USMNT Injury Updates: All Players

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TrueCrew, Dec 4, 2009.

1. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    So, Team USA has a lot of injury question marks in the fullback category (don't forget that DeMerit is dealing with some sort of abdominal injury), as well as a lot of question marks of all kinds in the forward category. That leaves the midfield as the main group of players from which Bradley will trim his final roster. Unfortunately, that likely means Torres and/or Bendoya won't make the cut, but through no fault of their own (they don't also play fullback like Edu and Bornstein do, and they're not longterm Bradley favorites, like Benny, Bornstein, and possibly Sacha are.)

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    As far as I can figure out :

1) Charlie began to train with the first team on April, 22.

2) Bob sent the US physios to France at the end of April.

3) Bob named Charlie onto the provisional 30-man squad on May, 10th.

4) Sochaux's president mailed an official letter to USSF later that day, informing the federation that Sochaux would refuse to release Davies in medical grounds.

5) Bradley called Davies early on the 11th and said, "Too bad, Charlie, but your club isn't giving you a medical clearance and we're not going to fight them on this".

6) The next day, May, 12th, Sochaux posted on their web site that the club is breaking for the summer until June, 24th anyway and that any decision on Davies belongs to the USSF, thus essentially denying that it refused to provide the medical clearance just a day earlier.

7 ) Charlie went on a French sport ratio talk show on May 13th, and vented out his anger with the club.

The end.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BB should have fought for his player. Plain and simple.

If I was on the squad, I'd be looking cross at my manager. Wouldn't you?

At least send our own physios, who apparently didn't have a problem, since BB had him on the roster.

4. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    BB should fight for the team. Team is not there to serve teacher pets. Give it up it is over. Davie should get ready mentally and physically for the future as there will be new blood coming to challenge for spots. There are no guarantees.

5. Cujo1126

Cujo1126 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree to a certain extent. But its not Bobs fault that Charlie's club is being deceitful about his status. Ever since the roster came out, I've suspected that Charlie was ready to go but his club lied to protect their interests.

I thought about what would transpire if the USSF were to fight the decision, and there's really no good that could come of it. FIFA would have to acknowledge the USSF's claim (that Sochaux are lying). If FIFA were to back the US, the Sochaux doctos would loose their lisence for ever, and Sochaux would have to be fined. FIFA just doesn't do controversial stuff like that.

Its more likely that FIFA wouldn't do anything. Shochaux would get pissed off at the USSF, and Charlie could potentially have to find a new club.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is FACT? Link? As far as I know he was still in CONSIDERATION for the 30 on May 10th. Not actually on it.

FIFA is corrupt. This is not a surprise.

^This more than ANYTHING. If the timeline described by SFS is indeed true then Bradley has to consider how a decision to put Davies on the squad affects his career LONG TERM. It's possible it would have ruined his relationship with his club which could have had an incredibly horrible end result. And then what if Bob names him and it turns out he can't make the 23. Now not only is CD's World Cup dream over, but his relationship with his club is potentially over as well.

I hate politics, but recognize that they do exist.

7. Panzer1945

Panzer1945 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    LA, CA
    In the long run it might actually be better for Charlie. If USSF had force the issue with his club, and Charlie failed to impress at the World Cup or not even make the final roster, the damage to his future will be tremendous. I mean he really needs to think about the long-term. Why risk your whole career at a tournament that you might not actually get that much playing time. If he get dropped by his club or something this summer, how many clubs will want to pick up a player with his injury history? I think he need to maintain a better relationship with his club (they actually have been pretty supportive after his injury, until the whole World Cup callup gate!).

8. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I look at this, the more I start to think that after US physios had a chance to look at Davies in late April, they reported back to Bradley that there was a chance he might be ready for the World Cup but that it was a very slight one. Bradley was initially okay with calling him up for the camp under those circumstances because he figured even a tiny chance was worth considering, given that Davies had rehabbed like a madman for so long and that the last couple guys on the 30-man roster weren't really going to be more than camp fodder anyway.

But then Sochaux objected to releasing Davies and thereby raised both further doubts about his fitness and the risk of a protracted hassle over the call-up (appeals, lost player insurance, etc.). Bradley looked at that and said, "Okay, given that Charlie was a massive long shot in the first place, trying to bring him in at this point would be bad for the team and maybe even for Charlie. So let's just put a healthy body into one of the long-shot slots."

I have no direct proof of that, of course. That just seems the likeliest explanation.

Bradley obviously values Davies. Bradley obviously spent a lot of time checking on Davies. Bradley has been working very hard for thirty months to prepare for a World Cup that might well be the defining moment of his coaching career. I just can't imagine that Bradley would've backed down from challenging Sochaux if he thought he had anything to gain for the team by pressing the issue.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Let me add "tentatively".

Otherwise, there's no reason for Lacombe, the Sochaux president, to fire off that "Hell, no, he won't go" letter to the USSF.

If Davies was going to be left off the preliminary 30-man roster regardless, the club would have no worries.

And while I basically agree with Grumpy's views above me, I will also say that the US medical personnel came to see Davies a week or less after he began to train fully with the first team and his rustiness and lack of match fitness had to have been more obvious.

But I'll also say that Bob should have told the club's officials to bite him.

A US coach can't be treated like this.

Even if Davies was really unfit.

And if he was capable of gaining most his form back by June, 12th, then this decision might go down in the US soccer/WC history as one of the worst made.

Mind you, Davies is due to report back to Sochaux on June, 24th for the medical check-up and his club's preseason training program along with his teammates.

Should the US qualify for the knock-out rounds, it will play on June, 26th or 27th.

While Davies is scrimmaging in France.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Over and over again, we see stories of guys who have been off the radar (in most cases, deservedly so) state explicitly that they haven't had any contact with Bradley in ages, or if they had, it was in the wake of their recent hot spell, and the first contact with him in ages.

Charlie had been in pretty consistent contact with Bob and his staff.

There's nothing about this that suggests that Bob didn't value Charlie or had written him off entirely until the last couple of days when a difficult decision had to be made.

My personal opinion, especially given the way Bob handled the Gooch situation, is that if Charlie were even considered seriously by Sochaux for the final 18, and that his fitness backed up that consideration, then Bob would've named him and left Findley at home.

I don't say that this (or any decision) can't be questioned, but I really don't see this one as being nearly as controversial as people are making it out to be.

11. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    "...they're not longterm Bradley favorites, like Benny, Bornstein, and possibly Sacha are." By this criteria, the team would evolve into a team of old men. I suspect that his favorites are the ones that will get him wins. Bornstein is mistake prone at left back. And I supect that Spector will end up playing left back and make not only Bornstein but also Pearce disposable.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Per Goff ...

Mainly affects his kicking? Is that all?

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    call up friedel

14. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Why would they bring in Marshall if he's banged up? I thought he was insurance against an injury to one of our other three banged up central defenders?

15. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    No, it also affects his ability to walk, run, dive and jump. Oh, and his ability to generate power on throws. But it's mainly kicking.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He was healthy enough to play 90 minutes on Saturday. Relax.

17. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Standing is also a chore. He will most likely borrow Pat Onstad's walker to get around camp.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/03/26/howard-doubt-for-wolves

Reported March 26.

So the question is, does TH have the same (lingering) injury that he played through to finish out the season, or is he newly injured?

19. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another update...

New updates in green are positive
    New updates in red are negative

Injured
    -

Minor injurys
    Demerit - day to day with abdominal strains
    Bocanagra - did ball work and is making good progress (warmed up with team)
    EJ -
    minor hamstring issue trained on his own
    Howard - quadricep injury that effects kicking
    Chad Marshall - has a slight hamstring injury

Training with full team
    G
    ooch - traveled with team (Milan), but did not make the game day roster

No longer injured
    Chin
    g - made the bench yesterday (5/9), but did not play
    Holde
    n - subbed on for the last 24 minutes (5/10)
    Goodson - is fine (he missed one game) and he went 90 (5/10)
    Dempsey - Hand thingy (stills plays with team)
    Edu - played in a match (5/1)
    Benny - back playing with full team (ankle)
    Bradley - back playing with full team (broken nose)
    Beasley - back with full team (thigh/hamstring)
    Clark - back with full team (calf strain)

20. BronzeArt

BronzeArt Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Rocky Top
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update, Footsatt. All out of bean counters, or I'd spread the love.

21. polska26

polska26 Member

Feb 20, 2008
    is this a serious injury for howard that could hurt his world cup chances

22. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, we had a phsyio go there to check him out. I imagine that would be enough notice that the US was at least considering calling him up, which might prompt them to write the letter.

23. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was playing it with the last month or so for Everton. Sometimes they would have a defender take goal kicks. Didn't miss any time though.