USMNT: The Post-Mortem Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I just saw that FIFA has to decide about automatic bids for the hosts.
    It’d be pretty embarrassing to be the first host nation to not qualify/participate. But with 48 nations, I think that would be more of a worry for Canada.

2. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #427 TKyle, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Looked at the 16 proposed host stadia for the US. Cincy and KC are the closest to the upper midwest—none in Det, Chi, or Min.
    Is the list of “candidate cities” closed (since they were in the bid), or can other cities/stadia still be considered?

3. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, several European countries, Brazil, and China (and much of Africa—host continent) voted for Morocco.
    I haven’t thoroughly thought about this, but, on the surface, things generally come down to money.
    Wouldn’t all those individual federations stand to make a lot more $ if USA, CAN, and MEX were to host?
    Is it a big F you to the US? (But Russia voted for the NA bid.). Paid to vote for Morocco?

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure they can change. In 8 years new stadia may be built that would better serve the tournament.

5. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's closed but then again, what do I know. Just a guess actually.

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The article I saw said all 3 hosts would automatically qualify. They'll take 3 of CONCACAF's spots but normally 2 would go to US and Mexico anyway. Have they said how the 16 new spots will be allocated among the confederations?

7. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.
    What I read was that FIFA was still to decide if the hosts get automatic bids.
    Frankly, I’d rather see us *have* to go thru qualifying. That would toughen us up more than playing friendlies vs GER, ARG, ENG, etc during those FIFA dates. Friendlies against powers who are tinkering with lineups with players who only see it as a friendly won’t be as challenging as a side whose qualifying is on the line.
    Just my 0.02.
    I don’t think FIFA has decided how to allocate the extra spots.
    Also frankly, I don’t like the idea of 16 groups of 3. Weaker nations are only guaranteed 2 matches, not 3.

8. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You assume people vote for what's best for their federation and not what bribe they've taken. This is still FIFA after all.

9. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be as simple as the time zone difference is much shorter between Morocco and Europe. Africa seems to stick together in these things. And there is the whole bribery/graft angle.

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    That Pulisic boy is good.

stanger and American Brummie repped this.
  11. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe 3G should try to sign him.

American Brummie and CybrSlydr repped this.
  12. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might be playing for Ggg in the near future...

American Brummie repped this.
  13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What it says: Five years ago yesterday was the sad anniversary of the call with US Soccer and some capos from Seattle.

...TMW we though that was as bad as it would get.

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Steffen, Trapp and Zardes called into USMNT for upcoming games. I would prefer they stay with the Crew.

TrueCrew repped this.
  15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped for the news. Totally disagree on content. I think the camp plus the quality of the opposition makes them better. Aren't missing any games. Go for it.

Afful also called for Ghana ACON qualifiers.

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Useless game on a team with no direction. Honestly, what's worse than no coach? Sarachan as a coach. USMNT plays too many games and I don't even know what the point of this one is supposed to be. It's better for players to stay with their club at this time.

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    By the end of the year, they'll have played 10 total.

I believe every single one was during an international break. Stop being a grumpy ass.

TKyle repped this.
  18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, warm up games for WC were during the season (1-1 with France in Paris lol).

19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I can be as grumpy as I want when we miss the World Cup. Grumpiness lasts until we play in the next one. I still don't see the point of this one. Care to explain?

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So no games until we qualify, eh?

Sounds reasonable.

KCbus repped this.
  21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm more concerned that these games are final auditions for Sarachan to be awarded the job. I hope we lose both games eleventy-billion to nil.

If Sarachan is given the job, I'm going to develope a @puttputtfc level drinking problem.

Minnman repped this.
  22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While on one hand I agree that, in the short term, who the fvck cares about these games? But on the other hand, in the long term, it's important to get these guys used to international soccer. Looking at the roster, it's fairly young. The only regular guys from the past couple years here are Wood, Yedlin, and..........

If Bradley and Altidore and people like that were called up, it would be worthless. Giving kids like McKennie, Adams, Weah, Steffen, and bright slightly older prospects like Parker, Miazga, and Acosta 90 minutes is vital.

If you don't see how this fits into the long terms plans of qualifying, then just quit watching international games now and only tune in for the World Cup.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Bono (Toronto FC), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge), Zack Steffen(Columbus Crew SC)

DEFENDERS (9): John Brooks (Wolfsburg), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Swansea City), Eric Lichaj (Hull City), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Matt Miazga (Nantes), Shaq Moore (Reus Deportiu), Tim Parker (New York Red Bulls), Antonee Robinson (Wigan Athletic), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls), Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC), Julian Green (Greuther Fürth), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Weston McKennie (Schalke 04), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain)

FORWARDS (3): Andrija Novakovich (Fortuna Sittard), Bobby Wood (Hannover), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC)

MLSinCleveland and TKyle repped this.
  23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you want the national team to qualify for the next World Cup. You don’t think playing matches helps that cause?

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    At this point, no. First, we play too many matches. Second, we don't have a permanent coach or anything resembling one. Third, our Euro guys are starting their seasons and MLS is nearing the playoffs. It is more important for the players to be with their clubs right now than play an absolutely useless game. There is no upside to this that I can see and the idea that there is some long term plan in play or it's vital to get this experience is silly. Let's take McKennie as an example. Playing in a mostly empty stadium on a subpar, temporary field for a tactical dolt is an upgrade from Schalke in what way?

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, if no other games are added, the USMNT will play a total of 10 matches this year. 10. That's less than one a month. That's hardly "too many." If anything, it's not enough. A team that's completely rebuilding doesn't find itself playing three or four times in as many months. That's the nature of national team soccer, though.

As for the Euro guys starting their seasons -- ALL Euro guys are starting their season. If Bundesliga teams and EPL teams and Serie A teams can deal with missing their guys, I'm not impressed with this argument.

The argument about MLS teams missing some of their guys during a playoff run is an argument I can get with. But this is the Crew forum, and our guys will be away during a gap in our schedule. Our guys will be back in time for the next match. There could be fatigue issues, but they'll be available.

And I don't care about your McKennie example. The guy isn't such a stud that there's no benefit to playing national team matches. A national team caliber player will always benefit from playing national team matches against other national teams (like Brazil and Mexico, for example) with national team teammates who are going to be long-term national team players.

You can't just wait for the first competitive matches and roll out 11 guys who have never played together and expect them to be a well-oiled machine. You have to PLAY. MATCHES. TOGETHER. As a team.

Good god. I understood all the hand-wringing about the nats after missing the World Cup. But the World Cup is over. The next World Cup cycle is here. It's time to start acting like a national team again.

CybrSlydr, MLSinCleveland, TKyle and 2 others repped this.