News: USL/NASL discussion thread (continued)

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by SoccerPrime, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly - you can never trust MLSR - so he should post the link with his quote.

2. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick modification to your post here....

3. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Heh. Yeah, they are a joke. I pointed out on their site that they stole the original story from MLS News about NASL being registered by the US patent office (MLSR claimed it was an original). Of course, they banned me for pointing that out and deleted my post.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly - never read that.

5. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually it was USLnews.com...

I hope NASL gets a website up and running before Christmas good time to promote the league and buy gifts and stuff.

6. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're way behind, that was posted yesterday

7. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. I'll delete.

8. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if that sounded like it was being a dick. I wasn't trying to be. This thread is gaining like 10 pages a day

9. HogHoopFan

HogHoopFan Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Fayettnam
    I would hope to see USL1 and USL2 combine.

10. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to admit, I was very surprised to hear about Charleston, and think that more than anything else is a sign that there is Big Trouble in Little China. For me, personally, I'm all for what will be the most stable and successful business. As I see it, both sides have issues. Is the USL too conservative? Possibly. Is the "NASL" too reckless? Also possibly.

I find it interesting that Charleston chose to drop down rather than switch. It will be interesting to see if other USL1 teams do the same.

[Deep breath/sigh]

On the other hand, and I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but in terms of the whole pro/rel discussion, I'm not sure that what is happening in the US second division is going to have an impact on whether the US gets the World Cup in 2018/22. We're talking about a handful of moderately successful teams at the second division level, and some other not as successful teams, arguing about how to run a league. Other than Portland and Vancouver, I'm not sure it will have any significant impact on MLS, the Fed, etc.

Not that it doesn't have a major impact on those teams (and their fans) involved - obviously it does. And obviously, a good solid second division is an asset to the development of the game. So I'm not trying to say it is completely irrelevant because it certainly isn't.

But FIFA is going to choose where to host the World Cup based on $$$ and how successful the event is going to be, not whether the league looks like what most European leagues have.

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no, no worries. I went back seven or so pages and didn't see a reference to it, so I posted it asking that question because it certainly seemed big enough news to be in this thread. We're cool.

Thanks for clarifying, though - it has been good to see some folk calm down in this thread. Frankly, it is too important to get bogged down in some of the drivel that can pop up on Big Soccer. Anyone is welcome to ask me to back off and tone down if I get hot under the collar.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a hint, change your setting to 25 posts per page- its still 44 pages.

13. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    If I may interject a few legalisms -

Firstly, FIFA would not have a bearing on any of these league as their by laws specifically limit their contact to the respective federations. In this case US Soccer or optionally, the Canadian Soccer Association.

Secondly, if the USL's law suit against Tampa Bay is for breach of contract - failing to play the 2010 season in USL 1 - their counter may very well be that the league they joined was considerably altered (i.e. 10 clubs) from when they opted to participate in the other (NASL) league - largely composed of a quarem from that said (USL) league.

This fact in itself may nullify the contract obligation.

Lastly, while my friend Flavio was historically correct about FIFA not challenging Steve Zungel from playing outdoor soccer in the US - it is important to know that neither Zungel or his club participated in FIFA sanctioned events from that point on. In fact the NASL was insovent within 2 years. (coincidence ? I think not)

In fact, a large contention of the old NASL was that international player were seldom, if ever, released for national duty. The USA often fielded amateurs for international matches as NASL players (even bench warmers) were not released.

This has changed quite a bit as since 1990 - US Soccer has a massive financial interest in the FIFA World Cup, it's Qualfying process and hosting international games.

America's international "temperature" has been raised to the critical point where the basis of its existance is firmly associated with its FIFA identity. This is one factor that has led the MLS to stop play next summer for the World Cup and that international players be available.

edit: I would add that without FIFA's sanctioning there would be no tours by Manchester Utd., Chelsea, Barcelona or Real Madrid to the USA. These are huge paydays for the league and its clubs.

14. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strictly because our second division can't get it's crap together? Seems a bit harsh.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You are an idiot. That's not flaming, or a personal attack. Just an assessment given the facts at hand.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we have hit all sorts of limits and records with this thread. I think it got us at least to the new name of the TOA.

Thread closed.

I recommend you continue your discussions in the NASL Returns thread.

Thank you

1 person likes this.