USL on the block

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by TwoMeters, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction: Matt Reis hasn't retired yet. It was Jay Heaps. Reis is just out for 4-6 months so the Revs leaving their backup goalkeeper unprotected so that Philly Union could get them wasn't such a good idea at all.

2. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From where I stand we are truly blessed to have the ownership that we do.

I have faith in Phil and in his, and his office's, ability to get the franchise where it needs to be in order to play pro football come the spring of 2010. PERIOD

3. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inside Minnesota Soccer has a very interesting scoop on a big meeting going down today (sun, 12/6/09) with representatives from every possible party from this whole USL/TOA drama. See for yourself here.

4. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Hey, they stole Aztex Amber's trademark!
    (I saw that in KingQueso's link)

5. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    Hate to bring this up but if the USL-1 doesn't have enough teams to field a league, and the NASL adopts an MLS-like ownership structure (with the league co-opting player rights) then will the Aztex continue to play in 2010? The reason I ask is because Aztex are an admitted reserve team for Stoke City, and therefore would be unwilling to surrender any player contact rights.

6. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not a reserve team, they're an affiliated team. Big difference.

As far as I know, Phil went with USL-1 for 4 reasons when he started the team:

1) Cheaper barrier to entry - while Phil is a very well off man, 40 million dollars to get into MLS was more than he was willing to pay
    2) We're a small market - We're only about 1 million people in the greater metro area, and UT is by far the King around here. Phil decided to start a second division franchise because it made more sense for the area
    3) Phil wanted to develop talent to help the US (and Stoke) generally - That's a lot harder to do in a top division.
    4) MLS' player ownership rules - Given that we are a feeder for Stoke (and Rayados), MLS' rather draconian player registration rules weren't something Phil wanted to deal with.

So unless the TOA decides to embrace the MLS' player ownership structure (and I've not seen any mention of that), I don't know that there would be a barrier for Aztex joining the NASL, subject, of course, to contractual resolution with the USL.

7. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    Good breakdown, I agree with you. I bet they are waiting to make sure player contract rights are not affected before they join NASL. Also, there is probably a contractual issue regarding the $500 K ante paid to USL-1. If the league folds, the deposit will likely be refunded. But if the Aztex leave before the USL-1 folds, they forfeit the registration.

8. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very surprised if the NASL ownership (the team owners) decides to have the same player contract structure as MLS. Having the league own the contracts, even though the league is owned by the individual team owners, would be a contradiction to their stated goals of individual teams have ownership in the league (a states rights v. federal rights type of thing).

Additionally, if the Aztex left USL1 for the 2010 season without being let out of their contractual obligations, then they would be in teh same position as Tampa Bay, Baltimore and potentially Rochester; in violation of a contract to provide services in 2010, and, doing so by leaving for a direct competitor.

I've not heard anything from Phil regarding this weekend's meetings. Rob Clark, former NASL hater, now an apparent NASL lover, stated that nothing of great import happened. However, he received that information via folks who were there representing the NASL, not as a result of being there himself.

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of in line with the topic. St. Louis announced this week the hiring of their new manager, along with the teams name and logo. If you missed it, the manager is Claude Anelka, who is the brother of Chelsea's Nicolas Anelka.

In May 2008, the British newspaper The Guardian ran a list of the Top 10 Worst Football Managers Ever. You guessed it #9 was Claude Anelka. Below is the write up from The Guardian...

In 2004, tired of engineering transfers for his restless brother Nicolas and fed up with 'the crazy things' he saw managers do, agent and DJ Claude Anelka decided he wanted to be a boss himself. With a 'mystery' backer, he offered £300,000 to any lower-league club who would let him be manager, and got a bite at Raith Rovers, in Scottish Division One. Citing Cruyff, Wenger and the boss of Chinawhite nightclub as influences, his philosophy and signings - some from the Paris seven-a-side leagues - brought Rovers just one point from 24 before he stepped aside.

11. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19454366&postcount=9

12. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure he can't manage, but STL half times will be bumpin' yo.

13. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    As I posted back on Nov 11. :D

14. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Division 2 pro league set for 2010
    U.S. Soccer will oversee two-conference league

US Soccer News Release - www.ussoccer.com

Thursday, January 7, 2010

CHICAGO, IL -- The U.S. Soccer Federation, United Soccer Leagues (USL) and the North American Soccer League (NASL) have come to an agreement on the formation and operation of a Division 2 professional soccer league for the 2010 season. Under the agreement, U.S. Soccer will oversee the league for the 2010 season, working with both the USL and NASL on the day-to-day league activities.

The agreement pertains only to the 2010 season, and during the next year U.S. Soccer will continue to work with USL and NASL to build a long-term solution for the future. U.S. Soccer will also be developing new standards to govern Division 2 professional league applicants to ensure the long term viability and sustainability of the leagues and teams.

“We are extremely pleased that we were able to come to a solution that ensures we will have Division 2 professional soccer in the United States in 2010,” said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. “This agreement allows us to continue to develop the professional game in many important markets around the country, while at the same time working towards the long-term stability of Division 2 professional soccer. I’d like to thank the representatives from both the USL and NASL for the time spent during our negotiations, especially their efforts in the past seven days.”

The league will consist of two six-team conferences – the USL Conference and the NASL Conference. The USL Conference will include teams from Austin, Minnesota, Portland, Puerto Rico, Rochester and Tampa Bay. The NASL Conference will consist of teams from Baltimore, Carolina, Miami, Montreal, St. Louis and Vancouver.

In the near future, U.S. Soccer will announce details of the new league, including league rules, a match schedule, television rights and other important operational issues.

Additional Comments - USL CEO Alec Papadakis:

“We are pleased to have a solution that will provide fans the continued presentation of an elite caliber of professional soccer in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. While some differences remain, the one common agreement was that everyone must play this season, and we are happy that we were able to work with US Soccer to find a compromise for the upcoming 2010 season.”

“The quality of play on the pitch has risen sharply over the past few years and will no doubt provide for an exciting campaign yet again in 2010.”

16. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the USL Conference and the NASL Conference. The USL Conference will include teams from Austin, Minnesota, Portland, Puerto Rico, Rochester and Tampa Bay.

Any one fancy Puerto Rico AWAY

17. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder which is farther away: Montreal or Portland?
    It's a shame that it looks like a 2-day drive to get to any away game.

All-right y'all, how 'bout this: we stop off for a night of food & fun in New Orleans and then rock the stands the next night in Tampa or Carolina?

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All teams will be playing each other, according to a couple reports on today's news conference. So we actually have a slightly closer rival this year - St. Louis. And, despite the derailing on the way home from vacation, it might be entertaining to take the train up there. Leaves daily in the morning, arrives in St. Louis the next day. As long as there aren't any tornadoes in Arkansas. Yeah, I have some entertaining stories from the past couple weeks.

As to the future, I think the odds are pretty high that Cooper and the NASL will get itself organized over the next 6 months, and last year will have been the last for USL1.

19. mrjabba

mrjabba New Member

May 17, 2008
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I kinda like both those ideas: St Louis and Tampa. Hmmm.

Hey. Since we're not NASL this year (who knows what will happen next year), maybe a tormenting chat when we play a NASL team can be to pronounce their league as (Nasal)..Naaaaasssaaaaal...Naaaaasssaaaaal..then maybe something more rude after that..

20. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of chanting "U.S.L." "U.S.L." "U.S.L"

sort of like Sam's Army chanting "Soc-cer" Soc-cer" "Soc-cer" at the USA-England match.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys realize there is a pretty big chance that in 2011, Austin will be in the NASL, right? Its sorta like Portland or Vancouver fans making fun of how stupid MLS is.

22. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least one of the two people you were commenting to does know that it might happen.

23. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Mr. Johnson would say. " What else ya gonna do on a Saturday. Puert Rico Away. Love it!!!" :D

An hey I've heard not but good things about St. Louis, an the part it's had ta play in U.S soccer History.

24. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    900 miles is still pretty far (14 hours by car, per Google Maps), but if one of their Aztex games was a double-header, give or take a day, with a Hope Solo, er, I mean Athletica game, then ...

25. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is exactly what I was thinking!