USL General News thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by thefishy, Sep 28, 2014.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You're barking up a tree at a deaf squirrel.

Todorojo repped this.
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2in10 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  3. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    This is actually kind of my point. I don't think a "small market" school can grow its fanbase in any meaningful way (outside alumni and the local area) except by competing for national championships. The University of Miami had no national following to speak of prior to the 80's and a modestly sized private university isn't exactly going to cultivate a huge fan base naturally unless they go on a run like the Hurricanes did.

But that costs a lot of money that I'm having a hard time picturing these former FCS schools shelling out. Miami at least had a large local population to draw from (albeit unreliable), which Boone and Statesboro can't exactly fall back on.

I don't disagree with this at all, but it also doesn't exactly contradict my statement. I am glad that leagues are vetting ownership groups more now than in the past, which means that we will hopefully see much more stability, but the map isn't exactly flush with professional soccer teams, yet.

I do hope that endeavors like USL D3 can provide a more sustainable model that would make investors see a better ROI than, say, a boat or a ponzi scheme or a burning dumpster to place their money. That would make a huge difference.

2in10 repped this.
  4. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team is beyond dookie this season, so I don't know how they'll fare against even weaker opposition. Plus, I don't know how expenses will be in USL 3, so maybe this is just so Toronto FC has a reserve team that doesn't embarrass itself nightly (though they did draw with FC Cincinnati, although that's an indictment of Cincy having an awful night).

Dunno why they can't just shut down the reserve squad like Vancouver and Montreal did and, say, prop up Rochester as an affiliate squad.

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rhinos might also end up in USL3...we'll need to wait and see

2in10 repped this.
  6. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    If a whole lot of reserve squads move down to D3 would it be that different from D2, currently? Although it begs the question of how this is any better than the old, lamented reserve league.

7. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Of course when they joined the USL it was D3, so maybe that's the level they wanted them, anyway.

8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole D2/D3 designations are worthless. There's not THAT much of a gap in any of the "divisions" anyway.

Look at what USL did after NASL shutdown, they yanked up the players and then that shoved many USL players out of the system altogether.

But, of course having the 2/B teams are valuable AND different than a regular "reserve league." More teams is always a good thing for US soccer. Limiting travel is a HUGE benefit to budgets, local rivalries, and again roster numbers.

Zamphyr, Blando13 and 2in10 repped this.
  9. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Not sure I agree with this: the divisions do provide a baseline as to what level of investment is required and the USOC seems to highlight the gaps between the divisions.

For sure, the distinction between NASL as D2 and USL as D3 was blurry, but that was an unusual situation where both leagues were intended to fill the same spot in the pyramid, even though neither of them apparently actually belonged there.

I doubt this line will be nearly so indistinct with both divisions under the same roof and therefore not competing with one another.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nipun Chopra, PhD‏ @NipunChopra7 41m41 minutes ago
    Retweeted USLD3
    OCSC-2 next, bringing # of teams to 6.
    At one point, I was hearing rumors that Brazilian legend Kaka would be head coach of OCSC-2, but, I was never able to confirm them.
    I'm glad we will have a D3 league in 2019!

11. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to need to start announcing a whole lot of new teams very soon to make starting in 2019 viable. Whole idea is to have several teams in small geographic areas to limit travel and cost. At this point Madison and TFC2 will have to play each other 17 times for the conference crown.

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think USL and USL D3 (pro/rel??) is a great thing for US soccer. I really wish it alĺ the best :)

13. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USLD3 said there will several announcements this month. They are looking at 12 to 18 teams and 2 conferences for 2019.

14. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No commitment to pro/rel. USL pres said IF it occurs it will likely be 10 years down the road.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't understand why there's such a resistance to pro/rel in the US. Can someone help me understand?

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Do not plunge this thread into yet another pro-rel discussion on BigSoccer. There are thousands and thousands of posts on this topic elsewhere on this forum. Go read them.

Sandon Mibut, Todorojo, 2in10 and 3 others repped this.
  17. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Here you go. A mere 638 pages (at the time of writing) of backstory to get you caught up!

2in10, C-Rob, aetraxx7 and 3 others repped this.
  18. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the baseline? Spend money and get nothing in return from USSF or even your league. Franchise fees are arbitrary. Anyone can charge anything, that has nothing to do with the division.

Any D2 can pay what they want and spend what they want. Any D3 can do the same. There's not much difference in what FC Cincinnati or Tampa is spending now compared to what they were in D3 (a year ago). Choose any small budget team, and it's the same situation.

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    :eek::eek::eek:
    This controversial?

Yep...nevermind :)

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    We'll see you in a few years when you finish reading that thread!

aetraxx7 repped this.
  21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I won't bother trying. Besides, soon we'll have no part in USL anyways

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And you'll have no further need to post on these threads!

That's a win-win!

JDogindy, Todorojo, GalaxyKoa and 3 others repped this.
  23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As long as Canadian teams are part of the USSF, I'll be here ;)

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    FTFY

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ottawa Fury = USL (check)
    Ottawa Fury moving to CPL (check)

Others actually like knowing about the details, you don't like it, just ignore me