News: USMNT: The Road to Russia

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too error prone for national team.

foozer and Aaron d repped this.
  2. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Horvath who might be the best of all of them? Hamid is going to be a good MLS keeper and nothing more. Think he is living off his potential label from a few years ago

3. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been that impressed with Hamid. Good MLS keeper, but I don't think he'll reach NT level aside from second choice when we call in a B team when we have double tournaments.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a Hamid fan but there is no way he is worse than Guzan. I watched Guzan get 4 scored on him through the 5 hole against Chelsea. Dude shouldn't even be carrying our NT's luggage.

5. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never bought into the Guzan hype either. He's never done anything that makes me trust him as our #1. I'd prefer Rimando with all his shortness over Guzan. Honestly, Guzan's best asset is his height. Aside from that, I don't see what he brings that other keepers don't.

Lookingforleftbacks and stanger repped this.
  6. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, Guzan is 32. He's got more miles behind him than in front of him. Yeah, keepers have longer careers, but he's not a long term solution.

7. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Keepers usually reach their peak later than outfield players. Can anyone see Guzman reaching his peak before he hits 50?

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, this team isn't a long-term solution. This is Dempsey's last WC, and I'm skeptical he should even be on the starting eleven. Bradley is 29; Zusi, Bedoya, and Besler are 30. Beasley is 969. Of our "good" youngster group, only Nagbe (26), Arriola (22), and Pulisic (18) are going to be around for Qatar/Saudi Arabia/England 2022 in any real fighting shape. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but even Arena doesn't seem like he's going to stick around after Russia.

9. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    C.S. Andrew King did an Ask Me Anything with our friends over on Reddit a few days ago where he posits that our very own GGG could take over the reins from Bruce :eek::rolleyes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheMassive...porter_andrew_king_i_cover_crew_sc_and_other/

American Brummie repped this.
  10. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Yedlin belongs here.

12. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The closer you get to a World Cup, the less chance you have to give young guys time. It's normal for your squad to be a little older than it ideally would be.

This is possibly/probably the last WC for a few penciled-in starters: Howard, Bradley, Johnson, and Cameron.

This is the last WC for a few guys (and not all of them will even make the roster): Besler, Zusi, Bedoya, McCarty, Beasley, Ream, and Dempsey.

There are still lots of guys who will contribute in both 2018 and 2022: Miazga (21), Pulisic (18), Acosta (21), Arriola (22), Morris (22), Brooks (24), Yedlin (23), and Lletget (24).

And there are plenty of young, fringe players who can easily land a place by 2022: Gooch (21), Green (22), Rubin (21), Carter-Vickers (19), Zimmerman (24), Horvath (22), Steffen (21), Roldan (22), Hyndman (21), Adams (18), Glad (19).

TRUJDUB and Draghignazzo repped this.
  13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is johnson penciled in over pulisic and nagbe? Johnson hasn't been good for a long time.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  14. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally depends on the formation. Right now I'd expect all 3 to start. Nagbe and Johnson both haven't done much in the attacking third lately, so I could see neither of them starting as well.

15. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'd rather be playing a bunch of the kids who will be 21 in 2022 over a lot of these players. Players who are 15-18 now so they will be 20-23 in 2022 and 24-27 in their second World Cup in 2026.

I like the idea of focusing on actually winning a World Cup in the future instead of just throwing out whatever 26-30 year old is the more polished player every cycle.

16. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And Bobby Wood.

TRUJDUB and kgilbert78 repped this.
  17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Ex-squeeze me?

18. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his last 10 appearances (5 starts, 5 off the bench) with the USMNT, Darlington Nagbe has zero goals and zero assists in 507 minutes. 1 goal and 1 assist in 17 appearances with the national team (5 starts, 730 total minutes).

I like Nagbe. There is no denying that he is a good player. But he has never been productive. If he wants a regular place with the national team, he needs to produce more than he has. Arriola has 2 goals in 5 appearances (2 starts, 206 minutes). Johnson has 2 assists in his last 5 appearances at left mid (5 starts, 371 minutes).

19. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of feel like I'm rare this way, but I believe there's more to being a good player than just scoring goals and getting assists.

Btw Arriola scored his goals in a 4-0 win against TNT and a 3-1 win against Puerto Rico. I believe any goals scored against minnows deserve context

20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe's not supposed to be the productive one when Pulisic and Dempsey and Wood are on the field. He's done damn well in making space for them and making plays.

TRUJDUB, Draghignazzo, Timon19 and 3 others repped this.
  21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the nagbe is overrated camp, but his willingness to run at defenders and penetrate with the US is second only to pulisic right now. Nagbe has been good for the US. I can't think of another winger thats been better except for pulisic. Johnson has fallen off a cliff.

Timon19 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  22. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I hope so. There's nothing special about Hamid.

23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say Hamid is capable of making some fantastic reaction saves, and having games where he is just simply unbeatable. His problem is that he mixes in games where is doesn't even look USL level, or makes absolutely unbelievable errors. And, I mean, isn't he like 26 or something? I know someone will come at me with the whole 'keepers mature later' cliche, but 26 is old enough, he's been a starter for 7 seasons now. This is who he is.

I'm much more excited and impressed by Jesse Gonzalez, who is better than Hamid was at the same age. Him switching to the US from Mexico is huge. If he stays in MLS (he did just sign an extension) he should be the #1 in Dallas. I thought he should have been last year honestly. He makes great reactions saves, but he seems much more composed and steady than Hamid.

For me, if I had to choose guys for the World Cup today, I'd go:
    1) Howard
    2) Guzan
    3) Robles

My top replacements for these guys above (all over 30) would be:
    1) Gonzalez
    2) Hamid
    3) Steffen
    4) Horvath

Hamid #2 just for now since he has more club experience. After a year or two, he starts dropping though.

24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I would recommend that everyone goes to Azteca for a Mexico v USA qualifier.

Magnificent stadium.

Will say this - The USA fans make the Nordecke seemed organised.

Also - Mexico fans? Pah. Notts County away is more intimidating. Take all their queues from the scoreboard. Shouting "Mexico. Mexico" is not scary.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jersey for the 2017 gold cup. I'm not a fan, but seem to be in the minority from the little bit of fan reaction I've seen. Thoughts? Screenshot_20170618-191113.png