USL General News thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by thefishy, Sep 28, 2014.

1. pieper1850

pieper1850 Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

The map suggests that USL D3 is interested in Milwaukee. We know the Torrent are not the club seeking to join NISA. Does anyone know if they have plans to join USL D3? Is that the big announcement come October 1?

2. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, I just put in a request for my hometown of Norfolk Va.

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    FC Edmonton owner confirms attendance at CanPL meetings, says USL not an option

https://the11.ca/fc-edmonton-owner-confirms-attendance-at-canpl-meetings-says-usl-not-an-option/

They really don't like USL nor the franchise model

4. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looks like CPL will be the best fit for them then. D1 league in all and the name that favors independent model.

Everyone wins.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  6. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    I meant that they have until then to present to the USSF the plan for each waiver request so that each waiver request would not need to be made next year.

athletics68 and AndyMead repped this.
  7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, exactly, does he think he owns?

The whole "no salary cap, own your own intellectual property, everyone's in this together, league-ostensibly-owned-by-its-members" thing hasn't exactly become the revolutionary D2 league setting the landscape on fire, now, has it?

By all means, stay in the Amazing Shrinking League, then, or take a flier on a league under the auspices of Soccer Canada, which can't even qualify for the hex.

Obstinance, thy name is Fath.

hipityhop repped this.
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first two might exist in 2019. The third likely will.

hipityhop repped this.
  10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    just reporting here what he said there. In regards to USL, it's possible that he was being specific about being an MLS affiliate. I think he was pointed out that this scenario was out of the question for his club.

When Ottawa Fury became Montreal Impact affiliate, it rubbed a lot of Fury fans the wrong way in Ottawa and the majority of them wants the club in CPL. Ottawa has a history of being on equal footing in the NHL and CFL with Montreal, it's understandable why the fans didn't like it.

From early reports and interview with CPL's Paul Beirne, teams won't be in a single entity league like MLS. The league is more likely to be a league operated as an association of independently owned teams but with a more robust centralized supervision overseeing the league.

No, CPL won't be NASL like Fath seems to prefer but it seems CPL might have found an in-between between single entity and clubs operating independently. Of course, we won't know until more details comes out

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2018 is a 50/50 for CPL
    2019 is 100% happening

NASL is the question mark. One this is sure, CPL will be division 1 and both NASL and USL below

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Division 1, except when they are clearly not.

And again, just because some USL teams are owned by MLS clubs or have loaned in players, I'm still failing to see the vast gulf of difference between NASL and USL.

I've been here a long time. It's 99% semantics.

Blando13 repped this.
  13. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally, the NASL started (again) because the clubs wanted to pay higher salaries than what USL was "permitting." It truly was a greater difference in D2 and D3. I imagine that gap has shrunk a little since that split.

In December I talked with a high-level official who has reffed MLS, NASL, and USL. I asked him the difference in NASL and USL, he said NASL was better, talent and the way the players acted. He said it is much more professional than USL is.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Reports points out that the CPL to operate with higher budget than NASL and reports said the Fury were "shocked" at the CPL budget and financial plans.

Also, this belief that anything not MLS should not be called Division 1 is getting old. The country's Association along with FIFA determines what's Division 1 or not, not people on the internet claiming that anything not MLS level isn't truly Division 1 otherwise, we could turn around and say that MLS isn't a "true" D1 in comparison to Liga MX, and no they aren't in the same league. It just means that CPL will be Canada's top tier, the same way Haiti, Jamaica, Honduras or Australia have top tier.

Best to just leave it at that

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Don't count your soccer leagues until they hatch?

soccersubjectively and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've got some great photos from the WPS 2012 College Draft. Would you like to see them?

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I imagine a league with a 3,000 x 75 mile (give or take) footprint would require a substantial travel budget.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    no clue what you're talking about

How does the CFL and NHL does it?
    How does the Toronto Wolfpack (Canadian Rugby team playing in the English system) does it...from across the ocean?

Paul Beirne already went on record saying travel costs isn't a factor in the success or failure of the league. USL and NASL teams are already traveling bigger distance than what CPL teams will have to do.

Not being as rich as the US doesn't mean we aren't rich at all ourselves. I'd like to think that the 10th economy on the planet can start it's own soccer league.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There's a reason for that. There was no 2012 WPS season. The league was canceled after the teams were already in training.

Seriously?

Until eight or nine years ago, each and every team in the NHL had a player payroll greater than all of MLS. The financial wherewithal of the NHL isn't the least bit relevant to the proposed CPL.

As for the CFL, you're talking 9 road trips total. How many games in a CPL season?

Look, I hope the CPL launches and is successful. The more, the merrier. But anyone proclaiming that a professional soccer league in the U.S./Canada is 100% certain to launch a year and a half out is engaging in hyperbole or self-delusion.

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    According to the league of course but hey, a guy can be optimistic

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have money.

AndyMead repped this.
  22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You mean the owners, so far CPL owners that went public have a lot of it as well

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think he's referring to revenue streams.

And "being really, really rich" is not the same thing as "having a lot of money".

Wealth and cash flow are not the same thing. And it's very common to have one, but not the other.

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Paul Beirne already went on record stating that travel costs wouldn't be an issue at all

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He can go on record saying that the Moon is made of solid gold. That doesn't mean he's right in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary.