USMNT: The Post-Mortem Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he sucks in a two striker formation as well. [emoji106]

2. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sorry, too late now, but the sound track from 'Les Mis' would have been fitting.

chr1st repped this.
  3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’m old enough to remember when Crew fans wanted to keep Steve Clark around and have Steffen sit the bench behind him.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Mods--how about a new thread for the Nats. This thread is now

[​IMG]

5. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    No. Until we get a new permanent coach or the calendar flips over to 2019, this thread still works.

Kyle Crew and chr1st repped this.
  6. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 2015 I don't remember any credible Crew fan wanting to keep Clark in any capacity.

I wonder which part of this you will disparage.

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of those goals are with LD/Clint drawing the attention and spoon feeding him. Or against Haiti. Jozy did not do squat in the Hex. He loafs. He is oft injured. And prone to red card stupidity.

We should search for other options. If we cannot find any we can circle back to him (or Bradley, Cameron, & Guzan) later. But they are all in the 'break glass in case of emergency' category now.

chr1st repped this.
  8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    With all due respect, James, you haven’t shown to have the greatest reading comprehension or memory.

But, I do agree with you on one item...most Crew fans lack any credibility. On this, Crew legend Andres Mendoza was right.

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say I am not thrilled with the minutes Trapp & Zardes played..

We may need to see Rico some in the next 10 days. Ditto Mullins. Rest Pipa on the turf.

10. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #660 Jaybir, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Even though the USMNT has always been what it has always been, I was hopeful for many years - because I felt we were progressing. I haven’t had that feeling of optimism now for a few years. We simply don’t have enough players with exceptional quality of foot - to beat people one on one, hold the ball indefinately and create space. We’ve always been strong and fast with great Keeping. But this is where I believe we have stalled.

The reason GGG makes sense for the Natty coach is that he brings a system, an angle - that crestes chances when talent is less than elite.

I’m just not sure that a Natty team can pick that up effectively, as seldom as they play together as a team.

11. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the past few years have been dire, I think there is hope yet. We've got a good crop of young players playing for/drawing interest from big European clubs. MLS teams are doing a better job overall of putting serious consideration and resources into developing players. You're also seeing more and more MLS clubs take a chance on younger guys and give them PT. And I think we've got a competent guy with a vision for the future in Earnie Stewart at the GM spot for the USMNT.

That being said, you're dead right about player quality; we've got to figure out how to develop more creative players and offensive-minded guys. It's great that we have a ton of goalies and defenders and DMs and CMs to choose from, but outside of Pulisic, we're seriously lacking creative punch. We also need the coaching situation to be resolved. I understand why they may wait until the end of the season if it's going to be an MLS guy, but it's not a great look. Gotta get this thing sorted and start building for the next cycle, like, yesterday.

Minnman and Jaybir repped this.
  12. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best player in most position depends on how the US want to play right now. Without world beating talent the system is going to determine the best fit. And I am hoping we can get to the point were team chemistry comes into play.
    I think the only locks right now are
    Miazga and Brooks - CB pair
    Pulisic - Wing Mid
    And that is it.

Very close to locks, Adams, Steffen.
    I personally like Antonee Robinson on the left. He is young but gets better and better with every touch.

As for Jozy, he might be the best forward we have right now which is really sad. Painfully sad. There might be others close but think about it how long it has been since the US had a good forward?

chr1st repped this.
  13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hang is thinking of Stuver.

stanger repped this.
  14. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we could reasonably add Steffen to the lock list. Guzan's time is done. Horvath, Bono, and Cropper aren't starting for their clubs. González isn't as good. Install him as the #1 and let him establish himself.

I think Adams is versatile enough to play just about anywhere in the middle of the park and brings a ton of skill and energy, so I'd give him a starting nod, too.

After that, yeah, we don't have any "have to be on the field" guys.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Robinson was a colossal upgrade over Licjaijfjsidje on the left, and really Lic...Eric isn't all that bad, but he's kind of on the old side as it is, and fringey.

16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, I'd add Yedlin at right back.

TKyle repped this.
  17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nah. People wished to keep Clark after 2016 as well. And people definitely wished to keep him after 2015. @ZipSix and I were virtually the only ones who demanded him gone after 2015.

The Stuver idiots were another example of the idiotic sentimentality of Crew fans which hold the club back from ever being a serious team.

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    "But coach Andrulis is such a good man!"

19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I beg your pardon.

stanger and TomB repped this.
  20. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robinson had a bad game vs Brazil, but IMO bounced back vs MEX. Resiliency in a young player is good to see.
    The Talking Head commentators Fri and Tue kept talking about Guzan getting back in the mix.
    No thanks. The spot is BMF’s to lose.
    Yedlin, Miazga, and Brooks are locks for me.
    The midfield is more open to debate. What’s the word on McKennie’s injury?
    As much as I want to move on from Jozy, we may need him for the Gold Cup if nobody else can step in. I think we should look to the youth for these next 4 friendlies, and call him in for Camp Cupcake next Jan.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  21. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember this being the case for most Crew fans. The day we signed him I was ready for him to start. I am nerdy enough to follow youth careers to know he was going to be as top keeper even after coming home from Germany

stanger repped this.
  22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been the argument I have been making

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Robinson can continue to improve he is our left back for the present and future. Sadly, what other real options do we have.

Who knows what a new coach will see but here is what I have as locks.
    Miazga
    Brooks
    Yedlin
    Steffen
    Adams
    Pulisic

After that you look at a group of McKinnie, Robinson, Jozy, Wood.

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    No. No locks. We have this habit of elevating people and holding on to them whether they deserve it or not. I don't want anyone to be a lock, including BMF.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky for everyone I am not the coach and can’t actually “lock” a player into their spot.