USMNT: The Berhalter Era pt. 1/ World Cup 2022 /Controversy

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ream is a worthless sack of crap

Be sure to.tune in tomorrow when the experts give him a "7" because they dont know shit

TRUJDUB and jack sticker repped this.
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor, after a discussion on Tommy Boy about 3 mins into second half stoppage:

"You just lost brain cells listening to me."

3. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Wtf is a deer getting out of a car mean

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It means Twellman is a bag of shit.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    the_rickler repped this.
  6. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Or we were a small budget team and he worked with the tools he had.

7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Trapp looked good tonight. I've said he struggles at this level and I hope he keeps proving me wrong.

TRUJDUB and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  8. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Hey what is with all this happiness and positivity. We need a guy that can be really negative about the first US coach to go 3-0-0, in his first 3 games in ten years with zero goals against in 3 games."

"Most of those guys are depressed eurosnobs. They always want to talk about Italian soccer. They talk about little small cups and bodies of work but are all over the place just to be negative. Don't make me read their tweets again, boss"

"Listen Boehm, you are going to do it and like it. And if you can find a Crew fan, even better."

"But Crew fans are all positive and happy after saving their team. And their two players did really well. Zardes even had the winning goal."

"Okay, maybe someone that is Crew fan that 'keeps it real.' [Motions with air quotes] They seem to just say anything so they can act like they were right all along."

"I know just the guy. I hope he didn't take his drugs tonight. Or took too much of the other drugs. And maybe a few drinks, in him too."

"Just get that quote."

9. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won the game. Last time I checked that was the whole point. Was it a meaningless friendly? Yes. Could things be better? Sure. We won and that has not been the case recently. Some are just miserable f^cks.

TRUJDUB and stanger repped this.
  10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The solution is as clear as it is simple:

We just need to replace Zardes with one of the many many world class strikers the US has sitting around waiting to get called in.

There. That was easy.

west ham sandwich, C-Bus20 and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  11. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Weah and Sargent got called into the U23 camp which makes it seem like qualification for the Olympics will be a priority.

I thought Trapp had some fantastic passes and looked good. He just seems to excel in Berhalter's system and I think his vision in the system might give him enough to outweigh his lack of athleticism. Zardes got the goal which is good but it was a deflection off a prayer shot that probably should have been saved. It seems weird to say since Porter and Berhalter's tactics are very similar but I think Zardes looks better in Porter's and Trapp looks better in Berhalter's. Hopefully Trapp can find his footing as the season goes on since he hasn't looked great in Crew yellow and looked pretty good last night.

I doubt either factor much in the future of USMNT games but will probably remain callups because of their experience with Gregg. Trapp might have a chance to earn some time but Zardes is definitely a placeholder and will likely be pushed out when Altidore is fully fit and the younger guys earn the callups.

For the USMNT, I thought Adams, McKennie, Ream and Morris all looked uncomfortable at the positions they were in. If Ecuador were interested in scoring, they could have really taken advantage of Adams moving out of position. Luckily, he's a freak athlete and was fit enough to get back when out of position (partly due to Ecuador not being very offensively interested). Ream looked like CB and playing wide and making clutch passes was not something he appeared to be able to do. I think Adams and McKennie can adapt with more playing time. Morris and Ream just don't appear to be fits. Hopefully McKennie avoided major injury on the ankle knock he took.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

This is excellent, V man! A one act play! A little historical fiction if you will! @stanger take notes! Look at the creativity. This is so much better the reflexive locker room bluster you usually throw my way.

Unfortunately, like most one act plays and historical fictions the author has been limited by the genre and has omitted key context and facts. Such are the perils of rushing in to get your work published before deadline.

I'd suggest that you go back and actually look at Boehm's timeline or even just the few tweets around it.

Boehm makes the point that "proactive possession play should be the goal for the USMNT" Agreed! He also makes the point that executing that in the first 2/3 of the pitch is nowhere near as difficult as the final 1/3. He brings up this point because the execution of the USMNT in the final third was lacking last night. He makes the mention that Gyasi Zardes had only 11 touches on the ball before his goal. This was against Ecuador. Not great, Bob!

Now, of course I know that the point of your whole one act play here was to paint me as negative and a Berhalter hater. And that's fine. I give you extra credit for hearkening back to your earlier works and mis-characterizations of me. For holding on to your own misunderstandings, and for the accurate depiction of my eurosnobbery. I do however need to deduct points for the use of "Italian soccer." In the future, please use calcio.

But moreover, I just wish to point out the limitations of your work. Boehm isn't a Berhalter hater, euro snob, or calcio aficionado.

He's not part of any larger conspiracy against the Berhalter Believers. He's just another fan who saw some of the same limitations within Berhalter's team last night as critics on this board. And ultimately this is where you wind up stuck within your template, so desperate to paint one character as negative, that you lose all context to the background events of the story.

Still a solid effort, nonetheless. I give it a WhoScored.com rating of 6.6.

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    As mentioned by some others watching the game. Zardes only had 11 touches on the ball before his goal. There are many in our pool who would need several times more than that. There are many in our pool who are not Gyasi Zardes.

All aboard the Gyasi Zardes Hype Train!

14. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    [​IMG]

Twellman is a tool but I enjoyed this reference despite it being clunky and not a common expression.

jack sticker repped this.
  15. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how you quote someone as an authority, when all they did was retweet you

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    "An authority" is probably stretching it a little bit.

I know that we are riding hight that we won 1-0 (on a shot that looked more destined to strike a seagull than fall into the back of the net).

I'm just pointing out that despite that others have also seen the same problems with Berhalter's teams, specifically in the final third, that is considered an extremist view or heresy around these parts.

17. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Trapp needed to have a good game vs a team that bunkered and allowed him space. This was his chance to show what he can bring to the team, which was spraying those long balls over the top. In the first half, he was the offense.

He also made a couple of decent tackles, including one where I thought he was going to have his knee or leg explode.

That being said, the real test is going to be when we are the ones bunkering.

For all that is said and done, a South American team just bunkered against us for 90 minutes. It's weird getting respected.

18. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic couldn't get on the ball at all in the first half. Obviously if Ecuador was going to key on anyone it was going to be him, but that is a major concern. If your best player can't find the game that can have a cascading effect.

Trapp was good in the first half. I agree with @hungariansteven, Trapp was the offense. He came off the boil a bit in the second half and had a bad turnover (phew, seen too much of that lately) and had less of an impact.

I sort of like the Adams at RB idea. The commentators harped on how it exposed our right flank, but I just don't see it. A modern RB overlaps and crosses, when that happens they're way up field and teams look to hit that vacated space when they can. This isn't that different and certainly never puts him further way from defending the right channel in our defensive third than if he had crossed the ball. Further, the left back stayed at home and shifted to a 3 back line when we had the ball. Adams started slowly but got more and involved as the game went on. I felt that the team covered that space well and Aaron Long has the speed to stick with most wingers that would drive into that space.

That said, dropping Trapp for Yedlin and having Adams move centrally might make the team better overall.

TRUJDUB and hungariansteven repped this.
  19. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The check mark next to his name does nothing for me.

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The check mark is irrelevant, you are the first to mention it.

21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could never put much trust in opinion of anyone who doesn't know how to spell Fahrenheit.

hangthadj repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, he's not a Ray Bradbury fan.

hangthadj repped this.
  23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps you should acquire one.

24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No thank you. It would only distract from my avatar and my coco loco.

25. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised.

hangthadj repped this.