USL PRO teams

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Mikey mouse, Oct 7, 2010.

1. brandonsoccerfan

brandonsoccerfan New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I have a lot of respect for the USL when it comes to TV. They had PDL, WPS and USL-2 finals on FSC this year, and they said previously they hope to go back to what they had with USL-1 before. Maybe not weekly, but close to it. The casual viewer won't see it as D-3 soccer, but just as "minor-league" soccer and I'm sure they will have re-runs, which helps for exposure.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im hearing we should have the schedule tomorrow, barring any issues.

I was surprised though when looking at the press releases archives for the schedule release, this season is actually earlier than in the past.

3. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, no 16th team then? Or is that announcement coming, too?

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldnt tell you for sure. I know the teams have the schedules but can't release them yet. I also know there were a few changes made since they hashed out the first draft in Nov. but that typically happens.

I imagine tomorrow will be a busy day.

5. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray New Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, if you didn't see Tim Holt announce it on Center Circle on FSC this evening, I guess I can tell you now that it will be 15 teams in 2011.

We hope to release the schedules at 3 p.m. tomorrow afternoon.

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cant say Im too surprised it seemed to be getting late in the game for a "new" club.

Im going to assume something must not of worked out after Holt was quoted as 16 in several interviews.

Unfortuantely my cable provider stopped carring FSC so I miss alot of the TV media. It probably saved my marriage in hindsight, as I spend way too much time following soccer.

I wish someone that was more tech savvy than me would put up a Youtube channel with USL videos clips.....full length videos of the "USL breakaways" would be great to put up on USLlive as well.

Im excited for the release. We are going to wedding in England in July. Hopefully the schedule is favorable and I can sway her a day or two one way the other if I need to. Also the Regiment is planning a couple road trips next year and the sooner we can book buses the better.

7. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray New Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The 16th team, from what I understand, wasn't really much of a last-minute deal, which is why we had the expectation that Tim voiced that there would be 16 teams in the league.

I think in past year's we would just have said, well you're not completely organized but we'll let you in anyway, which in a way would have set that team up to fail instantly.

It certainly seems as though those higher up than I are being far more stringent now in who gets in and who doesn't, which hopefully leads to more stability in the long-term for our professional league's franchises.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thats a good thing. The business of soccer is hard enough without putting up road blocks for yourself by not being prepared. Things like hiring knowledgeable staff, selling season tickets, lining up sponsors take time. They will have ample time now to make it happen.

9. soccerfan247

soccerfan247 New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After making a quick run through of the schedule, it looks like travel to the Caribbean for all teams outside of their division will be minimized. They play each other team twice (except they play Rochester three times, which is rather strange), with only 5 games against Caribbean teams. Another oddity of this schedule: why do they play Barracuda twice but not LA at all?

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  12. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Analysis:

Home-Away
    Richmond Kickers
    Charlotte Eagles
    FC New York
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Rochester Rhinos*
    Harrisburg City Islanders
    Charleston Battery
    Dayton Dutch Lions
    Wilmington Hammerheads
    FC Barracuda of Antigua

Home
    Puerto Rico United
    Sevilla FC Puerto Rico

Away
    River Plate Puerto Rico

*one extra away game against Rochester.
    Also note the Home-Away with one Caribbean team.

This is looking very strongly like a schedule that someone suggested earlier with all the US teams playing in one conference and the Caribbeans in another. Even if the conferences aren't aligned that way the schedule certainly is.

Also, what happened to LA?

13. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Release is out: http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gp::72013+L3/Display+E+NDX+NDX+492818

Schedule is here: http://www.uslsoccer.com/docs/2011 USL PRO Schedule.pdf

14. Electrifying

Electrifying Red Card

Nov 27, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Plenty of fish in Antigua (lol),

no, seriously, this is gonna cost some BIG money

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An email from the Battery front office contained a chart with the Battery schedule. Next to two of the dates were the letters "tv" the Friday July 1st match against Puerto Rico United and the Battery season finale against the Charlotte Eagles on Friday, August 12. so it seems there will be at least two regular season matches on FSC.

17. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    Anybody know why River Plate have most of their games scheduled for Toms River North HS in NJ or is that just a USL ooopsie?

18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

got to be an Ooopsie. I remember somewhere their was a link to the stadium they will play in and it didnt look too bad.

19. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Yes, its an oopsie. The scumbags will play either in San Juan (capital) or in Fajardo (eastern town). They are expected to announce their official stadium soon.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is USL trying to destroy the growth of soccer in the US by having a SA team just to rival NASL?

21. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is NASL trying to destroy the growth of soccer in the US by having a SA team just to rival USL?

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize that SS&E have been looking at putting a team in San Antonio for three years right?

23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im sure the info is dated but this is on the team page

Maybe someone on the island can tell us if the city is in the process of repairing those facitlies yet or not?

also I know Sevilla is moving to a Soccer specific stadium in Juncos, what is the latest progress on that front.

24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please don't confuse him with facts. Yes, Marcos was on the grassy knoll. LOL

25. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With the amount of crap that comes out of your mouth, I'm surprised you haven't choked to death yet.