News: USMNT GOAT Player Landon Donovan coming out of retirement

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 8, 2016.

1. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    And he didn't retire from soccer all together for 18 months before that. Not comparable.

2. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's saying Klinsi technically HAS used players who retired from usmnt before (ignoring the circumstances), so the door cannot be shut all the way... yet.

3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until Landon signs a multi-year contract, the door is shut all the way.

vexco repped this.
  4. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah... If he's just going to hang with LA for the rest of the season, then fine, there's no chance. But I think the underlying theme of this thread is assuming there WILL be a new agreement after the season and Donovan WILL keep playing for the next two years.

5. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    First of all, we talk about all kinds of players who have never, or may never again sniff a USMNT callup. Second, if you don't think it's an important discussion, then DON'T READ IT. That's a great thing about internet boards, if you don't like where a discussion is going, you don't have to click on it. You leave it to those who do find it intriguing and move on with your life.

6. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    What fun is that? Complaining is wayyyyyyyyyyyy more fun than sitting on the sidelines.

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well look who made the subs bench, just as Bruce had said earlier.

Berks and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Exactly how I feel.

So that means I can post my opinion too doesn't it? I can say I find it ridiculous that anybody would have an issue with an LD thread in US N&A.

While his chances of a USMNT future may be slim and none, when he laces those boots up, slim is at least in town. What was heretofore impossible is now improved to highly unlikely. We keep up with most remotely posssible usmnt players in this forum and many do not care for MLS.

21st Century Pele repped this.
  9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. You also added that those that disagree should unsubscribe and go away so that you can not have to deal with differing viewpoints.

James

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll go one further.....

in Landon's "farewell" USMNT match....the one sunil forced upon JK.....JK said after the match that the door is always open for Landon to come back.....which i thought was weird at the time..possibly a backhanded comment....but now...it makes perfect sense. maybe it was also a "im sorry i f'd up and left you off the team"? maybe this was the plan all along???

take 2 years off....get fresh....ramp up for Russia starting with the beginning of the hex.....

Maybe JK realized how asinine it was of him to cut LD and came up with this plan as an apology??..

if the galaxy win MLS cup and donovan plays a role....i think he will be USMNT-worthy once again....which would also be a huge slap in the face to pretty much all of MLS.....the guy who has singlehandedly done more for MLS than any other player would actually damage the league by winning another title from his couch...kinda ironic in a way if it happens.

PS Donovan is already in better form than Bedoya.

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon already highlighted the poor quality of MLS and LAG by coming back from two years off and immediately leapfrogging a number in their squad and supposedly great academy. Notice cats like Villarreal and BJIV are still with LAG II.

He also highlighted how poor LAG is in the transfer market. They struck out to the point Bruce need to ask a retiree if he was interested in playing again.

UxSxAxfooty and Mt Stone@ repped this.
  12. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This willl be my last comment, but they were voicing an opinion not about the thread itself but rather its placement in this forum. I merely suggested a remedy that would work better than complaining about it since many of the posters here don't go to MLS forums. It is ridiculous to ssuggest that USMNT shouldn't have an LD thread if he has his boots on.

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    What's wrong with GOAT? Seems to me that he's pretty clearly our GOAT.

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Because it waves a red flag at some people who don't like him and don't like the fact that he quite clearly was, who respond by attempting to derail and break the thread, as we've seen.

StillKickin, deuteronomy and Berks repped this.
  15. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If donovan's inclusion is a slap to the face, Miguel Ibarra's was a mike tyson haymaker.

16. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the biggest tragedy at all. Both have had their careers stalled partly because of Bruce's lack of faith in young players.

17. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't know, man. 96 of your 114 word "apology" were a criticism of your fellow mods, so maybe you should think about that.

This whole cluster******** is Exhibit A for how a lighthearted club rivalry jab can spin out of control.

My own philosophy on mods is sort of like what I tell my rec league team about the referees: "Refs are people, too, and just like us they don't always have perfect games. They probably aren't getting paid enough to justify the amount of shit we're dishing out, so let's try to keep it a little more civil."

And I salute you (all of you) for your service to BigSoccer.

Curva Nord, Mahtzo1 and dark knight repped this.
  18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You don't moderate this forum and your apology frankly left a fair amount to be desired. We don't forum ban moderators, we ask that they step down from their role with the site, so if you'd like to double down on your contempt for this forum's moderators then I suggest you step down so we can forum ban you. Otherwise, kindly send a note to me and @bungadiri so we can have confidence that this won't happen again. Thanks.

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    They can either make coherent reasons for why he isn't the GOAT or they can stay in a forum where player hating has a sympathetic audience. Not sure we should avoid calling him the GOAT to avoid upsetting folks who think otherwise.

Footsatt, Bajoro and Marko72 repped this.
  20. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing him play again was bittersweet. Was wonderful to get to see a player we screamed our voices away cheering on. Was sad to think what might have been, resurfacing the feelings and memories of 2014.

Hope his swan song is a good one.

21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    villareal has looked good when he's played in MLS

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well, it took about 15 minutes or so of cumulative play including last week to score.

In a match that LA were trading by one, no less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StillKickin, Pl@ymaker and CU soccer repped this.
  23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Um.....

Cap him now!

coldfusion repped this.
  24. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Started out up top but then seemed to play more of a holding mid after the goal. Clearly not as quick as before, but he's such a smart player that he can still be very effective.

StillKickin and Pl@ymaker repped this.