News: USMNT: The Road to Russia

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that tackle was anywhere NEAR as bad as Twellman and the Brit were making it out to be. TT was screaming about how the keeper's foot was high and was showing studs, but there was one replay that clearly showed his foot was actually very close to the ground. It just wasn't THAT terrible.

Now, in a competitive match, the DOGSO red card starts to be a possibility, but in a friendly, there's much more value to both teams if it remains 11 v 11.

2. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree with you but would prefer the ref to call a friendly the same as a WC gm. Either it's red or it's not.

Was a late and sloppy challenge a poor decision and he probably learned a valuable lesson. I wouldn't want players from a mental standpoint to treat the gm different. So if it's yellow that's fine just be consistent with those types of fouls and everyone will adjust.

3. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Corona is younger and a good player but has never reached production levels that Higuain is hitting. So I doubt he would come be a back up and we can't afford to take a step back in quality.
    If and when we replace Higuain it needs to be a quality DP signing

4. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesnt Corona play a little deeper for Tijuana....not like a #10? Might explain a lack of productive stats but i dont follow him so i wouldnt know. If he gets plenty of playing time there it probably wouldnt be worth it to come here for him, and he would cost way more than hes worth to us probably.

5. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    An incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence...

6. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putin seems to be actively kicking Americans out of Russia. Will Americans be allowed to attend WC 2018? Also, when are they going to move WC 2018 (....and 2022)?

7. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US and Russia will probably get "randomly" placed in the same group.

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Certainly US tourists will be allowed to attend next year. Russia needs the money. If they were going to move the WC it would have been over the seizure of Crimea or attacks in eastern Ukraine, not over the campaign meddling or spy stuff.

Tobias C repped this.
  9. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Remember, the US (and/or Mexico) is likely to be the toughest team from it's group. This is why the US' group is almost guaranteed to be the group of death. If anything, they will be "randomly" placed in any group but home team Russia.

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Anthony Brooks was injured in a German Cup match with Wolfsburg and is out for at least three months.

11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [emoji853]
    We need him to anchor the center backs...

12. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You're current avatar and this post are like peanut butter and chocolate.

TKyle repped this.
  13. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really tough game against Costa Rica on Friday. If we can win, I think it almost guarantees that the US is going to the World Cup in Putinland.

14. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Putinland, World Cup plays *you*.

Draghignazzo and CrewV Man repped this.
  15. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #915 TKyle, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...l-world-cup-qualifiers-vs-costa-rica-honduras
    U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; WCQ Caps/Goals)
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 14/0), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids; 36/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (9): DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo; 34/6), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City; 11/1), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG; 22/2), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX; 15/0), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas; 0/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 0/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 5/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 3/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City; 18/3)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 4/0), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 3/1), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 9/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 35/7), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 16/1), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers; 7/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 9/5), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 0/0)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 38/16), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC; 39/18), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 3/0), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 10/4)
    Thought I'd post this here and see what it stirs up. (I'd rather read brief, reasonably intelligent Crew fan replies than pages and pages of dissertations as to why, say, how it is such a travesty Cameron Carter-Vickers, a future savior, was left off the roster.)
    My own question--why *Wondo*?!? Dom Dwyer didn't earn a spot at the Gold Cup?
    And why Rimando? Call in someone young who's got a potential future so they at least get some camp experience.

Tobias C repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    There's a lot I don't like about this roster. Acosta, Roldan and McCarty. One will likely be called upon and I am not sure if they are up to the task. Rimando, Beasley, Wondo and Bedoya are dinosaurs. Hedges is just plain awful. Hopefully, Bruce proves me wrong and we are six points richer next week.

17. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call Bedoya a dinosaur, but I have more faith in Acosta/Roldan/Dax than him. Dax is solid defensive midfield cover (I don't expect anyone to get excited about his inclusion in a team, but in his own unspectacular way he has a calming presence on the ball). Acosta is athletic if not refined. Roldan is all-around solid and has outshone Alonso in Seattle midfield this season.

Agreed on Hedges (I wouldn't say he's awful, but he isn't an international level center back) and the rest.

18. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember also he called in 26, which means 3 will go home. Hopefully those 3 (IMO) are Hedges, Roldan, and McCarty.
    I think Beasley is just cover, should Zusi get injured (I don't know why Zusi is playing an outside back at all--he doesn't have he speed I think we need.). I also think that maybe Beas brings some sort of "intangible" to camp, which is why Bruce keeps calling him in.

19. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Agree. Beasley here reminds me of Bruce taking an older Cobi Jones to the WC... a player that can be called upon to play a specific role in a game or to be a been-there-done-that calm headed substitute should something happen to the starter.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  20. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially since Chicago play Montreal on Sat. I think Mtl has the least chance of catching us for the playoffs. If one of those two teams win, I think a chicago win helps more.

21. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I prefer a draw between the 2

22. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I didn't get to see the gm was it as bad as the result ?

23. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Gulati out! That game should've been in Utah. Almost as embarrassing as the performance on the pitch.

24. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Tim Ream and Geoff Cameron were terrible. The space allowed on the first goal was high school league. Are these really the best two we have?
    2. Should have been a PK for us in the first half on the foul on Altidore by Watson.
    3. Pulisic needs to finish for us like he does for Dortmund.
    4. Why this game is played isn't played in KC, columbus, Nashville or elsewhere is ridiculous. Crowd had to have been 60% USA

TKyle repped this.
  25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ref was terrible