USMNT: The Post-Mortem Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look what he did for Liechester.

coachchris and Boandlkramer repped this.
  2. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to youtube and look up Ted Lasso, he did commercials on Fox Soccer Channel. They're great!

CybrSlydr repped this.
  3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how Chivas USA gets chalked up to trying to do things in a more traditional American way.

I'll give you shootouts. That was because the league thought the American audience wouldn't want to see ties. But i'm not sure anything else you mentioned is trying to do things an American way.

Not sure about Trillium Cup, do European teams not have similar things? Only place I'm aware of such things is college football, but it woulnd't shock me if there was something like that elsewhere.

Also, not sure how having two LA or two NYC teams is an "American" thing either. There are lot's of cities around the world with multiple teams. If anything, I think the attempt to create intra-city "Derbies" was an attempt to be more European.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann Jr. is also overseas with Hertha Berlin and he is a US U-18 and U-20 player. He's not starting, of course and is currently the no. 3 keeper (and was out injured at the start of the season). But he's only 20. He has played a couple of games in the 4th division for Hertha's B side.

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Chivas USA was an embarrassment of pandering not a soccer team. Everything about them was corporate bullshit.

What the hell is a MetroStar? Who thought those jerseys in 96 were a good idea?

Euro teams have a few things like Trillium Cup but mostly it's just rivals. Huddersfield won promotion but I didn't see the FA declare they were rivals with West Ham and create a Crooked Teeth Cup.

The attempt to create these false derbies is ridiculous as well. No need to expand into the same city when you have plenty of suitors.

If there were sixty teams, MLS and Co couldn't threaten to move franchises.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In one respect, this thread doesn't matter much. We are unlikely to ever see the US Men here in Columbus again.

7. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand the thinking that doing it differently from other countries is inherently bad.
    So true but too soon man. One bullet to the chest at a time.

chr1st repped this.
  8. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not sure how any of those things are trying to do them an American way?

Don't make me look up all the godawful jerseys from other countries around that time again.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's that sports are a business from the top down only. The idea that suits always know more than fans.

10. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    American Brummie repped this.
  11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true.

There are cities that are not MLS markets that get games. Columbus will still get an occasional friendly. At least, until they put one here that no one attends.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And those cities all now have better and bigger stadiums too. It was the support and the chance to control the crowd in qualifiers that made Columbus special. By the time where that's needed in the next cycle, I doubt Crew Stadium will still be standing or even in a condition to host a game. They will probably do tractor pulls there.

Without MLS, there's little reason for US Soccer to come here--except nostalgia. And nostalgia doesn't pay many bills. We know US soccer goes for money grabs--look at the women's tour when they should have been preparing younger players for the World Cup.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kgilbert said. We lose the Crew, we'll never get another USMNT game here... unless this gut-wrenching saga eventually leads to a new expansion franchise here, with new owners and a new stadium.

Which I can't see happening.

Even if we do somehow manage to retain the Crew, with new ownership and a new stadium, we'd still be in the second rung of potential host cities. The home loss to Mexico decided that nearly a year ago. I could see us getting the occasional game, but not one of the biggies.

Though considering the state of the program, the list of CONCACAF teams that are now seen as serious threats to us at home is a lot longer than it used to be.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take the occasional game, frankly. Assuming I don't give up on US Soccer altogether. As I felt like saying to Mrs. KG: "We'll always have Gladbach".;)

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

As fun as US-Mexico was (and it was absolutely amazing... until last year), I'd be thrilled to get some other matches that wouldn't require navigating the sort of Byzantine ticketing process that always came along with US-Mexico.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't go to the last one because I did not have a smart phone--and US Soccer did not care--and never replied to repeated e-mails. However I was at a wedding in San Diego that day, so I think I got the better of the deal.

And I'll always have meeting Kasey Keller and talking with him 1:1 before the Guatemala game....

17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen has to be in contention for the starting keeper spot after tonight. Holy hell.

Tobias C, stanger and TKyle repped this.
  18. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #118 THOMA GOL, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Jozy reacting to the jeers in ATL I see. Won't be the last time.

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Completely forgot to stop by and mention the youth isn't looking too clever either.

20. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #120 TKyle, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    This seems like a necropost now, but....
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...rs-for-friendly-against-third-ranked-portugal

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Jesse Gonzalez (FC Dallas; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland/DEN; 3/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 1/0)

DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 32/3), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Sheffield United/ENG; 0/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 13/1), Matt Miazga (Vitesse/NED; 3/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 26/1), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 14/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 48/0)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 16/1), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 0/0), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 65/2), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland/ENG; 2/0), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 0/0), Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution; 3/1), Danny Williams (Huddersfield Town/ENG; 22/2)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution; 26/3), Dom Dwyer (Orlando City SC; 3/2), C.J. Sapong (Philadelphia Union; 2/0), Josh Sargent (St. Louis Scott Gallagher; 0/0)

Good to see new blood. I would expect Horvath to get the nod in goal.

Surprised to see Ream (30) and Villafana and Lichaj (both 28) as well as Bedoya (30). Wood and Morris are injured, so I can overlook the striker selection; I doubt Sapong is anything but filler.

Danny Williams is a bit of a head scratcher.

"U.S. Men’s National Team acting head coach Dave Sarachan..."
    This made me laugh--he's only acting like a head coach! Or he is the coach of their acting/theatrics!

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another guy I'd like to see is Caleb Stanko, age 24--he just got his first Bundeslga start for SC Freiburg. We may as well look at a lot of guys.

TKyle repped this.
  22. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and one more thing...
    Why are we only playing Portugal on the 14th? Why are we not playing another friendly on the 10th or so?
    We need to be playing games--lots of games. We have to bloody the new blood and get them as much playing time as possible. Why not take full advantage of the international window and schedule a second match? We'll already be in Europe where there are LOTS of good countries who have already qualified or just missed the final 4 home-and-homes.
    I don't get it.

23. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you thought the aim of the USSF was to make soccer better in the USA, I think you are mistaken. The aim of the USSF is to make MONEY off of soccer in the USA. Those countries don't want to come here right now, so there's not much at stake in that mindset.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he said we should play another match in Europe--while we are there.

MLSinCleveland and TKyle repped this.
  25. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a game scheduled against Wales, but the Welsh federation backed out and we couldn't find a replacement.