USL PRO teams

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Mikey mouse, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ weren't you just telling us about this Affiliate league thing???

Seems that "not pursing any other division" means not D3, but this Affiliate level may still be open.

3. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    WHat I would guess is the league is just exploring all possible alternatives at this point. I'm guessing they will try to do something to convince USSF to put the "provisional" tag back on for 2011. Failing that, who would really care at the end of the day if the league were to release a statement saying,

"We have worked hard over the last 6 months to meet USSF's requirements and obtain D2 sanctioning. Unfortunately, we did not have the time necessary to meet all of these standards in time to kick off our 2011 season. At this time, we have carefully reviewed all options and determined the best course of action for our teams and fans is to secure D3 sanctioning from the USSF for NASL for the 2011 season. But we want to reaffirm our commitment to the goal of operating a D2 sanctioned league in North America and the Caribbean, and will be working hard to fulfill all USSF D2 santioning requirements by the start of the 2012 season."

I mean really, outside of those of us who spend time on these types of forums, how many fans would know or care about the difference? And as for potential future investors, the small window of time to get a brand new league off the ground in time for 2011 would be an easy excuse to sell, especially if the league follows through on working with each individual team on marketing and sales and attendance figures are decent. There isn't anyone who was already thinking about attending NASL games who is going to say, gee, they have to operate in 2011 as D3 instead of D2, that does it, I'm not going to any games!

4. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    This is my favorite part of the press release: "We have invested a lot of time, energy and resources over the past four years to establish a proper team-owned and governed professional second division soccer league and separate ourselves from the instability and annual team turnover of USL, the former second division."

How, exactly, has the NASL separated themselves from the instability and team turnover of the USL? Vancouver, Portland, and Montreal are all bolting for MLS, Rochester and Austin left for USL-PRO, and Crystal Palace Baltimore and AC St. Louis went bye-bye. On top of that, the USSF declined to sanction the league. Yes, this indeed is a league that is stable and has no turnover (read sarcasm here). Good lord, these people are delusional. I'm not saying the USL is perfect at all, but the NASL has none of the stability they criticized the USL for lacking (which is true, the USL had too much turnover, but the NASL clearly has NOT remedied that problem).

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Could be, wasnt my idea just what a few people were speculating while I was at the USL combine when the news broke yesterday.

Not sure how the USSF affiliate thing would be seen but I doubt it would be full schedule (more like a a couple month long tournament) and I doubt clubs would keep the same budget for that type of thing.

it would keep the clubs alive but would they be able to keep players and fans. I dont know know how this would effect the Traffic supported teams like Carolina, ATL, and Minnesota.

6. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    This may eventually lead to what some on here have said, the USSF getting everybody together and basically saying "Play nice or else." The major players of the old TOA are either out of the picture (Cooper) or in deep you-know-what (so much that Traffic had to bankroll half the league), and the NASL really doesn't have any more cards to play. Personally, I don't see how they thought they could pull this off.

I'd still like to see a D2 league; however, I want to see it begun from scratch. Wait until the smoke clears from all of this, and then work with potential owners for a year or two to form a league (or leagues: East/West, American/National, Beavis/Butthead (sorry, couldn't help myself :D), etc.,) with 8-12 teams that is strictly regional, with little or no inter-conference/league play, and have a big ol' slam-bang national D2 championship with the conference/league champs going head-to-head. Use the new D2 rules, and put something together that will have some staying power, that won't always be referred to in the press as the "financially struggling 'Whatever' Soccer League." Sure, it won't be easy, but it will be better than having Traffic prop up half the league just so they can say they have eight teams. If the NASL somehow pulls this off, it will be interesting to see if they can last the whole season with all teams intact.

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

Good idea, and IMHO the USSF should manage D2 and D3 soccer, no more NASL, no more USL, just the USSF awarding franchises to teams meeting the requirements

8. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know Tampa was in USL then they defected and were in USL division last year. All I have to say it's a freakin mess.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats not a twist, thats just a typical Rochester media person who loves to either make things up or just stir crap up.

Personally, I don't like the idea of Traffic owning half the league, but I don't see why USSF has such a problem with it. If MLS can do it for years with intent to diversify, why can't NASL/Traffic?

I don't quite get what USSF is hoping to accomplish. It seems if anything they will push all minor league teams back to USL. Isn't that what we had already?

11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I don't know seems to me USSF doesn't want a stable soccer pyramid ans it's kind of ironic they gave NASL the D2 standards 6 months ago, how come they didn't give it when the league formed back in 2009.

12. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "seems to me USSF doesn't want a stable soccer pyramid"

Honestly, the amount of shit that comes out of your mouth I'm amazed you haven't choked to death.

13. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how is not sanctioning NASL/D2 help in that matter. Stability takes time not 3 months yes 3 months back in Nov 21, 2010 USSF provisionally sanctioned NASL.

14. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could ask how giving NASL the label of D2 helping anything?

Why is waiting a year or two for the NASL to stabilize before they get D2 status so taboo? USSF finally toughened up with their standards, NASL didn't meet them... USSF grew a pair, and didn't cave, says sorry go for D3 this year try again for D2 next year.... I don't see the fault in that.

as already stated the difference between USL PRO and NASL is negligible right now... they are essentially on the same level... when NASL gets stuff in order next year or the year after, and really starts to separate themselves from USL they will be D2.

15. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    somebody gave the NASL just enough rope... and they've gone and hung themselves.. well done. We expected nothing less.

16. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But look what has happened in those 3 months. The league has taken over ownerhship of one team / Minnesota and another team's ownership has dissolved / Carolina (it looks like Traffic will become majority owners). Those factors hardly provide confidence. I think back in the fall the NASL was moving towards meeting the requirements and these items pushed them backwards. I think USSF is saying you don't meet the requirements to be a d2 league. They aren't saying they can't be a league, just not a D2 one. They have implied that they will more then likely meet the D3 guidelines.

And not sure how a reporter's opinion/Devo is a new twist. He's just saying "Hey, I think if NASL doesn't move forward the USL should consider adding these two teams for the 2011 schedule. Personally, I would prefer that they don't add any additional teams for 2011 and go with what they have now. The schedule is set, let's see these teams get out there and start selling season tickets.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not really. USSF has already said they're not sanctioning them at D2 this year without major changes. Changes NASL won't be able to make. If NASL won't drop to D3 (which I suspect is what USSF want to put them back on even footing with USL), then they won't play. Either way, D2 soccer is not happening in the US in 2011. Which is fine, this mess wasn't very appetizing nor was it good for US soccer in the long run anyway.

18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I meant more as to the watching Bigsoccer than what NASL or USSF will do.

Just look at some of the post over the last couple days! Tinfoil hats, conspiracies, shots in the dark and just plain crazy!

It will be interesting to see if there is a united front with NASL or if some teams get cold feet and if NASL resends their statement about not applying for anyother divisional sanctioning.

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we know half the teams won't get cold feet (the ones owned by Traffic). As for the others, one is leaving for MLS and won't care... which leaves 3 teams that might "break ranks", assuming their ownerships hang around long enough to break ranks. Edmonton likely won't play a game due to their financials (or lack there of)... so if anyone is going to break ranks it'll be PR. The Islanders have the most to lose from this fiasco. I'd give it a few weeks then they'll bail to USL Pro so that they can try and salvage their Champions League berth even if it means joining a league with several of their new cross island rivals. And once PR is gone the house of cards will collapse in Traffic's lap.

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's odd. I wonder why they decided to have 2 vs 2 for the wild card instead of 3 vs 3. I mean, I can see some reasons, but none that really seem to outweigh the reasons for 3 vs 3.

22. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    If it was 3 vs 3, then the #1 seeds would face the #2 seeds. Having them face #3 is easier for them, and more of an incentive to earn a higher seed during the reg season.

This playoff format is better because now it won't conflict with the CCL. The poor Islanders and Impact had to play 3 games in 1 week because of the playoffs in years past.