USL General News thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by thefishy, Sep 28, 2014.

1. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well USL has mentioned that they could go pro/rel well down the road once they have reached whatever it is that equals stability for them.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    m vann and 2in10 repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    At least they got one thing right! :D

aetraxx7 repped this.
  4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like this reorganization and tightening of the brand. I didn't like how the upcoming uSL D3 League was kind of on its own namingwise (without a USL D2 League above it). This USL move makes things neater.

I'll go look this up, but I didn't see anything on he PDL. I'm assuming that's going to be rebranded as well?

5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch the video in the tweet I linked. PDL will now be branded USL League Two.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  6. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh. Haha. I just rolled out of bed. *goes to check it out*

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Give us time.

The CSA is progressively pulling away from USSF leagues. It started with all Ontario teams in PDL except one. There's a plan for the rest.

As for USL, Ottawa's days are numbered and the CSA imposed a moratorium on new US sanction.

Nice rebrand... to think people were mocking the CPL for using the name "Premier League" (which most countries attached to the commonwealth use "premiership or premier league). This is rather amusing ;)

Sounders78 repped this.
  8. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is the plan to have USL League 2 eventually become the official 4th division?

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t kick that idea out of bed, but probably not.

2in10 repped this.
  10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Probably not. USL is still referring to League 2 as "the Path to Pro". The USSF only has divisions for pro leagues. Frankly, I don't see how or why the USSF would have lower standards for a professional league than what they have right now for the 3rd division.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not sure I follow...

12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The USSF has Professional League Standards for Division 1, 2, and 3. That's it. Each of those divisions have increasing standards that have to be met. There can be multiple leagues within each division as long as they meet the standards. That's what the division labels mean here since there is no promotion/relegation system.

Anything that doesn't fall into the category of a pro league is sanctioned through the United States Adult Soccer Association. Whether they pay their players or not the USSF considers those "amateur" teams. Some people refer to leagues like the PDL and NPSL as 4th division but they are not. There is no 4th division according to the USSF.

For a league to officially be 4th division the USSF would have to create standards for a 4th professional division presumably with lower standards than what exists for D3 right now.

Here are the D3 standards. I guess they could reduce or remove the net worth standard for a D4 owner but what else would they lower?

Burr and Robert Borden repped this.
  13. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USSF could create a 4th division (and beyond) -- amateur division(s).

2in10 repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1189 m vann, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Good on the USL for the rebrand / restructure. It was needed to tie up the loose ends and really have more of tiered structure under one umbrella to further legitimize itself in the pyramid of US Soccer. I’ll be honest I am way more excited about the expansion and development of the USL than MLS. I think MLS will take care of itself and eventually become a true top division that can compete globally. I believe once the USL has all its ducks in a row - starting with the restructure - it will become the real developer of talent in this country. It will become a major and needed pipeline that can feed players to MLS or just in general become a respectable destination to have a professional career. I love that fact promotion and relegation seems to be in play down the road. I would assume that timetable is within 3-5 years and only between USL Championship and USL League One. I’m curious to see how this all shapes up. With 35 USL Championship clubs there will be some movement like the Richmond Kickers down a division. There is a map on the video that pinpoints the cities and the appropriate league if you’re good at geography.

2in10 repped this.
  15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They could but they would have to change the whole structure of the PLS. The particular division standards are only part of it. The whole thing is built around professional leagues.

I'm skeptical that the USSF would want to start sanctioning amateur leagues. Why would they want to do that? Just to have a "4th Division"?

The thing that would really drive a 4th division would be if the USL actually starts doing promotion/relegation AND they want to have smaller leagues at each level as part of that. If not then they can just keep creating conferences at each division level that act like separate leagues. Right now the USL East and West are pretty much two different leagues, both D2, that have a championship game. There may be three conferences like that next year. League One (formerly USL D3) is supposed to be set up the same way. They don't need to have different divisions for them if they run side-by-side.

AshfieldK and 2in10 repped this.
  16. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of right now it appears there will be at least 36 for 2019. Penn FC is rumored to be moving down to League One after this season and Ottawa has supposedly decided to stay in Championship through 2019.

It will be interesting to see if more teams move down after the season ends and what new teams will join in 2020.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By my count last week, which included expansion USL clubs and the already announced departures (MLS / League One), the league stood at 37 clubs for 2019. So that leaves 2 clubs to announce departures to League One if the press release is indeed correct about 35 clubs. Penn FC is one I’ve heard, too. It wouldn’t surprise me to see another MLS club’s second team move down a la TFC II. It’s also rumored that the Championship witll move to a more regionalized 3-Conference (East, Central, West) setup. I hope so because that makes sense, too.

2in10 repped this.
  18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Only if they stop using NCAA/NAIA players.

There is no 4th division in U.S. soccer.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should / Could using college players stop USL Legaue Two from being the recognized 4th division if USL Clubs (under current rules) can sign a player under the “USL Academy Contract” and play them in league matches whiile still maintaining their collegiate eligibility?

20. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see the 3 conference alignment also. We had a road trip earlier this season that covered over 5,000 miles in 2 weeks. Cost savings and wear and tear from travel would be good.

I have to agree I would not be surprised to see other teams drop. The announcement did say 35+. That may mean they know of another team looking to drop or Ottawa is going to move to the CPL after this season.

21. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

Lansing Ignite, Lansing United
    United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. A 4th (5th, 6th, etc) only makes sense to accommodate an overwhelming number of professional teams that cannot be fit into existing leagues and sort them by level-of-play. And that is fantasy right now. Cool fantasy, but fantasy.

song219, Blando13 and 2in10 repped this.
  23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...league-confirms-new-branding-league-structure

President Edwards addresses pro/rel:
    Additionally, a “League Cup” will be added in 2020 between Championship and League One Cubs:

eckeric and 2in10 repped this.
  24. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1200 m vann, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    I’m assuming due to their short season that may not be possible. Also the quotes from Edwards lays it out and says it’s a Cup that will play a role in determining if League One sides can hang with Championship sides. In turn it will be a better gage if pro/rel can work.

EPJr and Blando13 repped this.