USMNT: The Berhalter Era pt. 1/ World Cup 2022 /Controversy

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Dec 2, 2018.

1. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yeah, I just posted the Ellis news there.

3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep'd. Also, thanks - you're doing God's work.

4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of women's news in the men's thread, there seems to be another rumor that Audi Field is also going to host the USWNT for a friendly in early November.

So they could host the men and the women a mere three weeks apart!

Just rumors for now of course.

5. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Rapinoe will bitch that the men are scheduled in the same month as them. How dare the women not get their own month!

soccerncbus repped this.
  6. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

ZipSix, Alneri, appwrangler and 2 others repped this.
  7. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...layers-for-matches-against-mexico-and-uruguay

GOALKEEPERS (4): Jesse Gonzalez (FC Dallas; 0/0), Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 60/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 8/0), Zack Steffen (Fortuna Düsseldorf/GER; 15/0)
    DEFENDERS (9): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 37/3), Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 6/0), Sergiño Dest (Ajax/NED; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 7/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 11/2), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 8/0),) Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 35/1), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 10/2)
    MIDFIELDERS (7): Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 9/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 14/3), Alfredo Morales (Fortuna Düsseldorf/GER; 13/0), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; 0/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 15/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 19/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 1/0)
    FORWARDS (6): Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 3/0), Tyler Boyd (Besiktas/TUR; 5/2), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 33/5), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 31/13), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 7/2), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 51/10)

Mexico "friendly" in E Rutherford Friday at 8:30 on FS1.
    Uruguay friendly in St Louis (Postage Stamp Stadium West) Tuesday at 8pm EDT also on FS1.

The good: BMF on the roster; McKennie and Brooks are healthy; no OmarG and no Bradley.
    The bad: Tyler Adams must still be injured/recovering; Tim Ream on the roster; Trapp I assume will start at DMid.
    The ugly: Mexico!!

Puzzling: Miazga left off; what's the deal with DeAndre Yedlin?

Discuss.

TRUJDUB and LaMacchia repped this.
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler Adams is still injured and has not yet appeared for Energy Drink Leipzig this season.

TKyle repped this.
  9. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin is hurt too, iirc.

A lot of young elite level (if not quite "world class") talent coming through the pipeline. I hope Adams can get fit. He's the real deal and a ton of fun to watch.

I'm excited by this young group of center mids. Having 3, 4 or 5 guys playing every week in the middle of the park that are US eligible hasn't been a thing for us very much.

This senior group, the U-23s and the U-20s all have guys that are getting time and proving they belong. Then there's Gio Reyna who I wouldn't be surprised to see make the bench for Dortmund's senior team by the end of the season.

TKyle and TRUJDUB repped this.
  10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We haven't gotten a Landon Donovan out of it yet--but the depth is greater than at any time since I've been following the Nats. We used to have a handful of guys getting a cup of coffee with Euro teams in the top leagues and some playing in the lower divisions. Now? They are starting, regularly. Not many, yet, to be sure. But more and more as time goes on.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  11. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Pulisic is better than Donovan at the club level by far. Until we we get better as a team and go to the World Cup the jury is out. But I agree we are trending the correct way just wish we had a left footed LB better than Lima . But If Yedlin was healthy we would have plenty of talent at RB. So one of them will likely need to develop on the NT as they guy to take that position going forward. Also keep Adams in midfield when he is healthy and only outside back when needed. Definitely love our young central midfielders. Would be nice to have a dominant #9 hopefully someone steps up like Sargent but still Altidore is the best we have

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's just the vodka talking, but that roster is total trash, save one or two players. I looked at the defenders and thought, "what a terrible group". Then I looked at the midfielders and thought, "jesus, this is sad". Then I looked at the attackers and just stared at the screen for a while.

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised to see that Gyasi has 51 caps....

14. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While not exactly world beaters, I'm much more excited by this roster than the gold cup version.

Dest, Cannon and Robinson are all super young and have a ton to offer in this 2022 cycle. I hope all 3 start and I am excited to see them play.

Similarly, in the midfield, McKennie, Morales and Pomykal are all young guys with a ton of upside. The rest, ok, not too exciting adn I doubt we see all 3 of these guys start. Adams and pick 2 of the above and you have a pretty nice 3 man midfield.

I hope we see more of the 4-3-3 with Pulisic out wide rather than him playing the "Pipa Role" of the go anywhere roving free man or even a claissic #10.

I'm excited to see how these guys come together, I have no doubt that it would be better with vodka.

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morales is 29, FYI.

Dest and Cannon, sure, though it sucks that they are both right backs. Guys like Robinson and Zimmerman, they are doing alright in MLS, but I have doubt at international level, ditto with everyone else on the defenders list (save maybe Brooks).

In midfield, I don't think a single one of those players is international level. Everyone keeps hyping up McKennie, but every time I see him play I'm disappointed. Maybe it's just that Schalke is boring, IDK. Pomykal can be good... maybe.... like a million other young American MLS 'superstars of the future'. GB also said on ExtraTime that Pomykal probably won't play in these games, which is kinda shocking, but maybe that changes (hopefully).

The attack is terrible, truly CONCACAF level. Boyd was a nice find, but I think he's a CONCACAF level player TBH, Besiktas was the right move for him, probably his level (no disrespect meant). Just looked up his stats this year, 3 games, 3 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists. Played 90', 61', and 45' (in that order, a worrying trend). Zardes isn't World Cup level, let's be honest. Sargent has potential, but he can't even get regular minutes at Bremen, so we'll just have to wait and see. Jordan Morris? Corey Baird? GTFO. Pulisic is good, if only GB would play him wide instead of inside...

I just see a lot of re-treads here that we all know aren't up to the task, and it's sad. I'd rather go all out, IDK, 25 years old and under or something. Guys like Ream, Lovits, Morales, Trapp, Zardes, and Morris are steps backward, not steps forward.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know. I saw it. Trapp scored one of the best long range goals I've ever seen as well, I don't think he is international level (by that I mean World Cup, not Gold Cup).

I'd be more impressed to see Sargent start 15-20 games in a row and get 7-8 tap in's instead of sporadic minutes here and there and the occasional highlight reel goal.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that the BL season is just three games old, we might want to give him some time before pronouncing judgement. He did start and got good grades from Kicker in their last match.

19. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oops on Morales, was thinking of Mendez who is on the U-23 roster right now.

I can't say I agree with you on McKennie. He is raw but has all the tools and a real desire to make the midfield engine work.

I'm totally with you on going young. The u-23, u-20 and u-17 teams are all brimming with talent. The few guys on the senior roster that qualify for u23 but are here instead is good too.

20. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... next time I'm having a pretty damn good day and feel like things might be turning around, I'm gonna invite you out for a beer.

appwrangler repped this.
  21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you actually think that is a good roster? Big picture world cup? Compared to 2014? 2010? 2006? 2002?

22. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's good, but I don't think it's horrible either.

And, I should clarify: I don't completely disagree with you nor do I think you're being overly negative. My (snide) remark was a comment on your realism, which is generally something I value in a person. You're calling it like it is, and I respect that.

23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it *is* a friendly. A lot of those trashy folks won’t see the field—probably in camp so Gggg can get a look at them. New blood and all.
    OTOH, as “inexperienced” as our sr. roster overall, not sure why Arriola, Miazga, Sweat, Mihailovic, Gyau, and Weah were left off. Build mostly with a base you have. I’d take any of these over Cannon, Yueill, Morales, Baird et al.