton. Since coming back from injury he has looked a half step slower and makes some really weird decisions on the ball. And off of it. How that scissor tackle that got him a yellow wasn't a red is beyond me. I guess we don't have VAR in the USOC? That was red all the way.
    14. Overall, what a fitting way for this team to bow out of the USOC. I don't care if LAFC wins, we would have lost to any team last night. RSL never looked dangerous or, more alarmingly, like they gave a ********. It looked like we interrupted their vacations, honestly.
    15. Oh, and the part of our coaching manual that says you cannot make a sub before the 60th minute and god forbid you use all 3 before the 80th - ******** that. I wanted a triple sub in this game from Juarez. That he not only didn't go more for it with subs, but then only brought on one kid and put in Onuhoa... I was lost for words.

19. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    15 excellent as always.

I kept thinking what the hell is Tigres going to do to this team?

It was painfully obvious that Blessings got under everyone’s skin last night and then played them for fools.

So right Kyle and Luiz should have been sent off. Wasn’t it Luiz that slapped Blessings when he was on the ground?

If you ask me Kyle and Nick are just mailing this one in this season. They have to know this team sucks from top to bottom.

I’m glad Petke is getting his license cuz he’s going to need it. No way he turns this team around.

I know they’ll go on a 2 or 3 game winning streak and everything will seem ok but Mike will screw with the lineup and bring them back to average or below.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    {Un-stickies the US Open Cup thread.}

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on Toia, but if anything, Acosta is buried deeper in Orlando than he ever was here. He went from starter to never in the 18 even with multiple games in a week and injuries galore, with a coach who believes in squad rotation. Something is definitely up with him.

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    being treated like shit by your hometown team and shipped off to Siberia will do that to you. I had really hoped he would find his way in Orlando, but that's a pretty massive ask of the kid.
    His recent shift to the Honduras national team speaks to a kid trying to find someone who appreciates him

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the second goal I was seriously cheering for Vela to do something cool and embarrass our backline. He didn't care at that point and was fine just passing and relaxing.

24. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I thought Everton's tackle deserved red, LAFC had probably 2 legitimate penalty shouts that weren't given, and KB probably deserved a second yellow at some point.

Was there a single player in our lineup that would have started for LAFC? Maybe Rimando would have started over Sisniega but Sisniega played the better game.

25. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was nice to see luke on the field... I'm really streching for silver linings. I so want to be done with this team... But I'm sure I'll be watching the next game...