USMNT GM Position

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by a_new_fan, Feb 15, 2018.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    So I sure everyone has heard that Garth Lagerway is the first candidate whose name has popped up.

Tonight though they announced the second candidate(and the person that has already agreed to become the first GM)

Carlos Bocanegra

He has very limited front office experience and his actual impact at atl has to be questioned I mean it is pretty obvious why young talented players from argentina are signing with atlanta and if you think it has anything to do with carlos you aren't paying attention.

Carlos did lock up the position though this past saturday when he lobbied heavily on Cordeiro's behalf with the athletes council.

It is a very bad look for this to be the first move for the new president.

2. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Well, I think we should at least be able to agree that Bocanegra has a lot more knowledge about the game on the field than anyone else we've ever had as an administrator in charge of the national team. I'd trust him a lot more than Gulati to make soccer decisions. Had a distinguished career in Europe and in MLS as well as the national team and is the technical director of a successful MLS team that isn't afraid to look globally. Speaks Spanish. I mean, what else do you really want? We're not going to get some superstar to take an office position with the USSF. I think he'd likely be a decent pick at least just looking at the resume as an outsider.

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Do we know what the job entails exactly?

4. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    really?

so you think that he knows more then Bob Bradley?

he has been the TD for...two years on a club where the the coach clearly calls the shots.

what do I want? someone with more then two years of management experience this isn't not a job for someone to be trained with. this is for an experienced person.

lets look at resume

candidate A:
    two years technical director at one club(no trophy)
    one year vp(no trophy)
    over 100 caps with usmnt(110 to be exact) and captian for 5, played professionally(all over world) for 14 years

candidate B:
    7 years experience at club A he was GM and VP of soccer operations
    at the club won an mls cup, also runner up for cup, runner up for open cup and first club to ever make it to CCL final
    second mls cup is gm/vp of operations oversees everything from player transactions to technical staff(i.e. the usmnt job description) has won a cup and runner up
    played professionally for 17 years all in US

candidate C:
    played 15 years professionally(all over world); played in two olympics; 111 usmnt caps; captian for 9 years
    sporting director for mls club for 5 years now(no trophy)

look at those resume....you need to get over the how long or where he played...this isn't about playing its about managing talent.