USMNT: The Post-Mortem Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    [​IMG]

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    And this is why rep was created.

Robbo Crewfan and Bill Archer repped this.
  3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnt come here for that awesome pic, but jeez, I wish I could do that shit.

Anyway, I didn't know where this should go so:

The USSF has nominated five guys for US Soccer Player of the Year.

Two of them play for Columbus.

(Adams, Miazga and McKennie are the others. Yawn.)

Terrific honor for Steffen and Trapp, but also for the team.

And probably doesnt hurt Berhalter much either.

4. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the US player who had the best season at the club level for us didn't even get nominated.

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    From red headed stepchild to winning awards. It's amazing what a rich backer will do for you.

6. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd be hard pressed to pick Zardes' or Steffen's season as better than the other, but either way both seasons were miles better than Trapp's, who who had a solid but not great season, so your overall point still stands.

Robbo Crewfan and hangthadj repped this.
  7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had this conversation with my daughter, who until recently played d-mid.
    It’s a thankless position, unlikely to get you any accolades.

Trapp has a phenomenal season this year, the evidence is we made the second round of the playoffs.

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were only five teams in the league that conceded fewer goals than Columbus this season. Wil Trapp absolutely played a part in that.

Problem is, when you have great goalkeeping, much improved play from your back line, and a system that nets you better numbers in time of possession, it’s hard to assign credit to any one person. And since defensive players tend to get noticed less and less when things are going well, it’s easy for a non-flashy guy to be overlooked.

Robbo Crewfan and stanger repped this.
  9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You seem like a good father, James. But, for your daughter's sake I hope she looks for higher standards of evidence before declares a performance phenomenal....

10. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy Thanksgiving Scot. Try to not be an ass for a few hours.

hangthadj repped this.
  11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To you and. yours as well, James! I'm thankful to have several more years of Columbus Crew greatness, Columbus Crew disappointments, Columbus Crew mediocrity, and everything in between to share with you.

We truly live in a time of abundance. And I will not take it for granted. #Blessed

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But oh, so important.....

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Welcome Ggggggggggggggggggg. An unusually long process but it's much better than Sarachan.

14. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greggs club career has been Ok but certainly worthy of criticism. Is he any less qualified though than, say, Gareth Southgate who relegated an original Prmeier league club but then took his national team to the semi finals? Why not be optimistic?

15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surly somewhere someone had done some analysis of club success and how translates to a National Team. It's totally different ball game. Low in Germany is a good example of another coach with little real club success that was better suited for a National Team. I don't know if that means Gregg will be a better National Team Coach but not sure how much we should read into his club career.

The most interesting thing will be if he is going to continue the same playing style. That would be my biggest concern. You don't get the players for nearly as long to train on a system. The repetitive training and movement needed to play what Berhalter wants is really high. On top of that you need outside backs capable of playing a specific style. With the Crew he could go find that player but at the NT level its whoever you got. To me, that is the real question about him becoming the coach.

djtrinidad, Tobias C and Draghignazzo repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's difficult to use SUM/MLS/USSF and optimism in the same sentence. The Crew and USMNT have been a shit show for over a year and the fact they waited so long to hire such an unambitious choice means the fans have watched a wasted year. I'm cautiously hopeful but soccer house has given me little reason to be optimistic or trustworthy.

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Strange because I see the opposite. Having a system will make things easier as everyone knows what's expected. Please remember, our top players are playing far more complex systems on a weekly basis.

What concerns me is Ggg coaching seems more professional than passionate. We lacked a killer instinct too often, went into shut down mode after a one goal lead and would possess for possession's sake as opposed to actually putting the ball into the net. He has also stuck with players in poor form for way too long.

This is a titanic step up from Sarachan and for the first time since Trinidad, I'm looking forward to seeing the USMNT play.

18. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valid point but your asking Yedlin who plays a specific style 90% of the time to jump into games with a few days of training and build a level of comfort with teammates that ask him to do very specific movements. To your point, in time that could make things easier but until you settle on a grouping the short term seems difficult.

I will say we will see a cohesive plan of playing for the first time in a REALLY long time. Everyone praised Sarachan because he was in a tough "spot" but every game was a different idea from him. Gregg is known for the details and at the National Team level when you have a long time to prepare for opponents he should be even better in that sense

19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg has the ability to pick the players that suit him every cycle. If you don’t fit the system you don’t get picked.