USMNT: The Post-Mortem Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    I guess Russia has a similar problem - their league pays well enough, so Russian players are not keen to leave, and challenge themselves, let's say in BL or Italy, as Russian clubs are able to pay them the same or maybe even more. However, they do not get better, and as such Russia's team remained stagnant for years. They are for hard time next summer...

How much Altidore makes in MLS - 6 mil? He would not get 50% of that in Europe, where competition is much greater, but if he stayed there, maybe he would have been able to improve...

2. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    After further contemplation over the past few days, I have come to this conclusion:

We deserve butter.

Next summer, we need to book ourselves against some good teams as one of their WC tune-up matches. Start throwing the kids to the wolves and see who fights back.

TRUJDUB and stanger repped this.
  3. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done.
    [​IMG]
    Now, hand us the World Cup trophy.

4. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We, the fans, do. The players do not.

5. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I will not rest until we see the Jules Rimet trophy rendered in butter at the Ohio State Fair.

Timon19 repped this.
  6. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you are saying but there is also a very important cultural aspect to Russians (and other cultures but Russia is the example here). The players do not acclimate well to Western European clubs or the Western European clubs have not done a good job acclimating to them. Language is a huge part of this. If you are a Spanish speaker, there are tons of players on other teams that will speak Spanish. Same with German, English, French or Portuguese. I remember reading about how Italian players did not like leaving Italy anymore because they had to speak another language. Knowing Russians they probably they hate having to learn another language even more than Americans.
    Language has been a huge reason you see Americans and in England, Hispanics in Spain, Brazilians in Portugal. And probably why you see so many Ghanaian, Jamaicans and Trinidadians in the MLS.

TKyle repped this.
  7. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It sucks that as a Jets fan, I know exactly which game you mean. BTW, Hogan looked so much better than DK. Its obviously far too early to make any judgements on DK, but it can't be a bad thing that Hogan looked so good. Your defense looked pretty damn good as well. If either of your QB's can be at least average consistently the Browns will do pretty well.

8. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official- Bruce is out

9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let alone the ridiculousness of not getting replays ofnthe games!!!

Last 4 United matches haven't had replays up on their app. All the other games, including that bullshit gold paywall, were up.

********ing infuriating. Bro works Sat/Sun morning so we have to find the computer version of AIDS for a stream to watch when he comes home. Wasn't a problem last year and I can't get a ********ing answer from NBC as to word is going on.

10. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took a couple days longer than I expected. Now Sunil.

They're talking Tab Ramos as the interim, that feels pretty interim. I could like a player from the dark old days, one who can light a fire under the new kids, not sure if that former player exists. Is Reyna coaching? I didn't really care for him until I met him (doing interviews), that guy had charisma.

11. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the guy who was named Worst Premier League Striker Of All Time?

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I've heard that a few times and have to wonder how that was determined.

13. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also this just in...
    Water is wet.

14. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine Tab would definitely be interim until the new president of USSF can pick his own man.
    At least Tab has had some success with the U20's, and he's coached a lot of the up and comers.
    My concern with Tab is: will he have his own built-in favorites or "pets" like so many coaches do.
    Probably won't matter that much if he's only around until after Camp Cupcake.

15. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not a single one of those “new millionaire” guys who came back from Europe improved their game. Not a single one. Guys like Frankie aren’t a dying breed, they are a dead breed. I don’t know if this embarrassment will light a fire under the young guys but throwing millions of dollars at these underpreformers over their worth on the world market has definitely hurt American soccer.

16. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that real?
    He did suck at Hull City.

17. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    So he was like the rest of Hull City during that time...

18. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    What a f'n douchemahoggan.

thenewXB and TRUJDUB repped this.
  19. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I thought JK did not deserve to be fired that it was more on the players . I'm fine of getting rid of JK had we replaced him with someone better.
    Wondo missing that tap in vrs Germany still bothers me. I can't stand Wondo and always thought he was garbage. We certainly need to go to a youth movement and play the best opponents possible and most importantly hire a elite coach if we're ever to be taken serious

20. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    US Soccer right now.

[​IMG]

CybrSlydr and chr1st repped this.
  21. thenewXB

thenewXB Member

May 23, 2013
    OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gulati is re-elected, I would like someone to point me to the FIFA regulations for my one-time switch of senior national team allegiance. I will have some paperwork to file.

TKyle repped this.
  22. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where’s Brian McBride?

23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true.
    For as much as MLS has supposedly done for soccer in our country, throwing millions of dollars at Dempsey, Bradley, and Altidore to bring them to their respective stadiums to draw more fans to games has really hurt those players' development. None of them improved in MLS.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  24. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gulati needs to go.
    If he runs again, I PRAY that he doesn't get re-elected.
    Sadly, too many candidates could dilute the opposition vote, and he gets re-elected.

25. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it too late to schedule a couple of friendlies during the international break in November when UEFA plays their playoffs, Honduras plays the Socceroos and Peru plays Middle-earth?
    Ramos could pull in players who weren't in, or have been knocked out of, the MLS playoffs. Are European club teams required to release players (ie Miazga, Carter-Vickers, etc.) during international breaks if the games are merely friendlies?
    We need to be playing games. Lots of games.
    Chile, the Netherlands, Wales, and Ghana are free...