USL General News thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by thefishy, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting exchange on Twitter this morning.

HailtotheKing, Blando13 and C-Rob repped this.
  2. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #127 Macsen, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are amateur so more akin to the MLS U-23 teams

ThePonchat repped this.
  4. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
  5. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Some USL games are starting to show up on the ESPN 3 schedule. I'd assume some sort of announcement this week.

Attached Files:

FootySkeptic and ChinaBlue repped this.
  6. Flowercitysupporter

Sep 23, 2015
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    i was wondering when an announcement would come. when i talked with FO in January they said some matches will be broadcasted on ESPN3 but never seen an announcement about it.

7. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    http://riverhounds.com/2016/04/20/hounds-vs-orlando-city-b-to-kickoff-usl-broadcasts-on-espn3/

I still haven't seen an announcement from the league

FootySkeptic repped this.
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Macsen and Flowercitysupporter repped this.
  11. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, totally missed this.

12. Flowercitysupporter

Sep 23, 2015
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    agreed, can't wait till some of the teams get stadiums

13. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this just got dropped. It's more in the MLS Expansion category, but it does impact the USL side of expansion.

To recap, Detroit City FC has started talking with the parties interested in MLS to Detroit

14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pistons owner and Cavs owner are the interested parties.

15. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    According to the article on MLSsoccer.com the owners said that the new team would "Complement" the minor league teams. That is a nice way of saying theirs will not be associated.

16. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they brought them in as their MLS2 team? Did something similar to Houston where another ownership group did tickets/marketing/stadium activities and the MLS team provided the players ... they could start as an affiliate and grow from there. I'm sure the DCFC folks wouldn't mind getting some players paid for if their plan is to move up anyways ... and there would be some joint marketing efforts instead of a "battle". That could be complementary. I'm sure the MLS owners wouldn't mind the DCFC fans to be at least "on board" with the MLS team.

17. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all the clubs in the US, I can't imagine the current DCFC supporters being amenable to that setup.

18. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some less financed ownership groups (like DCFC) may be smart enough to realize how they can make professional soccer work under their current ownership group ... and this may be it.

19. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if you gave DCFC a choice between being a professional reserve team to Detroit MLS and staying amateur, they'd stay amateur. Nothing wrong with staying amateur.

Sam U El repped this.
  20. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, nothing at all. And if that's their choice, I'd have no problem with it. It just sounded like they wanted to move up to be professional. And with an ownership group that's not well financed, you never know what concessions they'd make to get it done. They're smart guys ... not sure if they'll let pride get in the way ... and to be honest, I don't know what (if anything) is being offered/discussed with the ownership group of NBA owners.

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think you two are talking about two different things: DCFC ownership and the fan groups. There are obviously a lot of connections but they have differences.

The owners of DCFC might be interested in working with the MLS group. They talk about moving up but also about staying authentic and maintaining the supporter groups as their base. It is hard to see how that would work as a subsidiary of a MLS team. But they they might think they can make it work. They could not be a MLS2 team, though, and I'd be surprised if they want the MLS group to use their name.

A lot, maybe most, of the fans of DCFC will rebel at anything suggesting that their club is a reserve team. I don't see them ever being in favor of any of this.

Sam U El repped this.
  22. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but if the new ownership group worked with DCFC and brought them in as club ambassadors or something and the DCFC fans became the base of the MLS supporters, they'd still be DCFC supporters of a non reserve team ... and they'd be the ones that actually went to the DCFC2 games as well potentially. Lot of different ways it could play out, hope it's amicable.

23. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could really be easy for the DCFC ownership group. They "sell" their branding (or share) with the MLS group, the MLS group pays the salaries for the DCFC (USL) players. The DCFC owners operate the game day experience, they sell tickets, they have financial backing to make upgrades to the stadium (over what they'll already do) from MLS owners, they can use all/most incoming profit to be used to fund their adult leagues. DCFC fans become the MLS fans as well as the DCFC fans. It could be very easy if all of them want to work together. Sure there will be some fans that don't like it, but if you're a fan of the club and the owner of that club says this is what's best ... don't you have to understand and keep rooting? Some of those DCFC fans should take pride in the fact that their support of DCFC help make this a great expansion option for MLS and carry the torch similar to OCFC fans and others that have moved up.

I don't know ... maybe that's all pretty glass half full, but I don't see a huge deal (admittedly from afar).

24. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
  25. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louisville, Cincy, SA I'm sure that offer works for you guys as well... I'm just saying. :sneaky:

Major League Soccer Announces That Detroit Can Skip Having A Stadium If They Give The League 750 Million Dollars

Detroit, MI - Major League Soccer announced an addendum to the league stipulation of a stadium for expansion if the Detroit bid will, "Just give the league 750 million dollars instead."

Reportedly the league has required a stadium for all new expansions but realized the value in just allowing a team to go ahead and play anyway after getting a truck load of money from the New York City FC expansion operator group.

"A stadium is good, so are fans, but money is better," stated commissioner of Major League Soccer Don Garber. "I don't want to speak out of turn but if 750 million dollars just showed up in our bank account, Detroit FC could start playing next year. Shit, we will do a deal with the Tigers, give them a small cut in on ownership and get Detroit Football Club to indefinitely play at Comerica Park just like we did with NYCFC. That way they can hammer out underhanded and backhanded deals with the local government for about 10 to 20 years while we hammer out articles like, 'Is the Detroit FC stadium coming soon?!' on our website. It'll be the Revolution and D.C. United all over again."

:whistling: