USL General News thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by thefishy, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I heard an interview where USL president Jake Edwards said that the goal for USL-C was to be recogonized as one of the strongest 2nd division leagues in the world. If that's a true goal and not just PR, then having an average of 400 people show up for SPR matches in a stadium that holds 19,000 is not a good look.

I suspect that USL-C, now that it is up to 36 clubs and is in no imminent danger of collapse, might pressure SKC to "relegate" SPR to USL-1. I don't know if that is Peter Vermes' call or Robb Heineman's, the CEO of Sporting Club. It's hard to see a downside. Their first year SPR averaged 2400 per match. Now, they are averaging 400. SKC built the fields at Swope in partnership with the city. Would they even have to pay rent to use their own fields? If there is some cost, it wouldn't seem to be very much.

2. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    It has an effect on the table, though. When the Defiance started six Sounders against the Republic or whatever, and all the other teams in West have an easy 3 points because "development", that affects playoff position.
    I've said this before, but people wanting the reserves sides to drop to L1 telegraphs people's perception of that league (and my guess is that they don't live near one of the independent teams).

SierraSpartan repped this.
  3. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other problem is that; if the team sucks on the pitch, it doesn't matter about the attendance. Selling people on reserve squads has always been a hard sell as it is, but selling people on a reserve squad that has only won one match this season might as well be begging for 10 cent beer promotions (and we know how that turned out...).

4. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    "10 cent beer night" cracked me up. And then when I notice Homer Simpson in your avatar, I pictured SPR's kit with "Duff Beer" as the sponsor, and I laughed some more. [​IMG]

5. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL San Diego is officially a thing.

falvo repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm betting even though he is management, I'm betting Landon will play a little.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn’t shock me. What is shocking to me as a Quakes fan is I now have to begrudgingly like Baby Judas for bringing soccer to my now home town.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1483 falvo, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    I think LAndy is there mostly in name only.

9. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #36 SPR draws with #16 Charleston 1-1. OK. That's a point. Still in last place. But now they're in last place by 1 point less, so there's that.
    (...wait... SPR's goalie got a red card in the 94th minute?)

10. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    SPR! SPR! This afternoon I deliberately focused my Marianne Williamson "fan energy" in the direction of Kansas City (honest, I really did!), and voila SPR beats mid-table St.Lou 2-1 in the I-70 Derby and leaves the USLC cellar. The 531 fans witnessed the game winner in the 82nd minute, and SPR played a man down for the last 7 minutes. Have the Rangers turned the corner? I'm anticipating a great 2nd half run in the last 18 matches to get into the playoffs. Eastern Conference leaders Tampa Bay come to KC next Sunday.

11. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  12. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    SPR, which had 1 victory in their first 15 matches has picked up 2 wins in their last 3 matches ! They are 2-2-2 in their last 6 matches. They earned 9 points in their first 14 matches, and they have earned 8 points in their last 4 matches. Something's cooking in Swope Park.

13. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The coach turned back into a scruffy old soccer ball for the Swope Park Cinderellas as they lose 0-4 to Ottawa. SPR managed only 1 shot on goal. Ottawa got the game winner at 39' off the foot of former Ranger Kevin Oliveira. SPR started their youngest lineup of the season; the starting XI averaged 20.2 years and later a 17 year old entered at 83'. SPR returns to the "Cavernous Confines" of CMP for mid-table Charleston next Saturday.

14. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In terms of attendance, they are far behind the English championship and B2, somewhat behind La Segunda and slightly behind Serie B and Ligue 2, which was better than I thought.

However, catching those other leagues is really about improving the top and middle teams. Teams 24 to 36 don't even show up in the European second divisions.

15. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    SPR's Saturday match against Charleston had to be postponed. The Battery got into some kind of vehicle accident before the match. Six players were taken to a local hospital for evaluation and then released. Not much information on the web beyond the 4 sentence USLC press release.

16. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    No one can complain about your play or your attendance if you don't play a game...
    https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/022/138/ollesafeee.jpg

17. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I admit that I've been a little harsh on SPR. But I am officially on board now. I think things are coming together and they will have a better 2nd half of the season. Can they make the playoffs? I think they started too far in the hole to pull that off. But I am calling it now: SPR ~ USL-1 Champions 2020 !!

PS. For the record: I'm not the guy who went into their "2019 Season" Wikipedia page and changed all the dates from "2019" to "2018". Somebody else apparently wants a re-do on the 2019 season.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Swope_Park_Rangers_season

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but as far as name recognition goes he’s not bad. The indoor San Diego Sockers signed him for the spring and pulled in their largest gates in a very long time.

People still remember the good times when he played for the USMNT and they weren’t a joke.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can see Landy playing some USL games too.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

22. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    SPR update: My momentary euphoria when the Rangers won 2 of 3 has crashed on the rocks of 6 straight losses, during which they were outscored 18-4. Not only am I off the bandwagon, I have thrown myself under the wheels of the bandwagon. I study the standings and notice they are 0-10-2 away from the Cavernous Confines of CMP- that's the key! Next year it is crucial that they schedule no away games so that they might have chance! (Oh well.)

But I stand by my prediction: SPR - USL1 Champions 2020 !!

Blando13 repped this.
  23. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will be tough with North Texas SC around USL1.

Lewis N. Clark repped this.
  24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. Wouldn’t hurt their marketing provided he’s still got it. Keep in mind they’re likely not taking the field for another year and a half, and Landry ain’t getting any younger.

25. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    NTSC is rocking League 1. I wonder if all the other teams agree they could be forcibly promoted to USLC for next season? :whistling:

Blando13 repped this.