USMNT Injury Updates: All Players

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TrueCrew, Dec 4, 2009.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, with a ton of injury news this week, and more today, I thought creating a thread for all our injured pool players, instead of multiple individual ones, might also be a good idea.

Here is the list of whom I'm considering (at the moment): DeMerit, Jones, Edu, Cooper, Onyewu, Davies.

Here is today's news:

1) Jay DeMerit: returned to training.

Has returned to training for Watford, but they don't want to rush him, so he is unlikely to play in the next two games (Newcastle on Sunday, QPR on Tuesday). Still, it looks like he'll be ready to play, possibly before the new year.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/12/demerit-closes-in-on-comeback.html

In other injury related news, starting with those closest to playing.

2) Jermaine Jones: returned to training; could return before Schalke's break on Dec. 19.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/12/jermaine-jones-returns-to-training.html

3) Maurice Edu: returned to training, targeting Jan. 3 Old Firm Return.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/12/edu-targets-jan-3-comeback.html

4) Charlie Davies: MD's say he should be ready for WC; will begin jogging in Feb.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...ng-to-be-back-in-action-by-the-world-cup.html

No new news on Onyewu or Cooper, feel free to post 'em if you got 'em. Both certainly are closer to returning than Charlie.

Also, let's hope the good news mojo continues today!

2. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From SBI:

3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    onyewu is rehabbing with davies in delaware...

i suspect his patella should be ahead of the davies body injuries...

i can see gooch playing early april, with davies maybe early may, given it'll be 90 days of jogging thru the intensive rehab...

4. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! If CD could really return for the WC, that'd be fantastic news. And DeMerit's news is great too! The Jones and Edu were more expected, but at least they're moving along. Now let's get some good news on Gooch!

5. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. BayernGK

BayernGK Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Louisville
    I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but anyone with a brain should no that it is an extreme longshot that Charlie will be back, fit, etc. for the World Cup. This injury is so much more serious than people seem to think. I know it says his doctors say they "look forward to watching the World Cup," but that seems to me them saying "Hey if things go right you might be able to make it back for then." I don't think anyone should expect Charlie back for the World Cup. If he gets back to his form from this year at some point in his career again we should all be happy.

7. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Ives, DeMerit played the last 45 minutes today in Watford's win over QPR. and looked pretty good doing it.

Great news

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. A big boost to our central defense, and depth. Watford is, I think, up to 6th. Promotion battle will be great for Jay.

9. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If things go right and he is really as far as jogging by February, there's no reason he couldn't be up to speed a full four months later. Sure, things could happen in the meantime to make that impossible, and I'm sure the coaches are going to craft a strategy where having Davies is make or break, but there isn't a reason to follow his situation with an eye toward him possibly making it back in time.

10. BayernGK

BayernGK Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Louisville
    I agree. It's definitely worth watching because if he gets back to full strength he is integral to our team. I just don't think it's worth getting my hopes up for because of how long it really is supposed to take.

11. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with Charlie will be the contact he takes--will that aggravate his injuries, etc.

Also, there's obviously no way he'll be an every game starter in the WC, but I could see him coming in around 60' every game.

12. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, how do you know any of that information? The first is based on the assumption that his injuries are of a type that can be aggravated by contact. The second is merely speculation on your part because, unless you know some unannounced information, you have no idea about how fast he will recover.

From what I know based on news reports, he suffered multiple fractures, including femur, tibia, elbow and face. But, bones heal fairly quickly, compared to ligaments, for example (see Gooch's problems). He also had a ruptured bladder, but that has been repaired and should certainly be back to normal strength by 2-3 mo post accident. Frankly, barring additional problems or other issues that have not been publicized, I expect Davies back before Gooch.

13. BayernGK

BayernGK Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Louisville
    And how do YOU know any of THAT information? You're doing the exact same thing as he is, you're just a bit more specific. What should make us believe you Dr. Kravitz?

14. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
  15. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I think the odds are incredibly long that Charlie Davies is back in playing form by the World Cup.

Given the extent of injuries, it would be nothing short of miraculous.

From US Soccer
    Davies suffered a lacerated bladder and fractures to the tibia and femur bones in his right leg. He also suffered facial fractures and a left elbow fracture. Davies was air-lifted to the hospital where a team of doctors first repaired a ruptured bladder and then inserted titanium rods in both the tibia, the bone in the lower leg, and the femur, which is the thigh bone, with no complications.

Also -- and I will be a Debbie Downer here -- do not be surprised if his career as 1st division soccer player is in serious jeopardy. The muscle atrophy alone will take months to recover.

I am good friends with a very experienced orthopedic surgeon, and given the reports on the injuries, and the repairs required, his view is that it's 50-50 the kid kits up for the national team -- ever.

16. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, it's speculation. But I'm assuming that a fractured femur probably won't feel good 7 months after being broke when Rooney, etc. go clattering into it.

The 2nd point? You really think he'll have the fitness to go 90 every game? I think it's just common sense. I hope I'm wrong.

17. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    davies problem is the total body injury...

he rehabs and the pieces can approach 100%, but june is a very aggressive schedule...

it's reaching form where the main problem will exist...

where will he play...

i think at best, davies as a 10-15 minute sub would be how i'd view him, basically as 4th forward, a guy off the bench...

starting is very problematic

18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    If Davies can simply make it back to fitness by then, his mere presence might be a huge morale lift to the team, IMO. But I don't know he could expect to achieve match form without a run of regular play. So even if he's fully healthy, he still might well be only a late game attacking sub-on at best.

19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the real issue. The bones will be healed; he'll be doing yeoman's work to get the muscle back. But whether he can get his technique and speed back to the necessary level is a totally different question. Not only does he have to get into physical shape and participate in practices, he has to get into game shape. Assuming he is on the proper physical recovery trajectory, how is he going to get into game shape? MLS loan?

20. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed and just having him as an option off the bench is huge IMO...not just as a morale booster either.

21. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    agree, davies trhe last 10-15 minutes IF usa is down a goal, is a better option than ching or possibly casey...

if he's healthy enough, his pure athleticism is the route i'd go...

90 minutes, i don't think so

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    According to that article he's got cartilage damage, and is barely walking at this point.

His chance was to get healthy and match-fit in time for a possible callup to the Holland friendly in March. That's seeming increasinly unlikely.

I really like Kenny, but this injury came at a really bad time for him.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas