USMNT Eligible Players in UEFA Champions League

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Patrick167, Mar 30, 2018.

1. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Can we save these doom and gloom talks for next March, not that I think CP has done well so far with Chelsea?

jnielsen repped this.
  2. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Chelsea shelled out $73M for Pulisic if they weren't high on him and weren't planning on playing him a lot.

IndividualEleven and Patrick167 repped this.
  3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? It is totally relevant with the thread topic. But I did bump the CP specific thread... so I will just take my thoughts over there.

jnielsen repped this.
  4. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick look at the rosters for today show Dest as the only starter and Pulisic as the only bench player among potential US players.

5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they saw it more as an investment into the future?... Perhaps 2019 is supposed to be a transition year for him and he provides insurance if their is an injury? I dunno. But it is not a good sign that he didn't sniff the field against Wolves. They are drawing at home against Valencia in 69'... so if he doesn't come in soon then I think it will be a huge indictment. CP just has to find a way to put the ball in the net.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A reminder that Beasley actually started a Champions League semifinal when he was at PSV. But Pulisic is now our all-time leader in Champions League appearances. [Worth noting that this doesn't take into account the qualifying stages. Beasley is still on top if you include those.]
    1191839967238139906 is not a valid tweet id

7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I wouldn't have thought, back in August, that Adams and Weah would still be hurt and not play a single UCL game.

If Adams can ever get back on the field, it seems like RBL will have games in the new year. Chelsea should also get through to the knock-outs. Less certain about Ajax. Lille looks to be finished. Marsch and RBS should move to the Europa League where they should be very competitive.

There is informed speculation that Richards will be on the bench for Bayern in two hours.

8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    We have a yank on on Bayern roster?

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, it didn't happen.
    They do apparently have a guy that's a muscular Mike Magee look alike.
    There is an MLS academy product in their starting XI. Just not American...............

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Davies is already in their starting 11? Very impressive. Good for Canada.

12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I consistently root against Bayern... so I watch a lot of their games. Starting for them at 19 is impressive... I have not been blown away at all with his performances yet... especially considering that he has the best striker in the game starting next to him every time out. But he is getting valuable experience and has shown flashes. USMNT needs to shut him down in a couple of weeks.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least one other at U17-U19 in Taylor Booth. I "think" there are more but can't remember any more names so maybe not. FCD has five going for a month for training or trials depending on how you look at it. Richards got bought after one of those but there have been others where no one moved.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's a group of dual nationals in their youth teams of the Julian Green variety. Malik Tillman, for instance. The two US-born players are indeed Taylor Booth (who moved from the RSL academy) and Richards. Chris seems a lot closer to the first team than Booth does.

Of course, we have the five FCD youngsters training there right now (Roberts, Reynolds, Rodriguez, Cerillo, Pepi). Thomas Roberts' stint there is being called more of a trial by FCD insider types. So if successful perhaps that will turn into a season long loan in 2020 or even transfer.

15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Booth just started their UYCL game at CM. So, he is doing very well.

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Ajax and Dest are out of the UCL and into the Europa league. Weah never got any minutes and Lille are out altogether. Marsch is also moving to the Europa league.

Pulisic and Adams (if he ever comes back) are on to the knock out round.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too bad considering how young they all are.

18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Pulisic and Chelsea drew Bayern Munich. In his time at Dortmund, Pulisic played some of his best against Munich. In particular, he owns Kimmich. Too bad for him that Kimmich hasn't been playing RB much lately.

Adams, if he ever gets back, gets Spurs.

Christensen has been poor for Chelsea, any chance Miazga gets recalled? Doubtful. Doubt KDLF or CCV get called into their senior team. So, it will probably be Pulisic and Adams as the only Americans in the next round. Unless....

...Reyna gets into the Dortmund team. I think there is a chance. Brunn Larsson hasn't been heard of in months and will probably leave in the next window. I don't think Sancho gets sold. But any injury to Sancho or Hazard or any rotation around the UCL and Reyna could be next up.

In the Europa League, all the following should play:

Sergino Dest with Ajax against Getafe
    Jess Marsch with RBS vs Frankfurt
    John Brooks with Wolfsburg vs. Romaine Gall and Malmo

Outside shots at minutes:

Owen Otasowie with Wolves vs Espanyol
    Ethan Horvath with Brugge vs Man United
    Tim Chandler with Frankfurt vs RB Salzburg

Dark horses for spot minutes:

Uly Llanez
    Matt Polster
    Keaton Parks

largegarlic and Winoman repped this.
  19. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    weah should/hopefully will be back before el starts back up

20. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lille finished last in their group so they are out of Europe altogether.

21. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah. nuts.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #147 Clint Eastwood, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    I think it is worth highlighting in this thread the importance of Tyler Adams' goal to send Leipzig thru to the quarterfinals of the Champions League.

We'll also use this time to highlight the fact that quite a number of USMNTers have scored in the Champions League. An American scoring in the Champions League isn't some sort of anomoly (Pulisic, Kljestan, Edu, Fabian Johnson, Kirovski, Jermaine Jones, etc.) Claudio Reyna scored a critical one for Rangers against Parma (and Buffon) in the qualifying stage. None of those goals was on the stage of the quarterfinal, though.

Younger folks may not appreciate how good the young pre-injury DeMarcus Beasley was.
    His stunning goal for PSV in the Champions League is at minute 1:38 of this highlight package. The first touch at speed. Beautiful.

I think its also worth reminding ourselves that an American has won the Champions League. Jovan Kirovksi played for Borussia Dortmund in the early Champions League stages in 96-97. He didn't play in the latter stages, although was on the bench for the semifinal against Manchester United. He was awarded a winner's medal.
    [​IMG]

jnielsen, 50/50 Ball and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here

Great post.

Also, those Parma kits were ........... cheesy. (slinks away)

MPNumber9 repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That game is sorta legendary at Rangers. Younger fans may not appreciate a Parma versus Rangers game as both clubs subsequently hit on hard times, but that was a huge match. And Reyna was voted "player of the game" by many publications.
    https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/rangers-v-parma-20-years-16731304

Note that on that goal Reyna slid the ball past three World Cup winners: Lilian Thuram, Fabio Cannavaro, and Buffon.

By the way, just to note how good that Rangers team was.................they beat Bayern Munich and PSV in the group stage. Here's our hero in the starting XI against Bayern. Keen observers will see Giovanni van Bronckhorst in that photo on the bottom right. Claudio named his son after him.................Gio Reyna.
    [​IMG]

MPNumber9 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The Qualification Stages are actually starting in four days for next year's competition. Any chance we see Cam Harper for Celtic?

Boyd with Besiktas enter in the next round and Dest and Ajax in the last round.

Pulisic
    Adams
    Reyna

Will be playing.

Horvath
    Steffan

Will be on benches. Possibly with KDLF, Richards and Mendez and Dos Santos. I don't think Johnson will be with Monchengladbach.