News: USMNT vs Mexico | WCQ - the 2013 Edition...

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ThreeC, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojo Jambo

Mojo Jambo Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus the two State Trooper portable watch towers! I parked across from the woman grilling corn and chicken, after being passed all day by mounted and car troopers a bike trooper stops by and shuts her down for no license.

2. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was she selling he food? The Watch towers I understand, this is a international event and it was near 9/11.

Why does Ohio State Police need an armored vehicle.

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Back when Polaris hosted concerts they had an overweight state trooper drive around the parking lots in a golf cart making people empty their beers. The real reason of course was to make people go inside and buy beer at the concession stands but he threatened fines for open containers. I never figured out if his bluster was actually legal or not since the premises were licensed to sell beer, I was of age, and not operating a vehicle while tailgating. It didn't seem worth the trouble of going to Delaware municipal court to argue the matter. And that's what they count on.

The liquor enforcement people take the view that if there is a house party going on they can walk in without a warrant if anyone invites them (doesn't matter if the person is a resident or not).

There was an incident at UVA this spring where some co-eds bought bottled water that some plain clothes ABC agents thought was booze bought after hours. They charged with guns drawn terrifying the girls who drove off as fast as they could while calling the police. The girls ended up being charged with endangering an agent when it came out they didn't have anything alcoholic on them. The prosecutor dropped the charges amid public outrage.

We're getting into the territory of the WTF thread but a lot of agencies you wouldn't expect to have armed agents in fact to. Such as the Social Security administration, Government Printing Office, Department of Education, etc.

4. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the other day that 70 different federal agencies have SWAT team sections. A couple weeks ago the EPA conducted a full-scale SWAT assault someplace - Alaska or something - over some illegal dumping.

And every two-mule local police force has at least one armored vehicle now, plus a bunch of guys who like to strap on the body armor and play Delta Force when they discover someone someplace might be firing up a bong.

It's indeed getting way out of control.

On the plus side, Mookie asked the mounted cops to pose for him in the lot. He and his friend were both carrying cans of beer at the time. Not a problem.

(One of the State Police observation towers is in the rear right)

[​IMG]

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Wait, I was tailgating literally 40 feet from the one and only Bill Archer and didnt even know it? Well shit...

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you in the group where the young lady was wearing the stars and stripes tights?

Or the one with the obnoxious generator that sounded like a garbage compactor so that they could watch TV?

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    In Alaska it was a multi agency raid. Some people were gold mining near a stream and there were concerns about water quality. Large scale mining sometimes uses arsenic. Anyway in the old days the EPA would have sent out a guy with some test tubes to get samples of water and sediment from upstream and downstream of the mining. If the miners were polluting they'd get a cease and desist letter and probably be fined. This time the raid was conducted in order to obtain the water samples. In other words it's not yet known if there was even any law breaking going on.

My favorite unnecessary armed force is the library of Congress's. You'd think they could get by with the Capitol police but they have to have their own.

Props to officers on horseback for posing for your pic. Rep to first person to post picture of Bill. Bill, no fair posting picture of Clooney or Pitt and claiming that's you.

Virginian and Bill Archer repped this.
  9. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    The above is a perfect, textbook example of the why the Crew boards are the absolute best in the multiverse. Good damn, I love it. From the U.S. v. Mex WCQ thread no less...

10. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

11. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
  12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can sort of understand the watchtowers. It's a large crowd, you have no idea who might show up just to cause trouble, and they want to keep an eye on things. I'd rather have those things there and know I'm safer with them than without them.

A bike trooper shutting down someone grilling with no license? Gheez. SMH. That guy would have a field day at OSU or at any other Crew game.

13. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A small story of thanks at the pre-game. Went to Chipotle in Reynoldsburg before the game so I could eat in the lot before the gates opened. Forgot to get a fork. D'oh.

Group across from me gladly gave me one - big thanks, hard to eat a bowl of Chipotle without a fork. :D

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it's all that "post 9/11 world, we all need to watch out and be extra-super-vigilant, while practically doing a strip tease and getting the royal pat-down with the naked body scanners just to be able to fly on an airplane."

You know. Gotta be safe and all. :)

Land of the Free, right?

And I completely agree.

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    All that fine food in Columbus and you went to Chipotle? For shame.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta talk some pregame smack. :D

17. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know... But it's on the way to the stadium for me and it's a tasty meal. :)

What would you suggest?

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draghignazzo repped this.
  19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The local cops in Bloomsburg PA have some urban assault panzer or other and they hauled it out this Spring to help intimidate the kids from the college at their annual out-of-control street party.

It was on the street 15 minutes when some kid tossed a beer bottle at it. Unbelievably, the windshield shattered. Here's this $400,000 tank that can't withstand a Coors Light assault.

The police spent the rest of the weekend in a full court press trying to find whoever it was who broke their fancy toy.

Hilarious. Like giving Barney Fife Sherman tank.

20. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    My belly was filled with Tommy's pizza and a variety of foods from the North Market, Seventh Son beer and some sausages at the tailgate. (Scmidt's, Scmeichel's? help me out here.)

22. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schmidts.... sooo good

23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    There is a reason those restaurants he visits are failing. Chains aren't always that clean either.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't James Garner do that once???