USMNT: The Post-Mortem Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think i heard a couple months back that Pulisic made the most tackles / ball recoveries in the attacking third in the bundesliga last year.

2. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eat shit

Attached Files:

3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quality pressing, sure. He made a tackle and it deflected over the goalies head and into the net. Would have preferred a 35 years banger.

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Are you ********ing serious with this shit?

5. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, goal is a goal sure. However, it’s not like he showed some amazing skills to score.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So what? Not everyone is Zlatan. I actually like this sort of goal better in the context of a young US player. CONCACAF is about grinding it out and making your luck. The pressure and timing exhibited there actually is more satisfying.

TrueCrew repped this.
  7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Bradley’s shit defense just let a goal in vs. Tigres.

He has totally lost his ability to play. I wouldn’t let him coach my daughter.

8. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like Michael BADley, right?! Because he is BAD at soccer!

puttputtfc repped this.
  9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I find interesting the conflicting reports on whether Oscar Pareja has interviewed for the USMNT, and the fan reaction and feeback on whether he is a good fit.

From 2014 - 2017 Oscar Pareja averaged 55 points per season with Dallas. He won a Supporters Shield and an Open Cup.

From 2014 - 2017 Gregg Berhalter has averaged 48.75 points per season with Columbus Crew. He has never had a 55 point season. He hasn't won jack shit. His team currently sits 6 points behind Pareja's in 2018.

I guess what I am saying is that Oscar Pareja is a better and more accomplished coach than Berhalter and maybe Gregg isn't a shoe-in for the USMNT job.

Salacious Bum repped this.
  10. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally haven’t thought Ggg is a “shoe-in;” I keep hearing he’s a leading contender.
    I’m concerned that as NT coach, he’ll be fitting a square peg in a round hole, trying to force his formation into the program where he doesn’t have the tools and against opponents where it won’t work.
    Trophies aside, if Pareja can select talent, challenge and mold that talent, and adjust tactics to exploit opponents, then I’m ok with him.
    Question is, of course: who can do that best?

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NT is a different game from club soccer. Löw wasn't a huge hit as a club coach, for example. So it's hard to predict.

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Sweat, who couldn't get a game for Cbus, just got called up to the national team :eek:

Guzan and Bradley are back as well. Cbus repped by Trapp and Steffen again.

Pos. Player Club
    GK / Brad Guzan / Atlanta United
    GK / Ethan Horvath / Club Brugge
    GK / Zack Steffen / Columbus Crew SC
    D / John Brooks / Wolfsburg
    D / Reggie Cannon / FC Dallas
    D / Cameron Carter-Vickers / Swansea City
    D / Aaron Long / NY Red Bulls
    D / Matt Miazga / Nantes
    D / Antonee Robinson / Wigan Athletic
    D / Ben Sweat / NYCFC
    D / DeAndre Yedlin / Newcastle United
    M / Kellyn Acosta / Colorado Rapids
    M / Tyler Adams / NY Red Bulls
    M / Jonathan Amon / Nordsjælland
    M / Michael Bradley / Toronto FC
    M / Julian Green / Greuther Fürth
    M / Weston McKennie / Schalke
    M / Christian Pulisic / Borussia Dortmund
    M / Kenny Saief / Anderlecht
    M / Wil Trapp / Columbus Crew SC
    M / Tim Weah / Paris Saint-Germain
    F Andrija Novakovich Fotuna Sittard
    F / Josh Sargent / Werder Bremen
    F / Bobby Wood / Hannover 96

Draghignazzo repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly a non-MLS lineup. But no one's missing any club games due to the international break.

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    What's the point of this? It's bad enough we are disturbing players for useless games by a third rate coaching staff but bringing in Bradley? That's a PSV sized kick in the balls to the fans.

chr1st and stanger repped this.
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    At what point will you be okay with games for the US? Yeah, Bradley is a terrible idea, but is there ever a point where you are cool with the team playing?

I saw there was a new post in this thread, and I immediately started thinking about how you'd whine about it. You're predictable.

KCbus and TKyle repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Immediately? I feel loved and important. Thanks, Timon.

I'll feel much, much better when we have a coach in place. Sarachan is college level at best and we learn nothing from him being in charge. I'll feel better when certain players past their prime are set out to pasture. I'll feel better when we aren't wasting our players time and realize some are better off with their club at this moment. I'll feel better when the team has some purpose or direction instead of being on TV for the sake of being on TV. Good enough for you?

chr1st repped this.
  17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaining experience playing for the US, even just the extra travel and workload of being an international player, is still important. A lot of these will still be called in when we have a new coach. Not a total waste, that's nonsense.

TKyle repped this.
  18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I don't think the experience is as important as you do. We tend to overvalue NT experience and think of it as some high pressure situation that cannot be replicated. Tomorrow, Wigan-Swansea will feature two players we called up both knowing PL promotion may be a possibility. Far more pressure and better experience than Peru B team and being led by an Arena tactics disciple. I think most of the roster is better left alone right now whether it's playoffs or keeping yourself sharp in a foreign league. I also see they called up Nova again after benching him the last time. That was a dick move by Sarachan.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So just disband the team until Earnie Stewart can lure someone away from whatever job they currently have?

20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I don't know about disband but keep in mind what the priorities should be. Let's break this roster into group A) players that can use this camp B) players that should never wear the jersey again and C) players that should focus on club duty. A has Acosta. B has Guzan and Bradley. C has everybody else. The risk/reward just isn't there and Sarachan will be hopefully relieved soon. It's bad timing right now for a number of reasons.

Having an actual coach would raise the value. I am also a huge fan of Camp Cupcake because the coach can look at a large number of players without disturbing clubs. But we need a coach and anything until then is a distraction at best. After all that, yes I will probably watch.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, Peru & Colombia both called strong squads. A couple players missing, but B+/A- for sure.

Both teams are better than we are.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that the games are during the international break. May as well take advantage of it.

TKyle repped this.
  23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Just saw the rosters. Better than I expected.

I fail to see Sarachan coaching as an advantage in any way. Let the players rest.

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't you do the world a favor and pull your lip up over your head and swallow?

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Wow, you banned Placid for less than this.