USMNT v Canada viewing in Boston area?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by InnocentBystander, Dec 30, 2002.

1. InnocentBystander

InnocentBystander New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Boston
    Does anyone know of a bar/restaurant in the Boston area that's showing the Jan 18th match? I know it's only a 'meaningless' friendly, but I'd hate to miss it.

2. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    hope this helps.

Massachusetts
    Bad Abbots
    1546 Hancock Street
    Quincy, MA 02169
    Phone: +1(617)774-1434
    Specialties: live English Football, Scottish Football, plus Irish internationals, Fox Sports World, and many closed-circuit broadcasts. Check www.badabbots.com or call for schedule.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  4. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    will we be able to watch in on tv at home?

5. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    I am pretty sure its PPV

6. InnocentBystander

Jan 25, 2000
    Boston
    Thanks, Magpie. Let us know what you find out.

7. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "JAN. 18 MATCH V. CANADA AVAILABLE ON LIMITED PAY-PER-VIEW: Setanta Sports has contracted to broadcast the USA v. Canada friendly on Jan. 18 live on a pay-per-view basis. Currently fans can only order the match via DirecTV for $19.95. The USA's first match of 2003 kicks off at 7:30 p.m. ET from Lockhart Stadium in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Fans can also follow the action live online via ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker, presented by Philips Electronics."

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=25975&itype=

I don't know how this affects the ability of bars to show the game. Does anyone know?

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    The Overdraught believes they can get this match, and hopefully we'll know for sure in a day or two. The Riders are looking into this as well as viewings for other matches.

The Magpie

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Either of these places accessible by T??

Alex

10. InnocentBystander

Jan 25, 2000
    Boston
    Thanks for the update, Magpie. Let's hope the Overdraught comes thru....

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    The Midnight Riders, a New England Revolution independent supporters association, invite U.S. supporters to watch their national team take on Canada on Saturday, January 18, 2003 at The OverDraught Pub in Cambridge.

[​IMG]

The match will be broadcast LIVE at 7:30 PM EST from Fort Lauderdale's Lockhart Stadium. There is no cover and the Riders are picking up the cost of the Pay-Per-View telecast.

Revolution stars Taylor Twellman and Steve Ralston have been called into the U.S. National Team for the first training camp of 2003, and both could figure in the international friendly.

The OverDraught has also agreed to broadcast the upcoming friendly between the United States and Argentina on Saturday,February 8, 2003. The match will start at 12:00 Noon and will be broadcast LIVE on ESPN2.

Information on The OverDraught as well as directions may be obtained at:

http://www.midnightriders.com/OverDraught.htm

The OverDraught is a ten minute walk from the Lechmere stop on the Green Line, and is on the MBTA 69 bus line with the closet stop being 1/2 block away.

See everyone there!

The Magpie

12. InnocentBystander

Jan 25, 2000
    Boston
    Excellent!

We owe it to the OverDraught to drink some of their beer. I'll be there.

Magpie - Thanks for doing the work on this. You should post this on the Revs forum, if you haven't already.

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Already posted in the Revs forum, and the thanks go to Riders board member Joe LaValley for setting everything up; I'm just the messenger ;-)

Other plus about The OverDraught: cute waitresses.

The Magpie

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
  15. O-Maps

O-Maps New Member

Mar 13, 2002
    New Hampshire, USA
    No soccer despite promises

Well, I don't want to be too much of a complainer, since of course you folks who made these arrangements were well-intentioned, but I did two and a half hours driving from New Hampshire and back for nothing. Had trouble finding the Overdraught, was 7:50 when I got there. And what's on the big screen? Hockey! Some excuse given about how it would have cost them $2000 to show the pay-per-view at a commercial establishment. That's well and good, but sure wish someone had found out about that *before* promising to show the game.

And another bit of misrepresentation, they weren't letting people under 21 in. Almost brought my teenager along, there's a 2nd reason that I'm grateful I didn't.

I ain't ever going back there again.

16. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I also took an hour and 15-minute train ride from BC and a 15-minute walk to the pub in the freezing cold only to find out they weren't showing it. Not a complete loss, as I met up with my friend from Harvard, got a mean pizza at a Portuguese place further down Cambridge, and listened to the Villanova hoops game, but I ain't ever going back there again either.

They also carded me, altho it wasn't an issue as I wasn't about to go in anyway once I found out they weren't showing the game.

Who was the guy I directed to the T station?

Alex

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    When Riders representatives spoke with management from The OverDraught about the match they (the Riders) were assured they'd be able to carry it.

As has been indicated, the match viewing never took place because TheOverDraught did not have DirectTV and the Riders didn't check carefully enough.

That being said members of the Riders did their best to find an alternative venue, primarily a pub or bar that had either Direct TV or satellite access to Fox Sports World Canada (that was showing he game live.)

The Thristy Scholar, The Sports Depot, The Coolidge Corner Clubhouse, Roggies, and Bad Abbotts were all contacted with no success. The Thirsty Scholar could have shown the match, but snice their contract is a commercial one it would have cost them $2,000 to show it. Unfortunately, the Riders don't retain enough financial resources to cover that cost.

It's unfortunate, especially to those who drove in from places afar to catch this match. I also think it's unfortunate that fans had to jump through hoops for a match-viewing that should have been on regular Pay-Per-View.

That being said TheOverdraught will be showing the U.S. vs. Argentina match on ESPN2. I sicnerely hope that those people who made it out in the cold last night try to do so again: there was a good number of people despite the disappointment.

The venue has doe a great job of accomodating local soccer fans, and the Riders have done a good job of helping promote and host viewings there.

Thanks again and apologies to all.

The Magpie