USL supporter groups, activities, networking, etc.

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by yojimbo81, Jan 6, 2013.

1. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who participates in USL Pro supporter activities? What is your group? Do you have any social networking (Facebook, website, Twitter, etc.) and what do you do to promote your club locally?

Has any group organized trips to away games? I know this is likely difficult considering the vast amount of US soil between the league clubs.

I am very curious in the activities of other USL Pro supporter groups. I am part of La Furia Roja 1881 and we're stoked about Phoenix FC entry into the league. We're doing our part to help turn people on to the club.

2. CapitalCityFC

CapitalCityFC Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
  3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty active here in Charleston with the Regiment

we have Facebook, website, twitter (not used as much) and of course various forums.

We organize at least one bus trip annually. We have bused to Wilmington, Charlotte, Atlanta and DC. I have organized it the last five years so I can help you out with that. We also organize car pools for some other away matches. Last year we had small groups go to Richmond, Harrisburg, Orlando besides Charlotte and Wilmington.

We have do scarves and t-shirts and are lucky enough the club donates a signed jersey that we typically raffle off at home games to raise money for more Regiment events.

We typically have watch parties for US matches and everyone seems to stop by our local pub to watch EPL matches and he have hosted away watch parties for Battery matches (connecting the laptop to a TV to watch the live streaming)

We host a year end party BBQ with the players and staff each year. and during our Carolina Challenge Cup typically we host several events for any visiting supporters like pub crawls and even took a group of Red Patch Boys from TFC down to a range where we rented an Uzi and had a couple hours putting holes in targets.

6. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's awesome. The ranks of LFR consist heavily of the American Outlaws so we meet up for US games as well. We're talking about a trip to LA as it's our most viable option. We've produced two scarves thus far and sold out both runs. Looking good thus far.

I like what you're doing. Good work.

Mikey mouse repped this.
  7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know about your guys scarves ( I am a sales rep for global scarves) and you guys look like your on the right track.

we've had our share of hiccups and things that didn't work out over the years so we can give a lot of lessons learned over the last 20 years (well the regiment has been around since 1999 but many of our members have been here since the beginning)

we are always looking to improve as well so we always listen to other success stories.

One thing that has helped us immensely over the years is a good relationship with our front office. sometimes that takes some concessions on our part but the benefits are worth it.

davideinstein repped this.
  8. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, then, send my love and appreciation to Global Scarves. They did a mighty fine job and the Iron Maiden font turned out lovely (my sole contribution to it).

Mikey mouse repped this.
  9. CapitalCityFC

CapitalCityFC Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
  10. outfit153

outfit153 New Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
  11. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From last night:

[​IMG]

I'm trying to get a better picture of it, but it's Mickey, and it said "Welcome to Orlando".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both ILF and The Ruckus had smoke bombs.

[​IMG]

The full image gallery of Kevin Krause for the match here.

12. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfettered by the City of Orlando's rules at the Citrus Bowl, the ILF brought a ton of flares, smoke bombs and fireworks to the Orlando City U-23 U.S. Open Cup match against VSI Tampa Bay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a small Dayton Dutch Lions supporters group going...Oranje Legion.

15. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are there photos of them anywhere?

16. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't want to see...I italicized small for a reason...

17. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Support is support. It's good to hear that someone is doing something. I respect any effort in this league.

18. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely!

The guys are good guys. They are trying. Keep on going. I wish them nothing but the best. Maybe I am wrong, but I think the club (as a whole) is headed in the proper direction. Maybe the city of Dayton and the soccer community will find a way to support it.

19. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Oranje Chad

Oranje Chad New Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Dutch Lions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! You are absolutely right. We are SMALL, but we are trying and are fairly loud for the numbers that show up regularly. We've got flags, smoke, a confetti cannon, a drum, and an original chant or two. The players and the FO seem to appreciate our efforts.
    Some day, this little town is going to wake up and realize what it's been missing. The Dutch Lions and the Oranje Legion will be ready to welcome them.

Mikey mouse and ThePonchat repped this.
  21. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just returned from two road trips to follow the OCSC Lions.
    In Wilmington (3 July) the Port City Firm had 12 people at their tailgate and were very welcoming with dogs and burgers. In the stands I counted 17 of them with flags and a drum (we had 18 travel or meet there). We did not have the drunk Englishman try to attack us like last year so it was a very nice event with a very good fireworks display after the game. IMO USL Pro is perfect for this size of a city (if you have never been to Wilmington it is well worth a weekend. The little downtown area has 17 bars in 8 square blocks.
    On 5 July we had 50+ at the tailgate the Regiment threw and while some of our folks were into their cups it was a great time. I counted 48 home supporters at their tailgate but in the stands the Regiment disappeared!?! The group across from where they placed the 72 OC supporters had a different banner but some of the flags I had seen at the tailgate? They didn't cheer or sing much, just a few songs. The regular fans were not ready for 90 minutes of noise and we had several complaints to include a fellow who had lost his pre-teen son and yelled at us for being so loud the regular fans could not hear the "Amber Alert" announcement. He found his kid but still wanted to jaw about it. I was very happy we could bring the entire fanbase of Charleston together as their team scored in the 89th min while we were down to 10 men and as one the 4000 fans flipped us the bird. Great beer at 6 bucks a can for Boddingtons.
    On 14 July I was very disappointed with the Dayton Dutch Lions game. Their team has figured how to beat our passing game, you just knock everyone down. 5 yellows and a red later they exited all 182 fans in seats (yeah they said over 800 at the game but that ain't so) with a tie. The Legion had 5 loud supporters and I tip my hat to their noise level and ability to stand in the hot sun all game. We had 18 Supporters including three fellows who painted themselves purple. No tailgate, no beer, horrid refs (who, they tell me, are there for almost every game this year), horrid high school stadium behind the school on a sleepy two lane road, 1.7 miles from the nearest 7-11. Almost as bad as Plant City Stadium and the VSI joke, almost.
    We only had 8 supporters in Pittsburgh but the reception from the Steel Army was great. No food at tailgate but beer and friendship. Great stadium for the 2000 fans who showed up. BUT the locals didn't seem to notice that the river really smells bad. Trains pass on both sides of the pitch during the game and they are very loud. They serve beer, bathrooms are clean there is a bar at the north end. Also, get a GA ticket and stand on the riverside, you are maybe 5 feet from the field and can really get into the game, you can't see the big screen TV replays but it is the best "seat" in the league.
    Ready for Richmond next month.

mbsc repped this.
  22. Oranje Chad

Oranje Chad New Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Dutch Lions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the tip of the cap to the 5 Oranje Legion members who braved the sun against your Orlando side. I was impressed with the Orlando/Ruckus contingent in the opposite bleachers. I can tell you that the reported attendance for the match was probably a combined total for the double-header. They weren't selling single-game tickets that day.

23. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear that there's even an AO Dayton happening too! That's good news!

24. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Haha guess we're so used to it it doesn't phase us. If you can believe it the rivers used to be worse. It's been a long recovery from the steel mill days, but they are getting better every year.

25. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vesty, We have an orange juice factory here and we don't notice it, however guest say it is overpowering. Everyone has a local company or factory that they get use to but man did the river have a kick to it. Great to see you had a full house for the game against Wigan and we look forward to seeing you all next year. Coming down for the game 3 Aug.