News: USMNT roster for Mexico, T&T World Cup qualifiers released

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, May 28, 2017.

1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Atlanta United), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge), Tim Howard(Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake).

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Tim Ream (Fulham), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City).

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Paul Arriola (Tijuana), Alejandro Bedoya(Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Fabian Johnson (Moenchengladbach), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic(Borussia Dortmund).

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Jordan Morris(Seattle Sounders), Bobby Wood (Hamburg)

A bit of analysis

1. It appears that Horvath has leapfrogged the MLS goalkeeper candidates.

2. Hedges was called in over Zimmerman.

3. Great to see that Brooks, Johnson and Wood were called in, given their injury concerns.

4. Still no Lichaj.

5. Tim Chandler has been called.

6. Paul Arriola has been called again.

7. I will be at both matches.

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Popcorn ready.

No Feilhaber or sacha....let the bitching begin

Ghost and FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  3. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    fine with it.

i will be at the home match... first one with my kid

4. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    I dont mind this roster. Would like to see DW. I assume hes not there because of the playoffs.

5. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    ...from Feilhaber. Dude needs to grow up.

Patrick167 repped this.
  6. JHickman

JHickman Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Southeast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of...

7. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Never sure how much to read into how the players' positions are listed, but I'm wondering if this means Johnson is going to be used as a midfielder, and if Villafana will be our starting left back.

8. Deuce2Yedlin

Deuce2Yedlin Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Christian Ramirez might be better than any of these strikers

Bluecat82 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also might not...

I think we see him Gold Cup

10. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's some road trip! Well, not really if you live close to Colorado; I assume it's a direct flight from there to D.F. Regardless, that's awesome and I hope you return with 6 points, which would mean a great win in México.

Winoman, Bajoro and deuteronomy repped this.
  11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Really? DMB and a Zusi as an RB still? Lichaj could be a back up for both positions and free up a roster spot. I hope he makes the GC roster at the very least.

Can't really complain too much about the rest of the roster. Great to see we have apparently moved on from Jones. I would like to see the same for Bradley but I know that is unrealistic.

12. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones is still injured apparently. So no proof we have moved on yet.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Lichaj for DMB/Zusi. Also, I think we need to add an extra forward, especially given that Wood has had some serious injury concerns. I probably wouldn't call up someone new like Ramirez, Sapong, or Dwyer. Other than that, I'm really happy with the group. Glad to see a large roster.

14. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    No Lichaj but Zusi and Beasely. /sigh

Bruce you are concerning me. Slow veterans will not get you a result in Mexico.

I said it before and i am sticking to it. You have the Gold Cup to experiment and after that your honeymoon is over. Calling in guys pushing 40 come World Cup time is concerning.

CU soccer and Alexisonfire repped this.
  15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I thought that might be the case but I haven't really been tracking with the U-20 WC going on.

16. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    This is just a Jurgen roster with a couple of decent MLS players thrown in to the mix. Why did we bring in Bruce if he is going to do the same thing? I don't want to be one of those guys that moans about the rosters and manager all cycle long but I would have expected some additional creativity and we need to move on from a couple of guys here. Hopefully they still get it done vs T&T and actually play for a result in Mexico.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Because he will motivate the players. Give them clear instructions and deliver results.

Its not the same thing.

Bruce S, Deep Wilcox, hedur and 19 others repped this.
  18. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    I agree needs Lichaj and I would rather see Tim Ream than either DMB or Zusi.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    It is the same thing. He's bringing the same players, using the same formations and they are playing the same way. It's the same. It's just a cosmetic change meant to make a few people feel better. When Bruce gets special results or makes serious changes to the roster we can talk. Soccer is a players game, not a managers game. There is nothing Bruce is doing that makes him a better manager unless staying quiet about MLS' relative lack of quality is being a better manager. My real gripe isn't Bruce so much as USSF bending to the will of some oligarchs/MLS owners because JK spoke up and said what needed to be said. That's my problem.

20. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understand that. Very hard to keep track on so many players.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We'll make small improvements due to Arena being a slightly better coach, but the improvements will be going from likely not qualifying for the WC under Klinsmann to being one of the worst teams at the World Cup with this type of team.

We need big changes. Until that happens, this team isn't going to do well at the World Cup.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wood, Morris, Brooks, and Johnson were all pretty banged up and not in great form. Calling them up is a JK-style move.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The most important thing is the absence of Jones, who was hurting LA and the NT.

comoesa repped this.
  24. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Jones just and I mean JUST aged out and it's happening to Dempsey as well. A pair of eyes is not a special accomplishment or new insight. Bruce is right to move on from Jones but so would anybody with sense. This was NOT true last year when Jones and Dempsey were two of the best 4 US players in the Copa.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    JJ was ace at the Copa but was past it by the Mexico/CR series.