Pre-match: USOC 100

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by -ATX-, May 16, 2013.

1. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice win in round 1 of the US Open Cup for the Aztex.
    http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/aztex-advance-to-second-round-of-us-open-cup/nXrTT/

Looking ahead at round 2, the Hammerheads are off to a tough start. They sit next to the bottom of the league in USLpro with only 3 points out of 6 matches. Not saying it will be easy for the Aztex but there is a outstanding chance for a competitive match and a possible win.

If the Aztex advance to round 3 they will be in Portland taking on the Timbers. Disappointed there is no home match for us but if you remember Cal FC's run in last years tournament, there is a chance.

2. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's comforting to hear about the Hammerheads' woes (no offense, Hammerheads fans.)

The Timbers are, of course, performing very well, so they'd be heavy favorites to beat either us or the Hammerheads, even more so than they otherwise would be. Still, getting to play them would be pretty great.

3. a.w.cotton

a.w.cotton New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The Hammerheads are off to a slow start, but they probably aren't as terrible as their score lines seem to show. I watched their game against the LA Blues, and even though they were beat soundly (4-0) they had a few decent chances. In that match they went down to ten men in within the first minute. Also, they look a little more stout than some of our players. That being said, if we can get the crowd behind our guy I see no reason why we can't beat them.

4. DrAnguish

DrAnguish Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are your Aztex looking after having so many guys drafted into the MLS? You guys were very impressive last year in the PDL playoffs (at least in the round of 16), is the team coming together well this year?

5. a.w.cotton

a.w.cotton New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We ended our preseason on a positive note, only losing one. We've also won our first two competitive games. The first game after going down a goal, and the second game we won (and kept a clean sheet) after going down to ten men in the first half.

Some people have observed that our attack isn't quite as potent, but it can be argued that the team is still gelling. Two of our favorite forwards from last season have returned, so we'll see how that carries on.

Also, it has been argued that we have a lot more quality in depth than we did last season. Our squad last year had about 13-14 high quality players and now our full 22 look the part.

6. DrAnguish

DrAnguish Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daggone man that's scary ADDING depth. I'm still stunned you guys didnt go to the final 4. Down in Ocala we were haunted by memories of Typack and Manneh (sorry if I misspelled those). I know Manneh got drafted so I can understand that that can't be an easy person to replace.

7. a.w.cotton

a.w.cotton New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, we're definitely a different side. Tyrpak and Jesus "Chuy" Cortes are still terrorizing the wings, but we also lost one of our key midfielders in Dillon Powers check out his goals with the Colorado Avalanche here and here.

The team is showing more maturity in these first few games, even after going down a goal they didn't hang their heads. Maybe we won't be outscoring teams like we did last hear ( 7-nils, 6-nils, and 5-nils), but fingers crossed we'll still win em'.

8. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Avalanche? :)

An understandable mistake. Along with the Chicago Fire and Chivas USA, the Rapids are certainly one of the most forgettable and identity-less teams in MLS. But it's been fun seeing Powers do so well there.

9. a.w.cotton

a.w.cotton New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah I realized the mistake an hour after I posted it, and I haven't had a chance to log on and change it. I guess their owner is too busy not winning trophies with his other team.

10. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additionally, just found out through the USL offices that Wilmington had travel problems yesterday (flight cancelled) and are currently in route to Austin for tonight's match.